• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Captain Red

That's handy.

Do you prefer you weapon to appear...  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer you weapon to appear...

• ...in the middle of you view?
    • ...to the left\\right ?

Being on the left-right position gives more of a realistic way of holding a weapon. Try firing with a rocket laucher positioned on your stomach, you'll have serious owies.

Darkstalker is right, weapons in the middle not only look stupid, but it is also dangerous to fire them. This is why I have changed nearly every weapon in doom with custom one.

On the right. Being right-handed, everything else feels odd when you're trying to imagine what you're playing is real.

I like my weapon slanting to the middle of the screen from the right. But I feel that all fps's should have an animation for the gun in the middle, sometimes I just wanna go in old school.

For shooting at targets without a crosshair I prefer doom style. Main reason is so I can hit stuff. But if I got me a crosshair then I like the weapon to be to the left of centre. Being left-handed and all.

DooMer 4ever said:

Darkstalker is right, weapons in the middle not only look stupid, but it is also dangerous to fire them. This is why I have changed nearly every weapon in doom with custom one.

Oh yeah, and you think it looks more realitsic when it looks like the weapon is held out from the side?
In real life, when you look through the scopes of a gun, it's very close to center of your view, not centred but close, because you stick your head as close to the gun as possible. In later games it almost looks like the player character is keeping his/her head as far from the gun as possible.

I have yet to see a realistic view in first person shooters, I was hoping to see something like it in Doom 3 but it seems that I'll be disappointed with that.

dsm said:

Oh yeah, and you think it looks more realitsic when it looks like the weapon is held out from the side?
In real life, when you look through the scopes of a gun, it's very close to center of your view, not centred but close, because you stick your head as close to the gun as possible. In later games it almost looks like the player character is keeping his/her head as far from the gun as possible.

I have yet to see a realistic view in first person shooters, I was hoping to see something like it in Doom 3 but it seems that I'll be disappointed with that.

Try operation flashpoint, and to a lesser extent, allied assault.

I as far as realism goes, I know at least police are trained to hold pistols with both hands to the center of there vision, and I assume that the same is taught by all armed forces. Shotguns would be held to the side, since accuracy isn’t what it’s about, and the recoils is quite strong. Assault rifles would be held slightly to the right\left, just under your face, (but still to the side). Sniper rifles would only be used while your standing still\lying down, again to the right\left, just under your face (to use the scope of coarse.) so in real life, to the side is closer to the truth, except for pistols.

The optimal would be that the weapon was kept down when running and centered on the middle of the view when aiming.

Perhaps you could toggle and aim mode. In non-aim mode you could run faster, but all your shots would be utterly inaccurate hip shots.

In aim mode you would be able to actually aim your weapon but will not be able to run as fast.

Shifting between the modes should take less than a second.

I read/heard somehwere long ago that carrying BFG as weapon of choice in Doom2 slowed your speed down, anyone confirm this?

fodders said:

I read/heard somehwere long ago that carrying BFG as weapon of choice in Doom2 slowed your speed down, anyone confirm this?

False.