Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bratish

How do you see remake of Quake 1?

Such thoughts arise when you see that nothing good came out of the 2010 Quake series except for the remakes of the same game - Quake III Arena. They forgot about the Stroggs, did ET: QW, and forgot about the first one, the hike, as an unsuccessful experiment (it seems to me). But, they say, a remake will also be released soon for the first Quake, and I hope that it will not be turned into another multiplayer shooter without a plot and, most importantly, an atmosphere. Yes, for me, who started playing 3D shooters from the first Q, the atmosphere was most surprised with the game - I hadn’t seen anything like that in games before, and even after that, it won’t be in games: not a single person except you and no helpers - only your weapons, and all around - the creatures for whom all these dark caves and damp castles are their home, and they are mutually trying to kill you so that you do not invade their life, do not solve their secret ... Unfortunately , at Dissolution of Eternity, the developers stopped supporting the first Q, which is very sad, since all these Stroggs Valdigas s me somehow not impressive - not this, I waited after the first part of the wonderful atmosphere with inexpressible horror.
What I’m getting at is that it would be nice if Id did a remake of the first Quake by setting it closer not to Doom 2016 (where there is a colorful and bright picture, a spectacular dismemberment and so on) and to the old and forgotten Doom 3 today there was also a great atmosphere just from Q1, only adjusted for high-tech base. Let the remake be impressive and scary monsters, dark and eerie locations, vaguely similar to the original, with a different passage option (the original elevator does not work, the door is blocked), and the cutscenes are for each monster, for some secrets (the main thing is not to overdo it, Well, yes, this is understandable). And yes, we need at least some plot in which an expanded “briefing” from the Q1 manual will be shown at the beginning, and then during the game with the hero Quake himself will get in touch (which in the game should only appear as a ghost after killing Shub-Niggurata) - he will intimidate the player, telling him that his monsters will still capture the Earth, and the hero will not be able to do anything about it, but will only condemn himself and all of Mankind to death. A good psychological background. And yes, I would like to rethink the image of the protagonist - instead of a health vigilating family man from QC, in the Quake remake there will be a warrior who has only been in one battle, who before the game’s events just went on vacation to marry, but then his commander calls him and he throws everything and goes into the unknown. Something similar could be observed in Doom 3 - there the hero was also not a super-buper soldier, contrary to Doom 2016, it was a simple person, not even revealed to the end.
I hope that if the Quake remake is announced, then at the output we will see exactly what I wrote, and not just the next Doom 2016, only with nice shamblers and Findic and heaps of skins for your nails.
And it would be nice to return the runes to their original name "sigil" and add such a thing - after picking up each rune, some capacity is added to the hero, but another is taken away (for example, a shot is amplified 2 times, but protection drops by 20%) - in our the century of achivok and other things would not look too arcade (and the games are becoming more and more arcade - this is the worst).
In conclusion, I’ll say that id has exhausted all of its ideas before Quake Live is the same ET: QW is just a prequel to advertised Q2, and that’s where QC draws its roots from, and you don’t have to say, this constant copying of Q3A looks stupid, complete squandering of logic and common sense.

Based on the above, I want to show you a fragment of how I see a remake of Quake 1.

Spoiler

Level 1
SlipGate Komleks
Start. The common features are as in the original, but now everything is immersed in darkness, only Slidegate's dioids and computer niches flicker with eerie red and yellow flashes. A faint echo of the wind blows on the street.
You have in your hands a shotgun, which is somewhat similar to the same bumstick from the original, but only shorter and covered with rust.
And here you come to the right niche. Where the inscription “You can jump here” popped up in the original, now the screen at the entrance to this area turns red, and someone’s terrible scream, similar to death agony, is heard, and at its end a crack is heard and the secret (original) wall breaks into pieces (as if from an explosion). Behind her is a small pack of ammunition and a severed head with a face so mutilated. that it is impossible to guess to whom it belongs. Only one eye has survived, and it is directed straight at you - in this green eye there is pain and despair.
You go on. Approach the elevator, activate the lever - in the middle of the screen pops up a message that the elevator is broken. All you have to do is go where the original green armor was.
After jumping onto the ledge, the cutscene is activated — the hero slowly and quietly sneaks over the wall. In the pitch darkness, there are some gurgling sounds and a growl. And then suddenly the sound will sound, as if cleaning a gun. The hero activates a night vision goggle in his helmet, and such a picture appears to our eyes - instead of a tiny snack behind the wall, there is a small room. crammed with some kind of boxes (some are computers). In the midst of them, in a pool of blood, a soldier crouches behind us and cleans his shotgun. Then suddenly the hero clanges against the wall with a hatchet hanging on his back, and the stranger slowly turns around, gradually getting up. His face. stained with blood. it seems a bit rotten, his mouth with dirty teeth stiffened in eternal grin. and the eyes ... They are white, without pupils and glow in the dark.
The zombie makes a hoarse cry, and the cutscene ends. You will quickly kill your former fellow soldier and take away his ammunition, packaged in his pockets.

