Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MadGuy

Add new episode on Doom 2 with default map names

I'm trying to make a MAPINFO for gzdoom in order to been able to play Classic RBDoom 3 BFG's master levels wad on gzdoom as a separate episode (like "No Rest For the Living"). I have tried some times but with no success (either the master levels run on Doom 2 or the level names of the master levels are shown on Doom 2).

Any help is welcome

Anyone? I literally trying to port Classic RBDoom 3 BFG's master levels to gzdoom and I don't know how to do it properly

I'm not sure how RBDoom 3 names the levels after merging the various separate .wads, but if they're MAP01, MAP02, etc you would need to change those lump names to something unique (e.g. ML01) and then ensure your MAPINFO matches up with the new names.

Alternatively, you could just use this: https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/utils/frontends/zdmlmenu

Nah, I want this mainly for the mlbls that adds white interpic and proper sky textures

No Rest For The Living's mapslots are in the format LEVELxx rather than MAPxx, and GZDoom has a built in NRFTL MAPINFO.

Maps with identical names cannot co-exist. This means any new maps added will need to be named differently in the WAD itself. If Doom 2 is MAP01-MAP32, then you need to do MLxx or some other naming convention where xx is the numbers. You can change skies and interpic all with MAPINFO, but the map names MUST be different if you don't want to override default maps.

I know that about level name, but NERVE is literally using MAPxx for it's level names inside the wad, and I want to know how gzdoom renamed them WITHOUT altering the wad file itself. In case you didn't know classic Doom v1.11 (Doom 3 BFG's classic engine) is having expansion handling, which means that it can load different wad files with the same level names on the fly (mainly by soft resetting the engine).

Ok, found were the rename happens (in the source code) so now I guess the question is if this renaming can be done with scripts

Unless you're planning a public release, it would probably be quicker and easier to just manually rename the lumps.

If you are going for a public release, you probably won't get much interest as I suspect most (G/Q)ZDoom players are already happy with either WadSmoosh or Master Levels Menu Interface.

Edited by NiGHTMARE

A. It does on (g)zdoom since the port itself renames the level lump names

B. You know that didn't stop me to release Classic RBDoom 3 BFG in the first place (plus white interpic)

Im super OCD with the map progression and names as well. I generally separate the PWADS "masterlevels.wad & Nerve.wad" with its own startup and title screen Using SLADE & mapinfo. I may look into Wadsmoosh for the specific core IWADS and continue using the Master Levels Menu Interface by Zappy which I highly recommend.

Spoiler

In Classic RBDoom 3 BFG if you beat all the 21 levels in Hurt me plenty or higher difficulty you will unlock an internal wad selector for them.

Or you can use the launcher