Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CarrotCake

[Project] Porting Rise of the Triad: Dark War to Doom II

Hello everyone,

As the title implies, I'm currently thinking about building tools to “port” the Rise of the Triad: Dark War assets (WAD, RTC, RTL files, and so-on) to a single total conversion WAD.

The reason behind it is because I've spent years trying to refactor Rise of the Triad source code on my own, with no success. The engine is cryptic, not very well designed, while Doom is very well made and has countless various ports.

I am NOT looking to make a ZDoom mod, but a WAD file that could work with Chocolate Doom (unless lifting some restrictions is absolutely necessary).

I've already wrote some tools to analyze and extract some of the data.

And now all if have to do is to understand how to translate this whole mess into a properly made IWAD.

I'm looking for resources to achieve that, as ZDoom modding seems much more popular today than mods for the original engine.

Best regards.

I am NOT looking to make a ZDoom mod, but a WAD file that could work with Chocolate Doom

Not possible. ROTT actors have complex behavior which cannot be duplicated in Vanilla Doom, let alone stuff like actors overlapping the same position being a fundamenal aspect of the game, or walls which move horizontally.

ROTT has a modernized Wolfenstein 3D engine. This means it has a fundamental limitation in that maps are made out of square cells. This is a limit Doom does not have, allowing each sector to be tiny or large, and especially to have non-orthogonal shapes. ROTT can also only have one floor and one ceiling height for the entire map.

To be more interesting than Wolf3D, ROTT tried to compensate by extending the engine with more features. This includes some basics that you also find in Doom (such as textured floors and ceilings) but also less basics that you will not at all find in Doom, and chief among them are the GADs, these little flying platforms that allow to have several "floors" to play on a level. There are also a variety of other effects, such as the Wolf3D pushwalls being also used for traps and some that are perpetually moving. The game also features a lot of special weapon and powerup effects that range from very hard to impossible to replicate in Doom. Infinite ammo for hitscan weapons is, I believe, impossible to do in vanilla -- I remember reading that it corrupts the max shell value. And the whole behavior of dropping a rocket launcher when you pick another is utterly impossible to replicate in vanilla Doom, too; even in ZDoom it's only possible through ZScript, so it's something that's only been made possible recently.

You can make a ROTT TC for vanilla Doom, but it will be lacking several core ROTT elements. You can compensate by adding Doomier elements that ROTT is lacking, so you'll end with a Doom TC using ROTT textures rather than a ROTT TC, but it'll work in Choco.

If you want to replicate fully ROTT's gameplay in Doom, though, you will have to use an advanced port like ZDoom. I will point out the excellent Return of the Triad TC.

Or you can try to see how far along EDGE's support for ROTT is. That'll give you ROTT in a Doom engine.

31 minutes ago, Gez said:

If you want to replicate fully ROTT's gameplay in Doom, though, you will have to use an advanced port like ZDoom. I will point out the excellent Return of the Triad TC.

I was just gonna mention that one as soon as I saw this thread, it did a great job of replicating ROTT in GZDoom, would love to see another like it. Best of luck CarrotCake!

Thank you Beezle, but the project is born-dead. I'm not looking to do anything in the vein of Return of the Triad TC, even though I must admit it is some very impressive work.