That's about this style IMHO should be sustained by a remake of the beloved first Quake. Without these features, it will be a stupid repetition of the original, except that the yard will be full of court and even higher resolution.

Oh, by the way, about the sound component. It would be nice if Id Software were attracted to writing the xovle soundtrack, which is the author of the music pack for Q1 - Diabolipak.

His tracks are very atmospheric, and they awaken either sadness or rage that Trent Reznor lacked - with all due respect for his work, the music in the original Q1 does not cause any special emotions (except maybe Persia Invasion, and only then at the beginning ). Much better music in the Quake port for the Nintendo 64 console - Ebri Hodges himself worked on the local soundtrack, and as for me, his soundtrack keeps in suspense much more than the original

I think he will no longer write the music for the game, but you should note what exactly the soundtrack should be in the new reincarnation of the first Quake. The music of Hodges and xovle in the aggregate gives just an inseparable and complete immersion into the atmosphere of the first Quake, which should be implemented in the first order in a remake.

The meaning of the topic is to write your thoughts about how you see the remake of the first, real, true Quake, and not the stupid game that appropriated his proud name (Q2, Q3 and more ...).

Edited by Bratish

3 hours ago, Bratish said:

But, they say, a remake will also be released soon for the first Quake, and I hope that it will not be turned into another multiplayer shooter without a plot and, most importantly, an atmosphere.

Uh, I haven't heard any rumors about a Quake remake. Furthermore, Quake is one of those classics that really doesn't need a remake. A reboot could potentially work, but I don't see it as something that absolutely needs to happen. 

The rumors of a remake/follow up to Quake 1 were prior to Quake Champions' release I believe, because there were hints that id was coming back to Q1's universe. Well we did get a new Quake leaning strongly toward Q1's lore, and we know it wasn't what we expected at all.

A remaster in the vein of the one Resident Evil 2 got would be amazing for Quake 1 imo, Especially without the shit tier textures. 

5 minutes ago, Pegg said:

A remaster in the vein of the one Resident Evil 2 got would be amazing for Quake 1 imo, Especially without the shit tier textures. 

That wasn't a remaster, it was a complete remake from the ground up. I honestly can't think of anything about Quake 1 I would ever change. 

2 minutes ago, Ajora said:

I honestly can't think of anything about Quake 1 I would ever change. 

Remove the slimes would be nice :P.

30 minutes ago, Pegg said:

I like the blob monsters. They're fun. I wish I encountered them more frequently in custom maps.

Edited by Ajora

6 minutes ago, Pegg said:

YES. They are one of the reasons why Episode 4 was my least favourite

Add neon lights. Turn it into a cyber punk gun fest. Forget about the brown.

Or just make it Nine Inch Nails the game.

I couldn't disagree more about quake not 'needing' a remake. It's probably the least focused development of classic id and I think a more palatable reinvention that stays true to the original but is more confident about itself would be really neat.

It would have to different from Doom 2016. Wolf and Doom are already very different but I'm not sure how they would be able to make It different from Doom but still make it feel like Quake, since it's basically 3D Doom.

2 minutes ago, DooM_RO said:

It would have to different from Doom 2016. Wolf and Doom are already very different but I'm not sure how they would be able to make It different from Doom but still make it feel like Quake, since it's basically 3D Doom.

Are you implying that you feel Quake I is basically a 3D version of DOOM I and II?

3 minutes ago, Korozive said:

Are you implying that you feel Quake I is basically a 3D version of DOOM I and II?

More or less yes. Is that wrong? It's slower and has less but more powerful enemies but that's about it. You could say the atmosphere is different but even that is quite similar.

1 minute ago, DooM_RO said:

More or less yes. Is that wrong? It's slower and has less but more powerful enemies but that's about it. You could say the atmosphere is different but even that is quite similar.

I would never call your own personal preferences "wrong". Personally I get a totally different vibe from Quake, like I am actually back in time, which makes me feel even more alone.

Just now, Korozive said:

I would never call your own personal preferences "wrong". Personally I get a totally different vibe from Quake, like I am actually back in time, which makes me feel even more alone.

