Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BlackxZodiac13

PC Doom with PSX Doom lighting, sounds and no limitations

Wouldn't it be cool if you can play all the PC maps just as they are with the ambient lighting, sounds/music and UDMF format?

I've been hoping someone in the group would eventually consider this for a project. Any thoughts on this idea?

There is the original PSX Doom TC, and the more recent one by GEC that is a lot more accurate by being based on reverse engineering.

And for the actual Playstation Doom, there's a project that does the reverse - putting the cut maps back into Playstation Doom itself.

2 minutes ago, Dark Pulse said:

There is the original PSX Doom TC, and the more recent one by GEC that is a lot more accurate by being based on reverse engineering.

And for the actual Playstation Doom, there's a project that does the reverse - putting the cut maps back into Playstation Doom itself.

Yes I'm well aware of those but I mean more as keeping all the areas that got cut out due to limitations intact. For example: Containment Area in PSX doom got majorly reduced due to limitations of RAM in the PSX. I would love to see the entire PC map but with all the fundamentals of the PSX style.

Just now, BlackxZodiac13 said:

Yes I'm well aware of those but I mean more as keeping all the areas that got cut out due to limitations intact. For example: Containment Area in PSX doom got majorly reduced due to limitations of RAM in the PSX. I would love to see the entire PC map but with all the fundamentals of the PSX style.

At that point you'd need to modify the map itself for the proper colored lighting, and account for the fact lighting was multiplied.

It's entirely possible, of course, just will take some work.

22 minutes ago, Dark Pulse said:

At that point you'd need to modify the map itself for the proper colored lighting, and account for the fact lighting was multiplied.

It's entirely possible, of course, just will take some work.

I might consider giving this a go now that I have a bit more free time or join a group that' currently working on this if possible.

16 minutes ago, Gerardo194 said:

@BlackxZodiac13 If I'm not mistaken, @Impboy4 is working on a project like that you want to see for the GZDoom [GEC] port.

Can you link me to the project? Im really interested in partaking in this sort of project if already established.

I don't have any links, my friend. I saw this in KEX's discord. Maybe you should send a private massage to Impboy04, perhaps he needs some help, who knows?

So after a long time of fully thinking this through I've decided im going to give this a shot.

This will definitely include:

- Complete convertions of the PC maps into UDMF format.

- Keeping all areas and height intact.

- Minimal changes to some textures to better fit the theme of PSX Doom but still have that very PC feel and flow.

- Nightmare monster Variant!!

Hopefully once I get the ball rolling i'll see if anyone wants to help in creating this. If not, Ill gladly do it myself lol.

On 3/26/2019 at 3:53 PM, BlackxZodiac13 said:

So after a long time of fully thinking this through I've decided im going to give this a shot.

This will definitely include:

- Complete convertions of the PC maps into UDMF format.

- Keeping all areas and height intact.

- Minimal changes to some textures to better fit the theme of PSX Doom but still have that very PC feel and flow.

- Nightmare monster Variant!!

Hopefully once I get the ball rolling i'll see if anyone wants to help in creating this. If not, Ill gladly do it myself lol.

I have been a lurker for years but this comment urged me to sign up. I want to say that I've been brainstorming this same exact idea for the past few days and I would love to to see this idea come to be. Its very ambitious but this would be like the best way to play doom (imo).