Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
[McD] James

What do you guys think of Apex Legends?

About a week ago a friend of mine called me up and raved about how fun and exciting Apex Legends is. Based on what I had already known about the game, all I could really say was "Uh, it kinda reminds me of Titanfall, I guess.", with the utmost level of disinterest. I was then promptly chastised for making an inapt comparison because Apex Legends doesn't involve giant robots. What I didn't know at the time is that the game was developed by the same studio as Titanfall, takes place in the same universe as Titanfall, and according to many, has numerous gameplay similarities with Titanfall.

Maybe I'm just old and not "with it", but I really don't see any appeal to this game, and I can't help but feel that it'll be forgotten within a couple of years. The way it's been marketed doesn't help (blegh). What do you think?

Well, I hate the Battle Royale game mod, so I instantly dislike games like theses, it looks like it's the current trend though.

About the game itself, I guess it's a Fortnite without cartoonish graphics? There are so many games like these that it's not even funny.

Honestly I think it's the best "one of those" out there. It's a Battle Royale, and if you don't like those, you probably won't like this. But it's very thoughtfully designed, looks nice, and runs well, even on older hardware. Titanfall 2 was a great game, and I was disappointed to find that Apex played and felt like that but didn't have the all the cool mobility options. That said, it's grown on me after playing it quite a bit. I probably have approximately 100 hours in it so far. The team drop system and nonverbal communication with highlights and callouts are very well done, it's (so far) a very fair F2P model, and the devs have been responsive and timely in their fixes.

Battle Royale games do not interest me one iota but while this one is no exception to me, I must admit it looks very polished. So I can see how there are many fans.

Given its success it would be funny if it did somehow put the last nail to CoD's coffin, over time, considering Respawn's founders are behind the CoD franchise and were around until MW3, when they fled for EA and spawned some big juridical drama with Activision. And CoD itself overshadowed MoH on which they worked for Allied Assault back then, before fleeing EA for Activision.

I don't seriously think this is how it would play out, but there are game industry stories that are too good not to happen (and I was looking for a pretext to share what already happened).

Battle Royale games can be fun but there really isnt any ranking so noobs can come across veterans commonly making the game not fun. But to be honest all of the battle royale games are so insanely overrated its not funny. I havent played it but it seems the new hype already. I play a little fort but I dont see the rage in any of those games.

I haven't played a single Battle Royal game but i've seen some gameplay. They just don't interest me what so ever. I don't really know why. I guess i can sort of understand the appeal if you have a ton of friends but ehh. To me Apex Legends looks like all the rest. And that damn advertisement with Ozzy's Crazy Train is so annoying as i see it all the time on twitch (i have my adblocker disabled on certain websites so i guess it's my fault) but they totally ruined that song.

All i know is that Battle Royals seem to be a "fad" type of game. Free to play & Multiplayer-only so there goes this game in about 5 yrs when the servers are down and no one is playing it anymore due to the next "fad". Sounds like something that i wouldn't want to work on honestly, nor play.

I absolutely love it. It's been a very long time since I'v enjoyed a multiplayer shooter this much to be honest. It

s really not for everyone, it's very team and skill based, the later a match goes the more its like a boxing match. Most battle royals bore me quickly, but apex is different for me because of the skill ceiling, win or lose, the fighting is fun and its a very in depth game.

For me apex fills the hole I wanted Overwatch to but never could. I know they're different games, but are very similar in the fighting. 

30 year old soon-to-be-dad and I love it. Really fast, twitchy, and addicting. Really brings back memories of playing lots of Unreal Tournament/Quake 3 back in the 90s/00s with how fast some battles can go.

If you don't like the slow-fast-slow-fast pace of Battle Royale games, this isn't going to change your mind, but it is absolutely the best one so far. And its free to play.

I just want some modes other than triples.

There's a lot of talk here about the fact that the game is a battle royale. I don't think there's anything wrong with battle royale as a concept, and if this game was purely arena based, I don't think my perceptions about it would be any different. In terms of its movement, aiming down crosshairs, the environments, and overall tone, there's just so many triple-a first-person shooters out there that have kind of blurred together on me. But hey, as long as you guys are enjoying it, then that's good to hear. 

Edited by Ajora

Your passive aggressiveness seems kinda weird, unless I'm misreading you. Did this game steal your lunch money? :P

The game is great, feels and plays good, and you simply aren't into it, which is a-okay. The game has legs and this genre of game is here to stay, it isn't just some fad that will die off in a year. This one in particular is an evolution of the style of FPS popularized with Call of Duty, which makes sense considering this team is composed of Modern Warfare 1 and 2 devs, so if you aren't into that then chances are you won't be into this game's combat.

