Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Man of Doom

WRATH: Aeon of Ruin (a new game from 3D Realms)

10 hours ago, DooM_RO said:

Maybe give the feature a chance first. 

It's not a feature. And I will not. I've wasted money on games that have that bug by design.

Just now, Manuel-K said:

It's not a feature. And I will not. I've wasted money on games that have that bug by design.

It sounds like someone doesn't like Dark Souls.

6 minutes ago, DooM_RO said:

It sounds like someone doesn't like Dark Souls.

It sounds like someone, i.e. you, doesn't have s shred of self control so that someone needs external control to be kept from abusing a mechanism.

There are so many games with bad save mechanisms (e.g. that Warhammer one with checkpoint saves that have unskipable cutscenes after a save) that I will never buy such a game again. I like to be able to choose if and when I save a game. That can be never if I set myself that challenge (and I don't need achievements for that either) or more often when something has stupid difficulty spikes or other bad design choices (like sudden quicktime events).

On 8/21/2019 at 7:30 AM, Manuel-K said:

It sounds like someone, i.e. you, doesn't have s shred of self control so that someone needs external control to be kept from abusing a mechanism.

Saves are a resource in this game. You need to manage them, it's part of the gameplay, not unlike how ammo and health are also resources.

You could use the same logic to justify making any resource in any game infinite.

Remove death from Doom entirely and the out-of-ammo mechanics... just apply self-control to restart the level yourself or stop using the weapon yourself when you feel like you've used too much ammo or taken too much damage.

But I expect there will be either a difficulty setting or a cheatcode to enable infinite saves in the game. It's using the quake engine so there's a console and it's gonna be moddable.

On 8/21/2019 at 7:30 AM, Manuel-K said:

There are so many games with bad save mechanisms (e.g. that Warhammer one with checkpoint saves that have unskipable cutscenes after a save) that I will never buy such a game again

There are games using it wrong, so the entire concept is bad?

I hope you don't play any WADs that have badly placed ammo/health.

Edited by Ferk

3 hours ago, Ferk said:

Saves are a resource in this game. You need to manage them, it's part of the gameplay, not unlike how ammo and health are also resources.

That's not comparable and you know it. It's a finite resource that's dependant on things outside of the game. Maybe it's comparable if you live in a vacuum without friends and family – otherwise it's not.

Yes. That's how you win arguments. First make vague excuses giving the air of addressing the point, then finish off with an ad hominem attack.

Why not just admit that it's just a personal preference of yours instead of making absurd claims of game mechanics being illegitimate for whatever reason.

4 hours ago, Manuel-K said:

That's not comparable and you know it. It's a finite resource that's dependant on things outside of the game

In games like Dark Souls there's an autosave that's generated when you quit the game and it's instantly deleted when you resume. So you can continue from where you left off but cannot arbitrarily use it as a save/load mechanism (unless you tamper with the game).

I don't know if they will do this in Wrath, but the point is that it doesn't necessarily need to be like the old NES games where to take a break you need to leave the game open, in the pause screen, until you can continue.

5 hours ago, kristus said:

Why not just admit that it's just a personal preference of yours instead of making absurd claims of game mechanics being illegitimate for whatever reason.

That's the first thing I wrote before people wanted to change my mind.

And I even mentioned that I don't want to discuss my preference. This is the last time I respond to anything related to that topic. It's really boring. I will definitely not buy the game if that “mechanic” is retained. To reiterate it a final time: That's the first thing that I wrote and nothing will change my mind.

It's such a shame. I was really happy when I first noticed the project until I noticed the non-saving part. Obviously I should not have said anything because I have to defend my opinion over and over again. I seriously regret writing something in the first place.

Edited by Manuel-K : Added second paragraph and third paragraph

a) This game looks super-cool and I am excited for it.

b) "jUsT HAvE sOMe SeLF COnTRol!" is always a horrible argument.

But I do hope there is a mod that allows anytime saving, for those who desire it.

edit: just read kristus's post and if Darkplaces console works that should be sufficient I think. Just having some way to do it that isn't in the base game for those who want it would be cool.

I already had high hopes for this since I heard about it... :)

Heck, it's already it was on my Steam wishlist!

Edited by HavoX : I lost my patience.

This looks even more down my alley than Prodeus. I wonder when it will be released, though, as they said on Twitter a month ago that it will be "slightly delayed" to add more content.

Bought it yesterday in a bundle with Ion Fury and have been enjoying it much more than the "Duke sequel". Out of all games trying to invoke the spirit of Quake, Aeon finally did it right. Great setting, fantastic atmosphere, kickass, meaty sounding weapons, huge, expansive maps designed with lots of love, and most importantly - distinct, easily recognizable enemies that all fit a specific role. Aeon is pretty much what DUSK aspired to be, but failed. It legit looks like a total conversion of Quake. 

Oh yeah, there's this, too.

image.png.3762b0eac888b0dd36687a070501c0db.png

This is when I knew I was going to have a good time.

edit: just found out it literally is running on darkplaces. Even better.

So as you might or might not have heard the game will not be released this summer, but has been delayed to "sometime in 2022". At least they vowed to do a better job at communicating from now on, which IMO was a real problem so far. Let's see how well that goes, considering that it took them just over a full week to release the statement since the announcement at Realms Deep 2021.

You can read the official statement here: https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1000410/view/2948156118200289059

On 6/28/2020 at 8:04 AM, frag enabler said:

It legit looks like a total conversion of Quake.

That is probably because it is. If I am not mistaken, the game runs on the same engine as Quake! :P

11 hours ago, Rudolph said:

That is probably because it is. If I am not mistaken, the game runs on the same engine as Quake! :P

Its not a total conversion, its a completely standalone game using the Darkplaces Engine which is indeed a Quake derivative. They have released the source code to their modifications.

2 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

Its not a total conversion, its a completely standalone game using the Darkplaces Engine which is indeed a Quake derivative. They have released the source code to their modifications.

I am not sure I follow. So it stops being a total conversion if it becomes standalone? :o

23 minutes ago, Rudolph said:

I am not sure I follow. So it stops being a total conversion if it becomes standalone? :o

Yes. A total conversion still necessitates the original game data being in place because the executable is hard coded to load it, even if the TC doesn't directly need any of the data in it. A standalone game doesn't require the original data, and the engine will be coded to look for it's own files rather than the original Quake ones.

Basically you're no longer converting a game into another; you're just making a new game.

4 minutes ago, Rudolph said:

is Freedoom a total conversion or a standalone game?

YES!

Spoiler

In my eyes, it is both a TC and a standalone game. TC because it is "Doom", but just has all its "resources/assets" changed.

And Standalone game, because you don't required to have Doom or any game installed to play them.

17 minutes ago, Rudolph said:

So, a "stand-alone total conversion"? Now, I am confused again. :P

Yeah, I would call it that. A standalone TC