Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

A question about modeldefs and frame indexes

Perhaps I am misunderstanding how models work in gzdoom, but is there a hard limit in the number of frames an actor can have? I already knew that the number of frames per frameindex is limited to the letters of the alphabet, but I thought it was possible to bypass this by just creating new models with their own frame indexes so that the animation could be continued. However after reading the zdoom wiki page on modeldef unless I am misunderstanding something each actor is limited to only one frameindex. I thought I could get around this by just creating a new modeldef definition with it's own separate model and frameindex, but it appears that each modeldef definition also requires it's own decorate actor. So I'm assuming this means you are suppose to define more than one model within the same modeldef definition then? But doesn't that mean then that all the models have to share the same frame index? Or am I missing something?

EDIT: Actually, after reading the wiki page a bit better it appears that it's possible to define more than 1 index. So do you just create a separate frameindex for each individual model within the modeldef definition then?

EDIT 2: Uh, this is getting weird. I added a second model definition into the modeldef and a second frameindex but in-game both models appear at the same time for some reason which wasn't the intended purpose. This is what the modeldef looks like:

Model SSG
{

Path "Models/SSG"
Model 0 "SSG.md3"
Model 1 "SSGFloat.md3"
scale -18 18 18.20

frameindex SSGF A 0 0

frameindex SSGP A 1 0

}

Edited by hardcore_gamer

4 hours ago, hardcore_gamer said:

Perhaps I am misunderstanding how models work in gzdoom, but is there a hard limit in the number of frames an actor can have? I already knew that the number of frames per frameindex is limited to the letters of the alphabet, but I thought it was possible to bypass this by just creating new models with their own frame indexes so that the animation could be continued. However after reading the zdoom wiki page on modeldef unless I am misunderstanding something each actor is limited to only one frameindex. I thought I could get around this by just creating a new modeldef definition with it's own separate model and frameindex, but it appears that each modeldef definition also requires it's own decorate actor. So I'm assuming this means you are suppose to define more than one model within the same modeldef definition then? But doesn't that mean then that all the models have to share the same frame index? Or am I missing something?

EDIT: Actually, after reading the wiki page a bit better it appears that it's possible to define more than 1 index. So do you just create a separate frameindex for each individual model within the modeldef definition then?

EDIT 2: Uh, this is getting weird. I added a second model definition into the modeldef and a second frameindex but in-game both models appear at the same time for some reason which wasn't the intended purpose. This is what the modeldef looks like:

Model SSG
{

Path "Models/SSG"
Model 0 "SSG.md3"
Model 1 "SSGFloat.md3"
scale -18 18 18.20

frameindex SSGF A 0 0

frameindex SSGP A 1 0

}

There is no hard limit per say, you just have to define different frame indexes:

MODELDEF:

Model CFan1
{
Path "Models/CFan1"
Model 0 "CFan1.md3"
Scale 1 1 1
FrameIndex CFN1 A 0 1
FrameIndex CFN1 B 0 2
FrameIndex CFN1 C 0 3
FrameIndex CFN1 D 0 4
FrameIndex CFN1 E 0 5
FrameIndex CFN1 F 0 6
FrameIndex CFN1 G 0 7
FrameIndex CFN1 H 0 8
FrameIndex CFN1 I 0 9
FrameIndex CFN1 J 0 10
FrameIndex CFN1 K 0 11
FrameIndex CFN1 L 0 12
FrameIndex CFN1 M 0 13
FrameIndex CFN1 N 0 14
FrameIndex CFN1 O 0 15
FrameIndex CFN1 P 0 16
FrameIndex CFN1 Q 0 17
FrameIndex CFN1 R 0 18
FrameIndex CFN1 S 0 19
FrameIndex CFN1 T 0 20
FrameIndex CFN1 U 0 21
FrameIndex CFN1 V 0 22
FrameIndex CFN1 W 0 23
FrameIndex CFN1 X 0 24
FrameIndex CFN1 Y 0 25
FrameIndex CFN1 Z 0 26
FrameIndex CFN2 A 0 27
FrameIndex CFN2 B 0 28
FrameIndex CFN2 C 0 29
FrameIndex CFN2 D 0 30
FrameIndex CFN2 E 0 31
FrameIndex CFN2 F 0 32
FrameIndex CFN2 G 0 33
FrameIndex CFN2 H 0 34
FrameIndex CFN2 I 0 35
FrameIndex CFN2 J 0 36
FrameIndex CFN2 K 0 37
FrameIndex CFN2 L 0 38
FrameIndex CFN2 M 0 39
FrameIndex CFN2 N 0 40
}

DECORATE:

Actor CFan1 1003
{
+SOLID
+NOGRAVITY
States
{
Spawn:
CFN1 ABCDEFGHIJKLM 3
CFN1 NOPQRSTUVWXYZ 3
CFN2 ABCDEFGHIJ 3
Loop
}
}

Taken from my ceiling fan model, which has 40 frames of animation.