Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hellbent

an old article about doom from May 1994

1 hour ago, riderr3 said:

Posts from 1993 is also funny

I remember one thread from back then where people would refer to the levels as puzzles.

IE "I beat the first few puzzles and now I'm stuck on the third one" basically referring to E1M3

I've read that article (downloaded it too from somewhere, probably the idgames archive). It's pretty interesting to read what people thought of Doom back in the day (also nowdays, it's sometimes funny too). I suppose the game really was a genuine horror/action game for most people and some peoples first "3D" game, especially if they didn't play Wolfenstein 3D or any of id/apogee's games before that.

But yeah, some of the old usenet (now google groups) posts are pretty interesting (as well as funny too). For example: from the alt.games.doom group some guy was playing local deathmatch via 4 PC's set up in his living room (work PC's no less) but still...really neat!

Spoiler

CaptureDoom01.PNG.1d7774af206999303290fd1524c3d89e.PNG

Then someone else was playing Doom on UV with a 386 and 4megs of RAM with no sound card. The computer could hardly keep up but they didn't care because it was "still a pile o' fun!"

I am glad that we have access to all of these great games nowadays and that they run pretty much flawlessly but part of me still wishes that i was around for Dooms original heyday. Oh well, at least i was around for the heyday of Doom 3 (even though i was like 14) and Doom 2016 as well as w/e is next for the Doom series (Eternal).

"There's even a patch out there that turns the imposing Barons of Hell into Barney the Dinosaur, his head ringed in musical notes as he chants "I love you, you love me." Now that's terrifying!"

LOL I love this article. Really wish I lived in the 90's.

18 minutes ago, Hellbent said:

The 90s were amazing. But at the time I didn't realize it. 

I felt the same during the early/mid 2000's. It's like everything just feels normal and not very special, then years later... POOF it becomes an instant classic and childhood memory. Nostalgia is a strong disease, even millennials like myself can't resist it.

On 3/8/2019 at 8:31 PM, riderr3 said:

9RmlW.png

You can see other replies here

There's even a guy saying that he's "solved" the game twice, similar to what @wheresthebeef mentioned. It's fun to look at old gamer vocabulary sometimes

4 hours ago, TakenStew22 said:

"There's even a patch out there that turns the imposing Barons of Hell into Barney the Dinosaur, his head ringed in musical notes as he chants "I love you, you love me." Now that's terrifying!"

LOL I love this article. Really wish I lived in the 90's.

From those of us who were around in the 90's, trust me when I say "be glad you weren't around for that."

The modern-day equivalent would be "Let it go."

I am 99% sure that Barney wad is right on the archives too, I’ve seen it hosted on ZDaemon servers at least once or twice..

That guy being floored that his friend got a whopping 26 frags is so goddamn adorable, I can’t even think of another word for it, given for the last 20ish years most DMs are first to 30-50 frags and they only take about 4-6 minutes.

If they loved E1 deathmatch that much, something actually designed primarily for DM would have blown them away. I remember playing co-op over LAN a few times with my dad and brother in the late 90s (back when I was just a little kid, before I knew the greatness of DM) and even that just blew me away the 6 or 7 times we did it. We’d spend all day playing once it was set up. My dad would always struggle to get it started but once he did, it was on.

4 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

My dad would always struggle to get it started but once he did, it was on.

Like Donkey Kong?

4 hours ago, JudgeDeadd said:

You can see other replies here

There's even a guy saying that he's "solved" the game twice, similar to what @wheresthebeef mentioned. It's fun to look at old gamer vocabulary sometimes

"Board" is another interesting retro term for level/map. I think it was more popular in the 80s than 90s but the Build editor still referred to maps as "boards".

I've always found the excessive hyperbole and colorful adjectives in these old reviews to be...charming. This one is no exception. I still remember when we were slinging Doom shareware floppies, and the game was a big deal, but I always thought these reviewers were a little over the top.

45 minutes ago, Job said:

I've always found the excessive hyperbole and colorful adjectives in these old reviews to be...charming. This one is no exception. I still remember when we were slinging Doom shareware floppies, and the game was a big deal, but I always thought these reviewers were a little over the top.

Nah. When you find a post that says someone foresook sex for Doom, then you've finally reached the acme of being over the top.

3 minutes ago, Dark Pulse said:

Nah. When you find a post that says someone foresook sex for Doom, then you've finally reached the acme of being over the top.

That's a distinct possibility. But how good is the WAD? And how attractive is the sex partner in question? Something, something, IWAD.

Just now, Job said:

That's a distinct possibility. But how good is the WAD? And how attractive is the sex partner in question? Something, something, IWAD.

cce.jpg

I had an home computer in the mid-90's with all kind of Dos FPS goodies in it.

games would play for like 10-15 minutes, if I were lucky, and crash 9 times out of 10... lol

On 3/12/2019 at 8:08 PM, Doomkid said:

I am 99% sure that Barney wad is right on the archives too

You are 100% sure, Doomkid!

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/themes/barney/

Also, there's the barney wad they talking in the article, check the barney 3d file...

I knew this guy was ported on doom replacing the demon sprites, not the baron one...

funny read, cool way to promote the game also lol, only bogus is that for being a May 1994 issue it spoils alot about the characters' legend.

On 3/8/2019 at 12:31 PM, riderr3 said:

I remember one that always stuck in my mind was a thread where they were over-analyzing the Hell levels. They were like "This is some really twisted shit" and there was one guy who kept coming up with weird theories, like how he saw some Lost Souls floating behind a cage like wall and he was like "ID also made Wolfenstein, I think this is meant to symbolize the Holocaust"

2 hours ago, MsKaye said:

I remember one that always stuck in my mind was a thread where they were over-analyzing the Hell levels. They were like "This is some really twisted shit" and there was one guy who kept coming up with weird theories, like how he saw some Lost Souls floating behind a cage like wall and he was like "ID also made Wolfenstein, I think this is meant to symbolize the Holocaust"

The old swastika egg in E1M4 must've sent him into apoplexy then.