I don't even like Call of Duty's style of gameplay but I still love this game. It has lots of verticality, the sliding/movement is fast for this type of game, weapons feel good to shoot, and every fight is intense. Funnily enough too, this game more than the other BRs encourages you to fight others and not hide the entire match, making everyone more aggressive as a result. Its very common to get into a fight that involves multiple teams, whereas in the other BRs its pretty common to only ever fight with one team based on my experience.

On 3/7/2019 at 9:50 AM, DesecratorJ said:

Well, I hate the Battle Royale game mod, so I instantly dislike games like theses, it looks like it's the current trend though.

About the game itself, I guess it's a Fortnite without cartoonish graphics? There are so many games like these that it's not even funny.

They are similar in game mode but they do different enough things. Apex Legends actually takes things from all the big Battle Royale games (Fortnite, PUBG, Blackout/Blops4) adds new mechanics and ideas, and doesn't run like dogshit. Its basically the most refined version of these games.

Edited by wheresthebeef

9 hours ago, Ajora said:

In terms of its movement, aiming down crosshairs, the environments, and overall tone, there's just so many triple-a first-person shooters out there that have kind of blurred together on me.

the movement is really unique, feels good and rewards skilled climbing. it also oddly passively kills time while moving from one fight to another, as you gain momentum sliding down hill or off of a ledge, you're alwayys looking how to maximize that. just like titanfall if you jump melee, you do a jump kick. 

The difference about apex and all these other AAA games, is apex does it all exceedingly well. It's kinda funny to me to see the guys in respawn entertainment back in the spotlight again, as the studio was formed from infinity ward members that had created modern warfare and said fuck activision. Call of duty has gotten gradually worse since. I strongly feel these guys still have their touch.

On 3/8/2019 at 12:10 PM, DooM_RO said:

You know you're a 30 year old Boomer if you hate this kind of game. I hate it.

24 minutes ago, DooM_RO said:

What exactly is this game? Is it some kind of Quake?

I can't tell which one was a joke or if they are both.

4 hours ago, DooM_RO said:

What exactly is this game? Is it some kind of Quake?

It's a hero/loadout styled, squad (3 people) battle royal (elimination free for all). it has a fairly strong movement system with it's parkor and the way the game handles slides to increase speed, there is bunny hopping a bit as it's running on a moddified Source 2 engine. The time to kill is quite high and there are no guns that one shot, unless the rare situation where you get headshot with a kraber (very rare sniper, I have 80 hours in the game and have seen it like 3 times) with no armor, but that would have to be later in the match. There are no hitscan guns, all weapons are projectile. Apex does indeed share a lot with arena shooters while using a more modern weapon setup, it's certainly a game where if you don't take time to think and understand why you die, you'll just keep getting smashed on.

7 minutes ago, MrGlide said:

It's a hero/loadout styled, squad (3 people) battle royal (elimination free for all). it has a fairly strong movement system with it's parkor and the way the game handles slides to increase speed, there is bunny hopping a bit as it's running on a moddified Source 2 engine. The time to kill is quite high and there are no guns that one shot, unless the rare situation where you get headshot with a kraber (very rare sniper, I have 80 hours in the game and have seen it like 3 times) with no armor, but that would have to be later in the match. There are no hitscan guns, all weapons are projectile. Apex does indeed share a lot with arena shooters while using a more modern weapon setup, it's certainly a game where if you don't take time to think and understand why you die, you'll just keep getting smashed on.

That actually sounds like fun. I tried Fortnite but got bored of it real fast.

Its unlike Fortnite; the only comparison is the game mode itself. It's like comparing Capture the Flag in Quake 3 to Team Fortress to Halo or to Call of Duty. All different styles of gameplay with the same game mode.

In this type of game you start with zero weapons and items, you jump out of a flying ship and choose to land wherever you want (in Apex Legends, you actually stay linked with your team and can break off when you want) and you start scavenging for weapons and items. There are also zones marked on the map that have a high chance of spawning really good loot; the location is random and because its marked its usually a hot zone for multiple teams to drop into, having a high risk/reward.

You have to have a lot of spatial awareness because if you are just blindly running into buildings worrying only about trying to find loot, an enemy team can get the drop on you. Supply drops will also rain down from the sky and be marked on the map and these typically contain some high level loot. Again though, because they are marked chances are another team is making their way to it.

The movement in the game feels so good that when I play other similar games I feel super slow. When you press crouch while sprinting you will slide; if you do this down a hill/slope, you go sliding down fairly fast. It isn't on the level of Tribes, but it feels real great. One of the characters also has a grappling hook you can use to swing around corners/poles, climb up high areas, or even pull an enemy toward you ala Scorpion from Mortal Kombat.

