Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

I will answer any question you have about Doomworld

Ok, ummmm,

Q1:Why did you start doomworld?

Q2:Exactly how many charters can be on one post?

Q3:What Dose Fredrik got to do with post hell?

Now this right here is a worthy thread, because Ling, as our leader, should do these things, even if none of the questions are particularly useful.

Here's my questions: How often do you Doom anymore? Do you make levels? And to what extent does DoomWorld affect your social life?

Why is the background for your avatar yellow?

dsm made it for me, you can go ask him.

Man why did you hire those jerk stores mewse and Cyb

Because I didn't want to update DW and they asked so I gave them the password and told them to go nuts.

Why doesnt theming work in the forums?

Because the forums don't use CSS, which is what makes theming possible / easy.

Q1:Why did you start doomworld?

Marv asked me back in early 1998 if I wanted to run it and I said yes.

Q2:Exactly how many charters can be on one post?

Characters? Checking... 50,000. I should lower that.

Q3:What Dose Fredrik got to do with post hell?

When I made the alternate masthead for Post Hell, fredrik was in a spamming phase and was pissing me off. This is the thread in the background.

How often do you Doom anymore? Do you make levels? And to what extent does DoomWorld affect your social life?

I Doom less than I used to but I still do occasionally. I don't make levels because I suck at it. DW doesn't affect my social life any more than me fucking around on the rest of the internet does.

What is up with that guys head thingy in the upper left corner in Post Hell?

And why is there a Mod for PH? does it really need to be moderated?

And why am I such a wad?

Is there a limit to how many members can be online at once? If so do you happen to kno what that number is?

Are you a god?

Are you The god?

Why am I asking these questions?

Should I cease these pointless questions?

Who came up with the idea of Post Hell?

Who was the very first person to be PH'd?

Do you build up homicidal rage after reading these forums at times?

(remembered some other things I wondered)

What do you like best about running doomworld?

What do you like lest about running doomworld

Dose it cost anything to run doomworld?

have any id members contacted you or anyone else involved in running doomworld regarding this site?

Why dose a slash appear when ever you put an apostrophe in a poll?

Have you thought about adding new forum categories. I'm sure you'll have to add a few when Doom 3 is released, but I mean other categories besides that?

Can a thread that's been thrown into Hell be restored again, or is it lost forever?

Interesting that these are almost all forum questions, I was hoping to field some questions about Doomworld in general, or Doom in general, or whatever.

What is up with that guys head thingy in the upper left corner in Post Hell?

That's Fredrik, who was a big troll and Post Hell fixture at the time I made the graphic. Also, the silhouette in the logo is bbg.

And why is there a Mod for PH? does it really need to be moderated?

It originally was an indication that BBG was a lamer whose threads got Post Helled a lot. Now it's tradition or something.

Is there a limit to how many members can be online at once? If so do you happen to kno what that number is?

Dunno, whatever the software and server can handle.

Who came up with the idea of Post Hell?

I did, but I stole the idea from the Something Awful forums.

Who was the very first person to be PH'd?

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22

Do you build up homicidal rage after reading these forums at times?

Only when there's something fucking retarded, like people spamming or someone asking why if we evolved from monkeys, why are there still monkeys around.

What do you like best about running doomworld?

It's easy nowadays because I've either automated everything or have nice frontends for them.

What do you like lest about running doomworld

That I can't administer the server and do lots of things I would like to do.

Dose it cost anything to run doomworld?

It's free to me. I've thought about going off and making an "independent" Doom site paid for out of my pocket and reimbursed by hopeful donations, but... no.

have any id members contacted you or anyone else involved in running doomworld regarding this site?

Dunno, I've emailed id people regarding various things, interviews, questions, etc. At least one idder regularly reads the Doom 3 forum. Jim Dose once emailed me to argue about something I wrote about the P3-700 being an unlikely minimum target by the time the game comes out. One of the artists (Ken Scott? Brandon James?) emailed me because I had written a script to harass id Software members when they visited DW to give me exclusive info.

Why dose a slash appear when ever you put an apostrophe in a poll?

Bug in the software. The slash is an escape character that is added so the string won't fuck up MySQL or PHP. I guess the software forgets to strip them out.