I get what you're saying and I agree but to me both games fundamentally feel very similar. You could swap a few textures between them and you would not notice a thing.

2 minutes ago, DooM_RO said:

I get what you're saying and I agree but to me both games fundamentally feel very similar. You could swap a few textures between them and you would not notice a thing.

Each to his own my friend. :o)

22 minutes ago, kristus said:

There already was one, it's called Bloodborne.

I checked this out on Google and it has 2 problems for me. 1) Its on a PS4 and not PC. 2) Its in 3rd person. Its also pretty much black and grey graphics wise. (so I guess that's 3 things then. heh)

I still find Quake 1 extremely cool and enjoyable, i play single player on nightmare, multiplayer against reaper bots or other players (if i find not empty server). I don't see any need for remake or reboot. I use Bengt Jardrup's WinQuake (fixed mouse wheel support) or Fitzquake for SP and bots, ezQuake for online multiplayer.

1 hour ago, Korozive said:

I checked this out on Google and it has 2 problems for me. 1) Its on a PS4 and not PC. 2) Its in 3rd person. Its also pretty much black and grey graphics wise. (so I guess that's 3 things then. heh)

That game was the sole reason I bought a PS4. Still is.

1 hour ago, DooM_RO said:

The new Quake is called Wrath. 

What be this Wrath you speak of mortal?

13 hours ago, DooM_RO said:

It would be a challenge to make a new Quake game and convince mainstream gamers that it's different from Doom, but here are perhaps a few minor possibilities that could be explored towards reaching that goal:

- As OP suggested, humanize the player character as a contrast to Doom 2016 god-like Doom Slayer. Make him seem like a tough guy, but still make him feel like a normal (as "normal" as you can make an action FPS protagonist anyway) Human. The protagonist doesn't want to be where he is.

- Bleak colour palette giving off an atmosphere of loneliness and hopelessness, again contrasting with Doom 2016 vibrant colours (which gave more of a: "let's have some bloody good fun killing baddies! >:D").

- Expand on the Lovecraftian elements of the original Quake, making the game theme more obviously "lovecraftian".

- Make the art style emphasize grittiness and give the tech a very worn, crude low-tech look. Even the low-tech elements of Doom 2016 looked kinda smooth and "nice". The universe generally needs to look unpleasant and sort of primitive, which should translate over to the weapons too. Something like the lightning gun should not look clean and high-tech, but rather dangerous, worn and unstable.

- Greater emphasis on mood and atmosphere. It should not have angry, upbeat music playing, but have creepy soundscape music that emphasizes environment sounds, so you can hear creepy background noises.

- Avoid making the player overpowered, always make players feel that they're barely scraping by. Keep the player's ammo carrying capacity limited, so that you're encouraged to conserve ammo for the bigger fights.

- Avoid Doom 2016's combat-arena structure; make it feel more like the monsters live in the environment. This means fewer, but stronger monsters used in clever ways.

- No NPCs, enhancing the sense of bleak loneliness.

@dsm

Most of what you mentioned is just cosmetic. One thing they could do is make Ranger's personality different. He could be schizophrenic and have hallucinations. So what you see is not always what there is in reality. But a different (but ultimately still similar) art style and a main character with a different personality is not enough to differentiate the two games, at least in my opinion. 

The way I see it, Quake needs to be as different from Doom as Doom is from the new Wolfenstein games. The problem is that Quake is basically a slower 3D Doom and any deviation from that formula could upset its dedicated fanbase made of 30 year old Boomers so I'm not sure how they could do that.

The thing that I wish the most from a modern remake of Quake 1 is a game just as fast paced as Doom 2016, but that tonally sticks to a more strict horror atmosphere derived from the Lovecraftian influences(just like the first game wow). A modern engine would allow for a more accurate depiction of the so called "non-euclidean" geometry that is so prominent in the Cthulhu mythos. I want levels that I look at and have no fucking idea what's going on, but that after a little exploring makes sense following it's own twisted logic. I want back the weird monsters that look like they belong in realms completely devoid of human influence, or that are themselves twisted mockeries of the human form. I want weapons that are halfway through modern tactical gear and crude medieval instruments of torture. And I want back the old Ranger that looked like he was permanently constipated as oposed to the QC Ranger that looks like one of those generic FPS grunts from Wreck-it Ralph, in the scene where he goes into the FPS game.

Edit: I should also add that the story/lore/whatever should be more serious in tone than Doom 2016's. If possible something terrifying but that doesn't contrast too much with the break neck pace of the gameplay.

Edited by HorrorMovieGuy