Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
memes4lyfe

THE POWER LEVELS FOR DOOM 2!

16 hours ago, memes4lyfe said:

@-TDRR-, what seems to be the problem? I thought this was patched.

Did you even update the patch? I'm testing it right now on DOSBox and it's working fine.

EDIT: I haven't yet downloaded the latest version so let me see if you haven't updated correctly.

EDIT2: As i thought, this patch is the old version, you need to redownload the .zip i uploaded a page back. Also, when packaging the .wad, remember to change the name of emarines.deh to power.deh so people don't forget they need to load both power.deh and power.wad.

Edited by -TDRR-

so I went on vacation to Kelowna. during my trip, I lost interest in doom mapping in favor of arcade games. when I got back a few weeks later, I gained interest in other games. but after watching civvie`s video on plutonia, I was inspired to start development on map22 today. I have finished the first room in the map, and I plan on expanding on it tomorrow. here is a teaser for what is to come.

teaser14.PNG

7 hours ago, memes4lyfe said:

but after watching civvie`s video on plutonia, I was inspired to start development on map22 today

Whatever you do, DON'T pull a GO2IT. :)

I've checked out some of the early maps and map 22, I can see the improvement of your mapping skills as the wad progresses, my notes about map 22 below:

Spoiler

Some areas have questionable aesthetic choices (and this applies to the whole wad) but this part of the map looks really cool, I also like the secret white cliff you can teleport to.

crispy-doom_V6rZtQhq9y.png.0a2f87fe0e7cbd7467bc33922fc8e2be.png

This gate looks nice too.

crispy-doom_5I9NLqjId1.png.7c6dfc53f879f8bbf400463294b067e6.png

Why the red wall when the floor on the platform is green? It doesn't look good, but that's just a minor thing.

crispy-doom_MdKJBfvlkV.png.ed2fc7f1262f9fd75008f8289c080562.png

This way you marked this yellow key door looks strange too, I didn't even notice it before picking up the nightvision.

crispy-doom_YbukNIDbg7.png.9e20e7d6a838ed520ba253022d77708a.png

Other things I'd like to mention are

- The maze with flickering light, it was a nice idea but it really hurts to look at with those lights going on and off. Maybe just make it dark and have some spots that are lighter, I'd suggest near the lamp texture on the wall.

- The chainsaw marine is fun to fight, but you won't know it has a chainsaw before it attacks you, maybe use sprites of a marine (or zombie) holding a chainsaw, I'm sure you can find those on Realm667 for example.

- The level was enjoyable in general, that first Cyberdemon fight was great. You could place the Cyberdemon and other enemies in a different position or angle so they instantly notice you instead of just standing awkwardly until you fire or walk in front of them.

- I've noticed the better looking areas in the map try to stick to standard geometric shapes, of course you shouldn't make everything squarey and blocky but try to not overdo the weird shapes, the area with invulnerability and the second Cyberdemon looks really bad because of the strange geometry (and lack of detail).

UPDATE TIME!!! I have stopped mapping for quite some time due to a lack of commitment. well NO MORE! I am back and ready to map again. what inspired me was the vanilla doom 4 mod that can be run on DOSBox! DOSBOX I SAY! anyways, here is a teaser to hold you over. it`s kinda like a mini GO 2 IT. except way smaller.

teaser19.PNG

On 8/6/2019 at 8:57 AM, DynamiteKaitorn said:

Whatever you do, DON'T pull a GO2IT. :)

15 minutes ago, memes4lyfe said:

it`s kinda like a mini GO 2 IT. except way smaller.

Oof XD well either way I'm excited to see map 23. :)

progress report: bad news. yesterday, while i was walking to school, i slipped on my back and landed on my computer. when i booted it up, it said "prepairing automatic repair" and then a black screen. after messing around with key binds, i got to a blue setup screen. now it says "repairing disk errors" and i cant continue development. luckily, my lunch somewhat cushioned the fall, and one time i got it to say "no bootable device" so i think im making progress. i will need to have either my uncle or grandpa look at it. until then, development will be halted. sorry for any inconvenience.

i'm having it looked at tomorrow. hopefully it's something as simple as something getting dislodged. i'm going to try a windows 10 boot disk.

just so you know, no, this wad is not dead. my uncle is is just at his place getting repaired without affecting the files. turns out it wasn't the fall that wrecked it, it was turning it off improperly constantly.

well, my wad file can not be recovered, and my laptop will need a new C:\ drive. that sucks. i guess that means i will have to start over from the beginning when i get my laptop back.