When it comes down to the last remaining teams, they are typically highly looted, making the final fight swing either way. There's been times my team has had a huge advantage but we end up getting taken down by a single guy.

Its a really fun, addicting, exhilerating game, but it isn't for everyone.

I have never played this game. I am very addicted to mobile legends.

if this game is anything like ML then I will love it.

I am thinking of playing it so see what it is all about.

4 hours ago, wheresthebeef said:

Its unlike Fortnite; the only comparison is the game mode itself. It's like comparing Capture the Flag in Quake 3 to Team Fortress to Halo or to Call of Duty. All different styles of gameplay with the same game mode.

In this type of game you start with zero weapons and items, you jump out of a flying ship and choose to land wherever you want (in Apex Legends, you actually stay linked with your team and can break off when you want) and you start scavenging for weapons and items. There are also zones marked on the map that have a high chance of spawning really good loot; the location is random and because its marked its usually a hot zone for multiple teams to drop into, having a high risk/reward.

I find it's a lot like Fortnite and PUBG. What you describe there applies to all three of these games. The loop of dropping, looking for weapons, following the circle. Like you said it's the game mode, but you're still pointing an assault rifle at somebody and killing them relatively quickly. They're all to me fairly minor variations on the same kind of game. It's more like PUBG though. The time to kill is still pretty quick, you can slide down hills but it's still that same kind of tactical modern shooter gameplay. Personally I found Fortnite to be the best of the three, as silly as it may seem on the surface, it had the best world map and more arcadey combat. Apex is not bad though, and I can see how it'd grab somebody, I just felt PUBG and Fortnite said pretty much the same thing a year or more ago, and I mostly had my fill.

1 hour ago, PsychoGoatee said:

I find it's a lot like Fortnite and PUBG. What you describe there applies to all three of these games. The loop of dropping, looking for weapons, following the circle. Like you said it's the game mode, but you're still pointing an assault rifle at somebody and killing them relatively quickly. They're all to me fairly minor variations on the same kind of game. It's more like PUBG though. The time to kill is still pretty quick, you can slide down hills but it's still that same kind of tactical modern shooter gameplay. Personally I found Fortnite to be the best of the three, as silly as it may seem on the surface, it had the best world map and more arcadey combat. Apex is not bad though, and I can see how it'd grab somebody, I just felt PUBG and Fortnite said pretty much the same thing a year or more ago, and I mostly had my fill.

I wasn't describing what was unique to AE, rather explaining what battle royales were in general.

Comparing Fortnite with Apex Legends, one is third person while the other is first person, one has building and one does not, one has respawns while the other doesn't, one has vehicles while the other doesn't, one has characters with unique abilities while the other is all cosmetic, one has destructible buildings/structures while the other is static. There's also a number of smaller differences between them.

Like I said, its like comparing the same game mode from Quake 3 to Halo or Call of Duty; they might both have guns, even similar ones, but they are different enough to feel unique from eachother.

1 hour ago, SoulSphere said:

I have never played this game. I am very addicted to mobile legends.

if this game is anything like ML then I will love it.

I am thinking of playing it so see what it is all about.

They aren't even remotely the same

5 minutes ago, wheresthebeef said:

One is third person while the other is first person, one has building and one does not, one has respawns while the other doesn't, one has vehicles while the other doesn't. There's also a number of smaller differences between them.

Like I said, its like comparing the same game mode from Quake 3 to Halo or Call of Duty; they might both have guns, even similar ones, but they are different enough to feel unique from eachother.

That depends on the individual playing I think, what you take away from the experience. I can agree they all have some variations in combat gameplay, and since they have those varied feels everyone will have favorites. But if somebody lost interest in one of them, it's very possible this one won't grab them either. Worth a try, and I don't dislike the game, I just found it to be very samey in most of the key areas.

I would've liked if they mixed it up more. For example, since this one's claim to fame is getting into the action quicker, I'd like if everyone dropped with a pistol. Scrambling for the same pistol with somebody else, I feel that has been said and done in PUBG, so for me that experience here is nearly identical for example. And it can be a key part of the whole match. But still a solid entry in this genre.

I think it is decent, has the nice flow and movement of Titanfall with less of the complexity, kinda iffy about the lack of content but I'm sure more will be added.

Not a big fan of Battle Royale so I don't play it often, it is decent in short bursts for fun.

So yeah, it is alright.

It's part of a trending Genre so i am obligated to Hate it because i need to show how much of a "free thinker" i am.

Kidding aside, i really like how differently paced it is compared to it's contemporaries, though i personally enjoy more slow paced BRs.

I honestly still prefer PUBG since it's slower pace is more my style.