Have you thought about adding new forum categories. I'm sure you'll have to add a few when Doom 3 is released, but I mean other categories besides that?

Christ, there are enough categories as it is. When Doom 3 comes out, it'll get more categories, but as for now, I have no plans to add any more.

Can a thread that's been thrown into Hell be restored again, or is it lost forever?

Of course it can be restored. I am the Admin. I can do anything.

What were the tools that you created the first incarnation of DW with?

Has DW ever had music at all on the front page?

How many times has some lamer tried to crack (hack) the site?

What is the greatest prank you have ever pulled on the DW main page?

What were the tools that you created the first incarnation of DW with?

The first incarnation was not designed by me but instead by "halogen". I suppose I used Wordpad to add/modify crap on it.

Has DW ever had music at all on the front page?

Yes, I *think* that there was a short time on one day when it did. It was probably April Fool's Day. I seem to remember getting an email from someone (probably Rez) bitching about it because it almost blew out his speakers or some shit.

How many times has some lamer tried to crack (hack) the site?

No one has succeeded, so I have no idea.

What is the greatest prank you have ever pulled on the DW main page?

Probably April 1, 2000 when Doomworld and Doom Nation switched places.

Uh, I don't know if you can get this all of this information, but...

1. Who in the doomworld forums has most posts
2. What thread has got most replies
3. Has anyone ever got kicked out of the forums by mods
4. What is the wad you have enjoyed the most
5. What is the starting day of doomworld
6. How many visitors doomworld has on average

Why do Doom 3 database section of Doomworld or some other particular sections seem so unorganized? Especially the way of how you view those Doom 3 screenies that you can't have them displayed all at once, and it uses big blunt fonts and such....

Why does not Doomworld itself have a database for basic Doom & Doom II information on the monsters(with proper descriptions), weapons, reviews of official levels, etc.

GS-1719 said:

How do you go about getting a custom title?

I'd tell ou, but i'd be killed.

Hey ling, what inspired you to use the name linguica?

Do you have super powers?

Can i have $5?

fraggle said:

Why is the background for your avatar yellow?

Because I was trying to come up with a background colour I hadn't used already and finding one that made all the "sausage eel's" details clearly visible was a bitch. I did consider making the background a similar colour to that of DW's "standard" background (y'know, that dark blue colour), but it didn't work out.

Ling hasn't complained about it yet, so I guess it's all right with him.

On to the questions to the DW General:
1. What inspired you to call the site Doomworld?
2. What previous experience (if any) did you have with making websites and ,hm, "adding" forums to websites?
3. Who was/were the first member(s) to join DW?

What do you think the future holds for DW, or what do you have in mind for DW (what with the recent flood of newbies, Doom3, and departures of some of the better known community members)? Who do you think is now the biggest spammer, excluding BBG and Fredrik? And what happened to Zaldron?

Is Mordeth a super mod or admin? Cause in his title it says Super Moderator, but I'd just like to be sure here.

DooMBoy said:
Is Mordeth a super mod or admin? Cause in his title it says Super Moderator, but I'd just like to be sure here.

Fear me regardless ;)

Do you think you will change the style of the website for when Doom 3 comes out?

Um, let me think of another...

Are you going to regret the day that Doom 3 comes out because of all of the new people that will come and post on here?

That's Fredrik, who was a big troll and Post Hell fixture at the time I made the graphic.

Uh, well. You're of course right, but I'd like to defend myself a bit.

I was certainly spamming back then in the sense that I posted redundant, obsolete and meaningless stuff, but I didn't post crap in that meaning. During my stay here at the Doomworld forums, I have not created any more than two or three threads in total that have ended up in Post Hell. I also don't recall that any of my posts have directly lead to the PH:ing of a thread (although I could be wrong about this).

Mosts posts weren't like "fp! props to all logged in trolls!", more like "<quote> heh". Anyway, sorry, in case I haven't said that already :P

Do you have any regrets of deciding to run Doomworld?

DooMer 4ever said:

1. Who in the doomworld forums has most posts

This one is easy, but I'll leave it to Lord Linguica.