Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

The /newstuff Chronicles #98

Ultimate DooMer:

Lame Heretic by Mark Dravich - Lame Heretic is err... a lame Heretic episode! It replaces all of episode 1, with basic design, repetitive use of castle stone textures (except two brown cave maps), few monsters and far, far too many items and ammo units. All this means that the detail is basic and the gameplay is easy. I will find some positive points though - the gameplay improves (by it's own low standard) towards the end, when the liches start to appear, and the big fight in the last level is fairly good. It's also a beta, so hopefully the next version will be better. Overall though, one to miss.

King Arthur's Camelot by Richard J Sham - Prepare to let the blood fly as you enter a castle with one main central area, a few smaller rooms and battlements where you can walk right round. The action is fast and furious throughout, and there are lots of traps, big and small (you'll be surprised more than once here). Ammo and health are balanced really well for a high-carnage map (ie. not too little so you end up taking on everyone with just a shotgun, and not too much so you're wondering around with 100 rockets and 500 cells all the time), and there are some really tricky bits, especially the room with the 2 walkways in (some players might need to switch to skill 3, as UV is tough). Detail is not too intricate, perhaps a little under-detailed for a gothic map but it's not bad either. But the gameplay steals the show here, and it's quite good fun. I was particularly impressed with the monster placement in the central area to start with, as it requires tactics as well as speed and skill. This map is recommended, especially if you like challenging maps with lots of carnage, traps and a bit of in-fighting. Requires Gothic Textures.

Face Fix by Adamizer - This fixes a bug where, apparently the marines eyes go blue after continually firing the shotgun/chaingun for a while (I've never noticed that myself).

Super Mario DooM by Mark Dravich - Replaces graphics, sounds and music with 8-bit mario stuff. Very offbeat, quite humourous at times (especially blowing everyone up with "flower power"....which if you haven't guessed, is a flower replacing the rocket launcher). Surprisingly, it could actually make the game harder IMO, as most enemies are replaced by tiny sprites, making it harder to hit them! It would be great in a Mario-themed level/episode, but it looks a bit out of place in DooM (especially the new flats).

Plutonia Easy by sparky - A patch that replaces chaingunners with shotgunners in Plutonia, although playing on skill 2 without this patch is probably a better option for those who find Plutonia too hard on skill 3/4 - unless you find skill 2 too hard, in which case you know what to do....
(personally, I play on skill 4 with -fast).

DooM from our Mouth by Zach and Corwin Blence - This has to be the 1337 of non map wads - a wad that replaces all sounds with....wait for it....sounds made by the mouth! Totally bonkers! (it's quite funny, too).

Scientist by Scientist - This is the authors first wad, but it certainly doesn't show. 11 quality levels for DooM 2, split into 2 episodes, the first of which (maps 01-06) is industrial/city like and the second one (maps 07-11) is set in an icy base. Detail is good throughout, nicely consistent with the theme of the maps, and to me the second episode reminds me of Duke 3D's icy/lunar cave maps. The gameplay is challenging, with plenty of big monsters beyond the first map, and it is made harder by the lack of an SSG for the first few maps (which is good IMO), so a lot of killing big monsters with single shotgun is in order. There are some new sprites - the SS soldier is replaced by the mad scientist (who has a nasty habit of disappearing), the SSG is replaced by two single shotguns, meaning you get to go around shooting everything Arnie-style (which is cool), and a couple of frozen statues (which again, reminds me of Duke 3D). The health and ammo is balanced quite well (not too little, not too much) and the levels tend to get easier as you go along, mostly due to the SSG and the occasional supercharge/blue armour. Some players might find the early maps a bit too challenging on UV (esp. map 02 and 03) and one or two of its maps are a little below par compared to the other maps, but overall it's a good quality, challenging, atmospheric wad that's definitely recommended. It's even doom2.exe compatible, although I recommend a source port. (I used ZDoom, which doesn't require the DeuSF process).

Sidus by 1 anonymous author - A small map comprising of 5 different areas. The architecture is fairly basic, with no consistent theme in terms of the choices of textures, but there are some nice visuals, namely a fast-scrolling sky giving the impression of roiling grey clouds. However, the gameplay is a little better, with the finely balanced ammo and health, no armour and scrolling floors forcing you (or at least trying to) into each area, where you will encounter a few tough close-quarters battles. This wad might annoy those who hate close-up battles with Barons, but if you like close-up battles, then this one's for you. Requires a Boom-compatible port.

