Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Man of Doom

WRATH: Aeon of Ruin (a new game from 3D Realms)

Is it still using the Darkplaces engine. If so, how did you do the subsurface water effects?

I hereby declare that you are getting my dollars. Will you provide a way to use the assets for level making with Q1 editors? The base game looks solid and I can see Quake 1 mappers varying their output here and there to grace us with more incredible maps.

@kristus yep, using darkplaces.  what do you mean by subsurface water effects?  are you talking about the caustics underwater in the cave?  that's just an 8 frame animap decal.

@Kira Awesome :D  At launch we'll release all the tools and documentation for modders.  Lifting assets for use in quake maps is a trivial task - just grab the textures and pack them into a wad.  I predict (and hope) people will use wrath assets for doom and quake mods, I think that would be really cool!

On 4/23/2019 at 5:01 PM, KillPixel said:

@kristus yep, using darkplaces.  what do you mean by subsurface water effects?  are you talking about the caustics underwater in the cave?  that's just an 8 frame animap decal.

@Kira Awesome :D  At launch we'll release all the tools and documentation for modders.  Lifting assets for use in quake maps is a trivial task - just grab the textures and pack them into a wad.  I predict (and hope) people will use wrath assets for doom and quake mods, I think that would be really cool!

@KillPixel Will the game itself be open-sourced at launch?

Well, Darkplaces is GPL so Wrath also has to be GPL. Isn't that how it works?

1 hour ago, VGA said:

Well, Darkplaces is GPL so Wrath also has to be GPL. Isn't that how it works?

It can't hurt to ask regardless.

Not necessarily. The engine has to be open but the game code can be closed. Just like a mod for gzdoom doesn't have to include the source for the ACS scripts. Assuming that the source code isn't based on previous code like that of ID or Darkplaces. Which certainly is where it becomes a bit muddy in the case of DP. Because there are certain dependencies you pretty much have to use unless you want to rewrite mundane code just to keep the thing closed. 

Would be surprised if the code wasn't open though. Since that will allow the mod community around the game a chance to thrive.

1 hour ago, KillPixel said:

Absolutely ;)

That's good to know.  This avoids the legal hell that Blood's source code is currently in.

On 3/22/2019 at 1:22 PM, KillPixel said:

Hey guys, I was recently on a podcast where I talk a bit about WRATH, myself and the history behind the game.  Some of you may find it interesting :D

Hey @KillPixel I listened to your podcast and damn what a story! Really glad you persevered and stuck with Wrath even when you were at your lowest. And now with the support of 3D Realms and veteran Quake mappers geez this whole thing must be a dream come true! Congrats!

Also saw the Pre PAX gameplay and  wow the whole thing is very on point. The aesthetic, atmosphere, and combat all look appropriately 90s FPS and I can’t wait to get my hands on it. 

One question BTW. Are we gonna get an old school status bar to go with the centered weapon models?

I wish 3D Realms would do something with the Bio Menace IP. It's been too long since Snake Logan has seen any proper action. 

10 hours ago, Ajora said:

I wish 3D Realms would do something with the Bio Menace IP. It's been too long since Snake Logan has seen any proper action. 

Metal Gear Bio Menace

@chowbar Thanks!  I appreciate that :D  Regarding the old school status bar and centered weapons:  centered weapons is a yes, unsure about the status bar (I'm sure modders could make some thing awesome).

@KillPixel Glad to hear that centered weapons will be there! And honestly I think that’ll be plenty for that old school vibe, a status bar prob would just take up screen size. 

I actually got one more question too. I was rewatching the pre PAX gameplay and I noticed there was a slight camera sway when strafing. It’s not egregious but it is noticeable so will there an option to disable it?

13 minutes ago, KillPixel said:

@chowbar yep, you can disable it entirely (doom style) or or set the exact intensity you want.

Aw hell yeah thanks @KillPixel!

Summer can't come soon enough!

People love to complain about gaming droughts but the reality is we're so spoiled. On the PC we can play games going back many decades and the classic style is far superior to most modern (simplified) FPS. AAA doesn't mean shit, its all about the gameplay. Definitely looking forward to this one after seeing the first real gameplay.

And I played some Ion Maiden v4.1 recently, its way better; you can run around and aim with ease now, the future is very bright for both Quake and the Build engine. 😎

31 minutes ago, Kristian Nebula said:

Looks amazing! The Heretic reminds me a lot of the DOOM64 Pain Elemental btw :)

I was thinking the same thing.

I don't want to start another saving/savescumming discussion, but I don't like the Soul Tether concept at all – I even think I will not buy the game without a normal save system.

2 hours ago, Manuel-K said:

I don't want to start another saving/savescumming discussion, but I don't like the Soul Tether concept at all – I even think I will not buy the game without a normal save system.

I like it.

3 hours ago, Manuel-K said:

It's the darkplaces engine, you can save your game by using the console. 

Just write :

save <savegamename>

To create a quicksave function you can do this:

bind F6 "echo Quicksaving...; wait; save quick "
bind F9 "echo Quickloading...; wait; load quick"

On 3/7/2019 at 3:57 PM, Man of Doom said:

So for a good while, 3D Realms had been teasing an “unannounced FPS on the Quake 1 engine.” 

It’s also being developed by a new studio called KillPixel as well as Quake 1 veterans. 

Oh yeah, and Andrew Hulshult is doing the soundtrack. 

Thoughts?

wonder what sold out musician is going to sue this game

On 8/19/2019 at 4:43 PM, kristus said:

It's the darkplaces engine, you can save your game by using the console. 

That's a good workaround, although it feels like cheating. Even if they blocked it, it will be open source, so if everything fails, it could be repaired that way.

4 hours ago, Manuel-K said:

That's a good workaround, although it feels like cheating. Even if they blocked it, it will be open source, so if everything fails, it could be repaired that way.

Maybe give the feature a chance first.