Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
crazyflyingdonut

I want to know what this "E5M1" is.

So, I was reading "Lost Media Wiki" and there was a page explaining that when John Romero released a large amount of Doom stuff in 2014, there was a level that was called "E5M1". Supposedly, this is a picture of it.

E5M1.jpg

I want to know the legitimacy of this. I'm a bit skeptical. This picture could have just been made by some guy.

There really isn't any more information regarding this "E5M1".

Even if Romero has released some of Doom's development media material to show on the Internet, I really doubt this is legit.

First of all, the level design of this room is really bad. Any of the original Doom games' map has more effort put into the design of the rooms.

A lot of barrels, which is extremely repetitive. Boring textures and lights. Two Baron's cages again? We already saw that on E1M8...

Also, if it's supposed to be a screenshot extracted directly from Romero or a similar legit source, I kinda doubt of the resolution for some reason. Even if Episode 5 was supposed to be in development recently, not sure if the HUD would be configured to look that way.

Also, in 2014 Romero released a lot of Doom artwork of Doom on Twitter, things like the process of creating sprites and other stuff. It's easy to find and I guess this also would pop up when searching for the Romero posts but it doesn't (I think... I'm looking in Romero's twitter searching for the 2014 tweets at the moment).

5 minutes ago, SirJuicyLemon said:

Even if Romero has released some of Doom's development media material to show on the Internet, I really doubt this is legit.

First of all, the level design of this room is really bad. Any of the original Doom games' map has more effort put into the design of the rooms.

A lot of barrels, which is extremely repetitive. Boring textures and lights. Two Baron's cages again? We already saw that on E1M8...

Also, if it's supposed to be a screenshot extracted directly from Romero or a similar legit source, I kinda doubt of the resolution for some reason. Even if Episode 5 was supposed to be in development recently, not sure if the HUD would be configured to look that way.

Also, in 2014 Romero released a lot of Doom artwork of Doom on Twitter, things like the process of creating sprites and other stuff. It's easy to find and I guess this also would pop up when searching for the Romero posts but it doesn't (I think... I'm looking in Romero's twitter searching for the 2014 tweets at the moment).

I agree with you, I think it's fake.

I'm calling bullshit. There's no way that wouldn't have been mentioned when Romero uploaded all that stuff back then.

Also, 1995? Doom II was out by then and much of id was working on Quake. Pretty sure they wouldn't have bothered doing more than the one extra episode.

There's no way that pic is a legit Doom level.  Both Doom 1 and 2 had very well designed levels.  Final Doom has shit levels because they were made by other people that were submitted to ID to be used.  That pic totally looks like a map I'd see in Final Doom or some other God awful WAD. 

It actually is real, e5m1 does indeed appear in the map source, in all it's barrel filled baron alcove glory. It probably was mentioned, but it's not like it's that remarkable of a map so it probably wasn't discussed in great detail.

And there's no need to worry that id was gonna drop like a really low quality boxy barrel filled e5 on us, it was probably someone just fiddling with the editor at the time, perhaps trying some ideas. there's actually a lot of maps like that, such as shawnmap and shawn2.

Here's a wad of the enigmatic map. It occupies e1m1 in this wad file.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qcp4f7i8m8pkxgt/dumpe5m1.WAD?dl=1

9 hours ago, Maser said:

Final Doom has shit levels because they were made by other people that were submitted to ID to be used.

Plutonia and the first half of TNT heavily disagree.

On topic, even if this is legit, judging by what Salad is saying above, there's no way this is even remotely representative of how a tentative E5 would have looked like. It's probably just someone doing random things in an editor.

17 hours ago, Maser said:

There's no way that pic is a legit Doom level.  Both Doom 1 and 2 had very well designed levels.  Final Doom has shit levels because they were made by other people that were submitted to ID to be used.  That pic totally looks like a map I'd see in Final Doom or some other God awful WAD. 

21 hours ago, SirJuicyLemon said:

Have you guys not seen the levels featured in all the Alpha builds? It isn't too unthinkable this unreleased level wouldn't be up to the standards of the levels they released in the final product.

16 minutes ago, wheresthebeef said:

Have you guys not seen the levels featured in all the Alpha builds? It isn't too unthinkable this unreleased level wouldn't be up to the standards of the levels they released in the final product.

Yeah I've seen the levels in the Alpha builds. And even the levels from the first Alpha builds seem more interesting than this (at least to me).

It may be true level of course. Like the original post from the Lost Media Wiki website says, it's supposed to be kind of a fun level (I guess like Doom64's fun levels?), and plus being a test map it's understandable that the design isn't that good or prepared. I just feel like it doesn't corresponds to a typical level architecture from original games and their old alpha builds. Then again, it's just a screenshot of one room so you can't judge the whole level design just with one little room.

If it's legit I'm fine with it. But I would want to see a reliable source to confirm this though. (Obviously is not necessary to call John Romero by phone to ask him but find the origin of this picture, or a wayback machine link to a dead website if that's the case or something.

4 minutes ago, SirJuicyLemon said:

If it's legit I'm fine with it. But I would want to see a reliable source to confirm this though. (Obviously is not necessary to call John Romero by phone to ask him but find the origin of this picture, or a wayback machine link to a dead website if that's the case or something.

5 hours ago, Linguica said:

Actually exist a empty E5M1 slot in the game, it was used for 2002ado super secret map...

And for the map in the picture, I don't think is the one Romero showed in his unreleased doom stuff back in 2015...

On 3/8/2019 at 11:52 PM, Nirvana said:

How do you delete someone else's forum post?

Hacked by Chinese?

On 3/8/2019 at 10:47 AM, Maser said:

There's no way that pic is a legit Doom level.  Both Doom 1 and 2 had very well designed levels. 

Sandy Petersen's maps got disliked by a lot of Doom players :P Not by me though, I found most of these... oddly good to play.

Edited by TheNoob_Gamer

5 hours ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

Sandy Petersen's maps got disliked by a lot of Doom players :P 

Yes, lots of people who are wrong.

#teamsandy

1 minute ago, Marcaek said:

Yes, lots of people who are wrong.

#teamsandy

You shut your cake hole, cakefish.