Wander by 2 anonymous authors - An aptly-named wad, cos that's basically what you do: wander round in a big green maze with seemingly random-placed monsters of various strengths. Ammo is barely sufficient, health is nonexistent for the first part and the maze has too many dead ends in it. However this wad has one redeeming feature - two open areas which both stage a battle royale with a large number of monsters. You get tooled up with health, ammo and armour just before them, but the battles are pretty tough. If you like tough maps, then play this for the two battles, and grit your teeth through the rest of it. Requires a Boom-compatible port.

And now for deathz0r:

Doom Face Fix by Adamizer - According to the text file, there's some error with the original doom face graphics (eye colours) that in most graphics, the eyes are black, and in others, they are blue. However, I didn't really notice much of a difference. So.... whatever.

Doom: From Our Mouth by Zach and Corwin Brence - Wow, two sound wads in two weeks that replaces all the sounds! This sound wad is meant to be funny, but it did not make me laugh at all, unlike andysoun.wad. However, there are a few sounds which actually are quite good, but they must of been "couple (or three) sounds mix/pasted from the Red Alert desktop theme pack.", since the rest horrendously suck. Unless you're the type who prefers to mirror everything, don't even bother downloading this.

King Arthur's Camelot by Richard J. Sham - Hmm... I think I'll start with the good points today - moderately hard gameplay, above average detailing, even though it's mostly 90 degree walls, nice music replacement, and some rather nice editing tricks. The most best example I saw is that he makes a bridge with dummy sectors that changes two different textured sectors into a third texture. Unfortunately, i must speak out the bad points - First off, you have to download a friggin texture set. I hate being forced to download extra files. However, it is only a 700kb zip. Another bad part that I really hate is the really crappy sound replacements. If you're the type who doesn't have a status bar up, you'd probably be thinking that you're Chewbacca or something similar when you hear the player pain sounds. I also couldn't find any signs of level exits. Besides those negatives, it's a good map that deserves some attention.

Lame Heretic Beta V2 by Mark Dravich - This weeks only Heretic wad and it's a complete waste of downloading time and playing time. If this is supposed to be a 1337.wad wannabe, I suggest that Mark should give up now. I'm serious.

Super Mario Doom by Mark Dravich - Unlike his other wad for this week, I must admit that this does have some entertainment value, but it really would of been better if the sprites were actually easy to see and that he included some maps. Even a few shitty maps with 90 degree walls that shows off the textures and flats inside the wad would be good enough for this novelty wad. I guess that Mario fans would enjoy this, but the major flaw is that the sprites are their original size, 16x16. (32x32 for Bowser) I also put monsters in these screenshots, so sue me.

Plutonia Easy by Sparky - I didn't actually bother to look at this patch, because the text file says that it makes Plutonia easier. The author says that he couldn't beat it on the lowest skill level... Anyway, if you are the type who thinks that Plutonia is almost impossible, this is for you. Otherwise, it isn't worth the download.

Scientist by Scientist - At first, it sounded to me like it was his autobiography in Doom format, but it actually turns out to be a mini-megawad, replacing 11 levels, the ssg graphics and the SS dude with a scientist. For a first wad, this is pretty damn good, showing off a lot of neat editing tricks, and some rather nice conveyor belt trick, which is created with animated textures. Gameplay is rather good, with a moderate amount of enemies throughout the wad, but you have to face against a spider demon in the second map. The first episode is a mixture of Doom 1 style texturing and Doom 2 style outdoor areas. The second episode is based in Siberia, and is presented very well. The only bad points about this wad is that it has no music replacements, and the new SSG graphics combined with the old sounds doesn't really mix that well. All of this, and it works in doom2.exe! So if you are a source port freak or a hardcore doom2.exe oldschooler, I recommend you to take a look at this, because I believe that this guy has the potentional to become a mapper within the top ranks.

Sidus by An anonymous author - Single map that requires Boom. I don't know why the author went anonymous, but I believe the reason is that their wad sucks. It's mostly very cramped and with the most annoying ceiling scroll speed that I have ever seen in my life. There's also a lot of Baron of Hells and Hell Knights in the cramped areas, and they seem to teleport behind you, making you surrounded and almost impossible to survive. If i was bothered making an animation to show how annoying it is, I'd put one up.

Wander by 2 anonymous authors - Predicted conversation that made this wad exist:
"HEY, LETZ MAKE SOME CRAPPY MAZE MAP AND FILL IT UP WITH ENEMIES AND DEAD ENDS"
"OK, REMEMBER TO PUT SOME CRUSHING CEILINGS IN!"
That pretty much describes it, with a few badly detailed rooms thrown in at random spots. Requires Boom.

Already played Scientist, all the others ('cept the Camelot one) look
like they're awful, so I won't bother downloading anything.

Face Fix?? WTF?!?! Who cares about having blue eyes? It's probably the
reflection of your gun in your eye because of the discharge. Stupidest
patch ever.

