Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
grandgreed

Heretic Neural Texture Pack

This is totally awesome. I wonder if it can be integrated in source ports as a permanent feature. Can it also be used on new third-party graphics? Or does that require new training samples?

48 minutes ago, printz said:

This is totally awesome. I wonder if it can be integrated in source ports as a permanent feature. Can it also be used on new third-party graphics? Or does that require new training samples?

Thanks for your attention. Two engines are supported: GZ and Dengine. Nothing special needed.

Edited by grandgreed

What about the red color on the side of the mouth of the malotaur? Is it normal?
I can imagine, it can be hard to find a good redesign for the little enemies like the gargoyles.
Hyped, I shared the link of the topic ^^ 

10 hours ago, grandgreed said:

Thanks for your attention. Two engines are supported: GZ and Dengine. Nothing special needed.

I meant that: is it hard work to train the neural network to upscale any new texture sets? I suppose from the original post that it was somewhat of a challenge to upscale the Heretic set? Because I'm interested if this can also be applied (by the user eventually, not bothering you every time) with custom third party textures (from other mods), so they don't stand out as low resolution when loading them alongside this mod.

In other words: it would be great if this became a source port feature (instead of a resource wad) to automatically upscale any low resolution textures. However, i understand you had to use specialized tools, which probably take significant off-line time, so maybe it's not ready for what I said here (said source port would have prohibitive loading times, and might need to be distributed with lots of machine learning data in the zip) . 

13 hours ago, Manhs said:

What about the red color on the side of the mouth of the malotaur?

Please show where is it.

11 hours ago, printz said:

is it hard work to train the neural network

It's not hard work but... But it should be remembered that the neural network often interprets what should not be and as a result the original appearance is lost among the invented details. Let the final resolution of the image get a little lower, but close to the original, than it will be high, but with extraneous details.

Regards.

Here is a pic for the malotaur, well little detail, maybe not important, there like a mini red effect.

7DEeVu0.jpg

14 hours ago, Manhs said:

like a mini red effect.

Only bull sprites have this. Other enemys and objects do not have that. Obviously this is some kind of lighting simulation conceived by developers.

Awesome, i shared it, did you made the head of the golem like that intentionally?

I like this design

heretic_textures_hd_20.jpg

Looks like his head is really made out with a pile of rocks like that nice!

14 minutes ago, Manhs said:

did you made the head of the golem like that intentionally?

No side intervention. It's a result by neural network.

ah ok xD lol 
How do you plan to modify it? Well, i suppose it's better to keep it like the original design style!

3 hours ago, Manhs said:

How do you plan to modify it? Well, i suppose it's better to keep it like the original design style! 

I don't have plans to touch it. I just can to try other interpret method to compare, but I think it will be not good result.

Nice, thank you for the work!
I will try at v1 like for Hexen Neural. :)

I just actually realized the existence of this. Really nice work, even if the AI did most (if not everything) of it. Even nicer: Existing GZD brightmaps still work with these resized sprites, so at least you don't have to live without that extra eye candy. Some other stuff like my fullscreen HUD or widescreen sprite fixes naturally breaks things, though.

Awesome, version 1 release! I will play Heretic with it, gonna share it ^^
Thanks for this mod! :)

On 4/13/2019 at 6:19 PM, grandgreed said:

Main post updated with new ver.

v1.0.1

-Fixed transparency on some sprites

-Updated some textures

Which exact sprite names are fixed with transparency? I compared byte-to-byte patches folder of 1.0.1 and v1.0, and found no differences

1 hour ago, theleo_ua said:

Which exact sprite names are fixed with transparency? I compared byte-to-byte patches folder of 1.0.1 and v1.0, and found no differences

Thank you very much for your attention. It should not have been downloaded. This is a workprint, I mistook the names. The right files are uploaded. Big thanks again for noticing this.

Spoiler

CHDLA0
CHDLB0
CHDLC0

Edited by grandgreed

On 4/17/2019 at 8:13 PM, Judicator said:

Hello, how do I load this texture pack in Doomsday?

Please read manual from here.

New ver uploaded.

On 4/28/2019 at 10:06 PM, grandgreed said:

Please read manual from here.

New ver uploaded.

Thank you very much.