Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
memes4lyfe

THE POWER LEVELS FOR DOOM 2!

I also recommend taking a look at Linguica's tutorials here,

About map length, don't stretch out a map too much, otherwise it'll get to the point it feels like it should end far sooner than it actually does, and very few people enjoy maps that do that.

A map should feel like it has enough content to justify its length, which is why Mechadon's overly large maps tend to be so well received, even though they tend to take upwards of an hour or longer to finish.

Also, if you haven't already, I recommend looking at ShadesMaster's modified versions of your first two maps and seeing what he did with them differently and trying to apply some of those concepts to your future maps.

A lot of materiel has been provided for you, and while I personally don't agree with some of what's in the Doomish Den of Design wad linked above, it is worth taking a look at if only for the layout and design and height variation sections (gameplay you can fine tune yourself because these maps are yours, that part of the wad is what I don't like).

Also here's a link to the wad Misty showed, so you can see specifically what I did with it (it'll work properly in PRBoom+ and ZDoom, so you should use one of them).

AC-10sectors.wad

3 hours ago, memes4lyfe said:

so basically just:

make weird shapes in the map.

change floor height drastically.

You have an unenviable habit of taking good advice and twisting it into something patently untrue.  No-one suggested those things, and you know it.  A little bit of humility and willingness to learn will get you a long way.

On 3/16/2019 at 3:30 AM, memes4lyfe said:

i don't suck at mapping, i swear!

Hey hey, I never once said you suck at mapping. Quite the opposite really, you have the potential to become a great mapper. all i'm saying is you need practice and you're thinking a bit too large scope for your current skill level. its not me saying you're a bad mapper, its saying that baby steps are the way to go.

i took a LOOOOONG break from designing levels. now i'm ready to go. just one problem: my creativity for levels is at an all time low. i'm pretty good with layout and design, but i struggle with presentation, shaping, and overall aesthetic of my levels. yes, i know about john romero's rules on designing, but that's not what i'm having trouble with. for example, whenever i make a new room, i just make it a random polygon. my texture alignment is good, just not texture consistency, if that makes sense. i also can not create a consistent theme with my levels, for example, making a library in hell near a Sci-Fi library. are there any tips i should know about creativity and consistency?

The first 2 maps have definitely been improved, and map11 isn't too bad. Not gonna be as detailed as before this time because I don't have as much time today. Just wanted to let you know that it's a bit better than before. Good job.

Still got quite a few issues with this wadpack.

1, the texture placement is very much higgldy-piggldy. Please clean it up, it's an eyesore.

2, there's still a few major errors I found, notably map 1's pit. the teleporter doesn't work; Map 4's blue room switch is still buggered and map 11 seems to have a sector leak bug (not to be confused with a slime trail).

Played through I think level 5-6 so far.  Still a lot of texture issues to fix.  Door frame missing doortrack, those lines also not being pegged.  Also some missing linedefs in areas.  I enjoyed the pace for the most part.  Some fights I did not enjoy do to me own pet peeves (Barons of Hell, Achviles too early, Cyberdemons in general lol).  Keep plugging away and taking the feedback and working on changes. 

As for design, that's part of what making good wads hard.  Anyone can draw some sectors and throw monsters in there.  Its the design.  Don't be afraid on square rooms with rounded corners and what not.  Not everything has to have angles on it.

okay. the sector leak has been fixed by simply adding a vertex. the latest beta is available for download right now.

i watched your stream (until my pc bugged out) and I noticed somethings that slipped through the cracks during patching. I will address these in the patches. also, word of advice: never doorfight. it is not the intended way to play. the chaingun is given for this reason. it`s more fun to go guns blazing and circle strafing.

due to a bug in doom builder 2 that randomly deletes maps frequently, development will be severely slowed until I can restore my work somehow. I will instead use doom builder x.

If you save every map in the power levels as a separate wad, you have a backup for every map in case something messes up. Then you won't have to worry about such random deletions.

And when making a new map, you should still make it a separate wad, because of what I've said, but also because you can save your map into the final wad.

If you use GZDooM Builder, a .backup, .backup2 and .backup3 file are generated (I think after a couple of saves?) simply delete the .backup from the name and BAM! Instant restore! (though make sure you know which one is the most recent otherwise you'll load a much earlier build.)

25 minutes ago, memes4lyfe said:

egg boy, what do you think of my latest maps?

At work, rn, I'll play once I get home :)

Map12: This map feels a bit lazy. Hardly any detailing done, just a linear hallway with a completely skippable cybie fight. The fireblu HDoom room was... uh, interesting. You live up to your username.

Map13: Had to kill a cyberdemon with a plasma rifle. Not a big deal since the room is littered with megaspheres. The yellow key door does not require a key. I accidentally skipped the whole level the first time I played. Also: The bottom of this door is a sky texture.

Spoiler

one of your better maps for sure, not quite as good as map11. I can definitely see the 2fort influences.

Edited by Egg Boy

On 6/1/2019 at 9:48 PM, memes4lyfe said:

in the latest update, named flower and factory, I included TWO maps. check them out!

Definitely 2 interesting maps, at this rate, you'll have a megawad pretty soon. Though the quality is a bit inconsistent. Neither of these maps are offensively bad, but they both feel like beginner's efforts. I would recommend, just as has been previously done, reading Linguica's tutorials, or finding some on youtube that detail map design. Pretty much every encounter is head on, your enemy is never behind you or any place interesting that will challenge you. Flower, I thought, was actually kind of fun because of how it starts, but the second part was a drag, what with the barons and the archie, who weren't hard to kill, but instead tedious once I ran out of BFG ammo. Sorry I'm not being as detailed in my analysis as before, I'm working on my own stuff right now. Again, keep at it, maybe take some more time on the next map. Really think about how the player will move through it and how you, as the mapper, can fuck with them. 

Here's a texture error I found on map 15:

Edited by Egg Boy : removed all pictures as this thread is inactive.