Also, good reviews guys!

yeah i made lame heretic as a joke! i was bored so i deiced to do somethin else oh well it sucks! i just loaded it up and said: wtf was i doin! I played Scientist and camelot! they are pretty good! too bad i'll never able to do levels like that because i suck at map editing!

drav35 said:

yeah i made lame heretic as a joke! i was bored so i deiced to do somethin else oh well it sucks! i just loaded it up and said: wtf was i doin! I played Scientist and camelot! they are pretty good! too bad i'll never able to do levels like that because i suck at map editing!

Never say never!

I'm just starting on map 4 but can see Scientist is a very attractive multi-level wad and the gameplay is fun!

[...]repetitive use of castle stone textures

Much like the original game then *ducks*

a lame Heretic episode!

Much like the orig... damn I already made that joke.

I don't know why the author went anonymous, but I believe the reason is that their wad sucks.

LOL.

Unfortunately, i must speak out the bad points - First off, you have to download a friggin texture set. I hate being forced to download extra files.

Judging from the screenshots it was GothicDM texture pak, wich makes me wonder, where you've been since -98.

[B]Wander by 2 anonymous authors [B/]

Believe me or not but i had the EXACT SAME wad, with the authors true names XD [EVIL]Lance Hyman & Phillip Todd [/EVIL]

kristus said:

Judging from the screenshots it was GothicDM texture pak, wich makes me wonder, where you've been since -98.

well, at least it had a url in the camelot text file.... if it said something like "GO DOWNLOAD THIS TEXTURE WAD GO FIND IT YOURSELF", i would of deleted the zip off my HD in an instant.

Great to see you releasing maps again Rich!
Yeah the GothicDM textures are a really nice set, worth checking out if you haven't.

magikal said:

Great to see you releasing maps again Rich!
Yeah the GothicDM textures are a really nice set, worth checking out if you haven't.

Thanks Magic!

Looking forward to you and Greg releasing your multilevel wad - Doom 1.5 'A Lunar Incursion'.

Just downloaded scientist and camelot. No inconvenience caused by Camelot requiring gothictx.zip, as I already downloaded it (like a year ago, along with several other texture wads). I thought everyone would have stuff like retres.zip and gothictx.zip by now..

I've played up to map03 of Scientist. So far, it's quite fun to play/look at. Compared with other first wads, it kicks ass. Architecture is on par with Memento Mori I/II and so is gameplay. Hell, sometimes it's better. That lost soul art on map01 is actually a completely new special effect...

Camelot.. hmm.. Awesome gameplay, architecture that never hurts the eyes, and uh... It reminds me of um.. Immortal! Yeah, immortal.wad! There was a map there with exactly the samemusic and very similar layout. Could it be that same map, modified..?

Virgil said:

Just downloaded scientist and camelot. No inconvenience caused by Camelot requiring gothictx.zip, as I already downloaded it (like a year ago, along with several other texture wads). I thought everyone would have stuff like retres.zip and gothictx.zip by now..

Personally, I don't keep WADs in my HDD unless I know I'm going to use them a lot or unless they are very hard to locate.

Virgil said:
Camelot.. hmm.. Awesome gameplay, architecture that never hurts the eyes, and uh... It reminds me of um.. Immortal! Yeah, immortal.wad! There was a map there with exactly the samemusic and very similar layout. Could it be that same map, modified..? [/B]

Thank you for your comments!

Yes, if you look in my text file under *Construction* I point out that the base was a level from an old megawad of mine that I've made design changes too, especially gameplay.

Doom interest was at a low point back when that was released. I'm afraid it saw very little play. I've slowly been redesigning each level and enhancing gameplay.

So YOU were the guy that made Immortal.wad! I used to confuse you with Shams Young, who made relive.zip, slugfest.zip, and torment.zip.

Virgil said:

So YOU were the guy that made Immortal.wad! I used to confuse you with Shams Young, who made relive.zip, slugfest.zip, and torment.zip.

Yes, I designed Immortal.wad but I wouldn't mind being confused with Shamus Young - I like his work, especially slugfest, level 9. The music, design, and atmosphere of that map scared the hell out of me.

Scientist is a cool set of maps from a very talented mapper. Nice visuals and good gameplay. I hope he doesn't quit mapping any time soon. Very hard to believe that is his first.

Camelot is a visually beautiful map that is a maneater on UV. Game play is as much as most of us can handle or want. Very nice job Rich! I can hardly wait for your next one.

Searcher said:

Camelot is a visually beautiful map that is a maneater on UV. Game play is as much as most of us can handle or want. Very nice job Rich! I can hardly wait for your next one.

Agreed, really nice job, beautiful and challenging.