Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TheNoob_Gamer

Huge flaws you found during playthroughs of your favourite wad(s).

Many legendary/groundbreaking megawad/small mapset always came with flaws and/or bullsh*t stuffs for players; and some haven't been fixed to this day.
For instances, Scythe/Scythe 2 feature a lot of crappy hidden secrets that I'm not even sure how/why Alm made those sectors... secrets. (Maybe this is intentional, but I dunno)

So, Doomworld community, tell me about some flaws/weaknesses in your favourite wads that you found while you played through them.
(If possible, please include them with some reasons.)
(I'm referring to maps and TCs here, in case you are confusing)

Edited by TheNoob_Gamer

I can't name any specific wads off the top of my head, but anytime I fall off a ledge or what not, into lava or slime, and there is no teleporter or escape of any kind. You just sit there and slowly melt away in utter pain and agony.  All your progress lost if you didn't save. Maybe the wad creator meant for that to happen or maybe it was something he or she missed. Either way it just royally pisses me off.

Boss fights in rooms that are so pathetically small that even if you avoid a direct hit, your eventually going to succumb to splash damage.

(I play with Brutal_Zandro_SE so there is a lot of splash damage.)

Your battling say, 3 Barons in a hallway and you are losing. You need to retreat but don't dare turn around and risk getting hit in the back. As you backup you keep getting hung up on protrusions sticking out of the wall. Again maybe its intentional but its still gets a "For F$#K sake!!" out of me.

Edited by Korozive : and another thing

8 hours ago, Korozive said:

I can't name any specific wads off the top of my head, but anytime I fall off a ledge or what not, into lava or slime, and there is no teleporter or escape of any kind. You just sit there and slowly melt away in utter pain and agony.  All your progress lost if you didn't save. Maybe the wad creator meant for that to happen or maybe it was something he or she missed. Either way it just royally pisses me off.

In the early days, it was just common for nukage/lava pits to be inescapable. Look at the nukage put right in the beginning of E1M3 (Toxin Refinery). Look at the pits in Map 24 (The Chasm). Inescapable pits were just a thing. They gradually went out of vogue to the point where players treat them as a sign of bad mapping if you find them, which isn't necessarily the case.

I once saw a map (I don't remember the name), where there was a lift out of a nukage pit, but it was a single use switch. If you fell in or jumped in once, you got a free ticket out, but if you jumped in again, you were screwed.

There are also some mappers now (I know ToD is one of them) that takes the stance that inescapable pits are an environmental hazard. You're not supposed to fall in and it's not their job to save you if you do.

Speaking of Scythe 2, Mr. X. Fuck that guy. If I wanted to play deathmatch against a guy with a plasma rifle, I'd hop on Zandronum.

5 minutes ago, Pegleg said:

There are also some mappers now (I know ToD is one of them) that takes the stance that inescapable pits are an environmental hazard. You're not supposed to fall in and it's not their job to save you if you do.

I can understand his reasoning but I don't have to like it :D

Not sure if it's the kind of .WADs you were referring to (mods) but, at least for me, in Hexen encountered a bug in the gibbet hub where some falling walls should reveal some new enemies after defeating other ones and then let you progress through the game but that didn't happen so I had to noclip through that area.

1 hour ago, SirJuicyLemon said:

Not sure if it's the kind of .WADs you were referring to (mods) 

I'm reffering to maps and TCs, should have made this more clear :P

I  consider mortal pits as an extreme idea rather than bad mapping. They are quite realistic after all.  Every pit doesn't necessarly have a way to get out IRL.

3 hours ago, Roofi said:

I  consider mortal pits as an extreme idea rather than bad mapping. They are quite realistic after all.  Every pit doesn't necessarly have a way to get out IRL.

I don't think anyone here said it was bad mapping. I just said I don't like it as per the topic of this thread.

On 3/8/2019 at 7:17 AM, Korozive said:

Sometimes that's intentional. It feels just too weird if you can escape every pit of slime/nukage/blood/lava. If anything, a magical escape always being there makes me feel like the level is less authentic - like someone magically made sure you'd not suffer and die, or something.

Also removes them ever feeling truly dangerous and turns them into something you don't have to be careful around.

13 minutes ago, Dark Pulse said:

Sometimes that's intentional. It feels just too weird if you can escape every pit of slime/nukage/blood/lava. If anything, a magical escape always being there makes me feel like the level is less authentic - like someone magically made sure you'd not suffer and die, or something.

Also removes them ever feeling truly dangerous and turns them into something you don't have to be careful around.

Agreed. I also now take a real good look around for teleporters, openings or uneven textures. If I can't see anything obvious I stay clear of them.