Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomish Den of Design - a map that teaches you map design

The download link wants me to subscribe to a plan, (which I would rather not do) before it will release the file.

3 minutes ago, Korozive said:

The download link wants me to subscribe to a plan, (which I would rather not do) before it will release the file.

Updated, mirrored it on dropbox.

seen this on zdoom forums, never had chance to download it, downloading now!
Looks a pretty cool concept!

I might not agree with everything showcased here (for example describing backtracking as unconditionally good; examples being often super cramped and extremely door-heavy), but it's nevertheless something new mappers should have a look at. For me the most interesting part was the one about colors, since that's a rarely discussed topic.

I love the last shot, with the fake arched ceiling - sweet!

great thing! it should prolly be featured on doom wiki. and i agree that the part about colors is very interesting.

I can't help but to disagree the most on the texturing section. I preferred most 'bad' examples over the 'good' ones, which were pretty dull even though it talked about accents being important. As long as beginners don't take everything to heart and start thinking by themselves, it's all good.

7 hours ago, Kore said:

I can't help but to disagree the most on the texturing section. I preferred most 'bad' examples over the 'good' ones

i guess that the wad tries to tell a beginner that they shoud learn consistent texure usage first. when one get enough expirience, it is possible to violate every rule in the book, and still get a solid result (or even a masterpiece ;-). but when you have little expirience, you'd better choose textures to complement each other. it prolly won't be visually spectacular, but won't cause eye-ache too.

this, and the fact that bad examples are not so bad after all. i think some "ugly" examples would serve better there. ;-)

Great map, had a quick look at it and must say that it is quite awesome to have something like that. It‘s one thing to read a tutorial, but a totally different thing to run around in it and get a feeling for the rooms, layouts and monster placing. I‘m gonna link that to every new „How to map!“ thread from now on.