Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Man of Doom

WRATH: Aeon of Ruin (a new game from 3D Realms)

That rocks for the music, also Destructoid says "the narrative is being penned by a former Blizzard writer". That's cool, I wonder how this will come across in the game. If it'll have any text screens, even a few like Doom and Quake did, any voice, etc.

55 minutes ago, boris said:

In modern Quake maps we see lots of verticality, and it's a real virtue not really seen in modern FPS. 

well these seem to be early levels, so hopefully we'll see some verticality in the later ones.

I don't even know what's real or not any more...

Hmm very interesting! I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this. It was only inevitable that the mid 90's 3D era of FPS's would make a comeback, although i thought that a lot of people didn't really like the "blocky" polygonal look of games from that era as much as the sprite based FPS's, but what do i know? Personally i don't mind it. Considering the fact that this looks a lot smoother though, i'm sure it'll do just fine.

Having the 3D Realms name attached to it also makes it instantly popular no matter what, although i know that they are a completely different company now with the only person who was originally at Apogee/3D Realms who is still there being Scott Miller (at least i think so). As long as the game is good i guess it doesn't really matter. I mean, id Software is pretty different nowadays as well yet people love them just the same.

3 hours ago, DooM_RO said:

So is this basically Arcane Dimensions: The Game?

No.

29 minutes ago, VGA said:

No.

+

That's the impression I was getting. Something like that by the best Quake mappers done to an even higher standard.

Gameplay looks rubbish to me; basic, static and slow. It's a combination of the enemy behaviour, simple level layouts with near-unidirectional combat. On the other hand, the style of the player being recorded probably isn't helping.

A lot can change in a year of development in this kind of engine, so not a total write-off. But time's too short these days for mediocre games!

1 hour ago, holaareola said:

On the other hand, the style of the player being recorded probably isn't helping.

That's where I'd put all accounts on slowness here. The footage very obviously shows a level whose purpose is to serve as a tutorial. Notice the very obvious "airdash to get this secret" and all weapon rooms being set pieces to learn what you can do with them.

Funnily the level design was getting more vertical and interconnected right when it stopped. Maybe we'll get another gameplay video showing something with more spice.

2 hours ago, holaareola said:

Gameplay looks rubbish to me; basic, static and slow. It's a combination of the enemy behaviour, simple level layouts with near-unidirectional combat. On the other hand, the style of the player being recorded probably isn't helping.

A lot can change in a year of development in this kind of engine, so not a total write-off. But time's too short these days for mediocre games!

How do you know it's rubbish? They didn't show more than 1 or 2 seconds for each area.

Edited by DooM_RO

37 minutes ago, DooM_RO said:

How do you know it's rubbish? They didn't show more than 1 or 2 seconds for each area.

Hey, I only said it looks rubbish based on what they've shown. No way of knowing until the game is out. There is a 10 minute gameplay video up where they show more than the seconds-long cuts though.

I think the comparison to Arcane Dimensions is unfair to AD.  The design on some of those levels is unbelievable.

10 hours ago, VGA said:

I don't even know what's real or not any more...

Damn, I thought I was quicker...

16 minutes ago, holaareola said:

Hey, I only said it looks rubbish based on what they've shown. No way of knowing until the game is out. There is a 10 minute gameplay video up where they show more than the seconds-long cuts though.

I think the comparison to Arcane Dimensions is unfair to AD.  The design on some of those levels is unbelievable.

Where is the 10 minute video?

Been following you KillPixel and man does this game look GOOD!. Look forward to trying it out and playing :D.

I don't know about a 10-minute video, but I saw this video on youtube:

7 hours ago, DooM_RO said:

So is this basically Arcane Dimensions: The Game?

Arcane Dimensions is awesome. I actually wish this is the case when it comes to level design (fingers crossed as some pro quake mappers are involved in it).

58 minutes ago, guitardz said:

This exchange is now hilarious with new context:

KillPixel just made VGA(and rest of us) his bitch.

@holaareola

I hear you loud and clear.  I didn't realize at the time that bit of footage would go public.  It's a beta tutorial area being played for the first time by a journalist on a macbook.

I think your fears will be laid to rest soon.

This looks really good. I'll probably wait till after its release and watch some more youtube videos of gameplay, but I think I want this game in the future.

36 minutes ago, KillPixel said:

@holaareola

I hear you loud and clear.  I didn't realize at the time that bit of footage would go public.  It's a beta tutorial area being played for the first time by a journalist on a macbook.

I think your fears will be laid to rest soon.

What about the save system though? Daikatana's save gems have come up in comparison. Can you save whenever you want with a console command or anything like that? It's the only negative thing I've noticed, that's why I'm asking about it.

@PsychoGoatee yes, currently saves are limited to Soul Tethers (in-game quicksaves) and shrines (checkpoints).  The player will always have ample soul tethers - you can save when/wherever you want short of savescumming.

I know this sounds risky, but is implemented well (think resident evil).  I know there were only a few soul tethers in that 11 minute gameplay footage, but don't let that fool you.

I knew this would be a contentious design choice since the beginning - we're going with it for now, and, if it truly ends up being ass, we'll figure something else out.

@scalliano as i sad, beta, those sounds are long gone  :D