Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nirvana

Entropy (Updated)

Enjoying this so far. One potential cheese: 

Spoiler

In the cyb fight with six boxes (revs and viles): if you stand directly against one of the rev boxes, centered, you are safe. None of those revs fire missiles because you are in melee induction range. The cyb can hit you there, neither can the viles. Just have to worry about revs on other side, but you can spam those down with rockets quickly. I say 'potential' because idk if intended; it was fun to realize it though.

Currently getting owned in one of the very first battles of the Rocket Launcher route, with the two opposite monster delivery zones and their correspondng switches in the middle. Excellent idea, I must say. :)

This set of bars earlier on can be passed through, not sure if intended :

Entropy_test_WH_01.png

Dang bars, I fixed all the others a really long time ago and must've missed those. 

4 hours ago, rdwpa said:

Enjoying this so far. One potential cheese: 

Reveal hidden contents

In the cyb fight with six boxes (revs and viles): if you stand directly against one of the rev boxes, centered, you are safe. None of those revs fire missiles because you are in melee induction range. The cyb can hit you there, neither can the viles. Just have to worry about revs on other side, but you can spam those down with rockets quickly. I say 'potential' because idk if intended; it was fun to realize it though.

Not intentional necessarily but all the fights were designed to have a bunch of different ways to complete it so it doesn't bug me too much :D

Glad you guys are enjoying the map so far!

18 hours ago, Nirvana said:

Dang bars, I fixed all the others a really long time ago and must've missed those. 

Not intentional necessarily but all the fights were designed to have a bunch of different ways to complete it so it doesn't bug me too much :D

Glad you guys are enjoying the map so far!

The fight at the area with the pits (the one that had the stuck imp) has the same cheese but I it's the good kind of cheese :)

ppn2x4A.png

This exit teleporter is incredibly easy to miss. I would strongly advise marking it better if you want to avoid making the player wander around for 10 minutes in frustration of not finding any progress.

Posted (edited)

Well... I had to play on HNTR... with frequent saves. Fun map though. The ending was the only fight I had to try more than twice. I didn't realize you could use those yellow boxes to teleport to the other end of the final arena. I'm not usually the slaughterish type, but I still found it enjoyable, and found my way through it, no matter how save scummy the odds.

2 hours ago, Egg Boy said:

Well... I had to play on HNTR... with frequent saves. Fun map though. The ending was the only fight I had to try more than twice. I didn't realize you could use those yellow boxes to teleport to the other end of the final arena. I'm not usually the slaughterish type, but I still found it enjoyable, and found my way through it, no matter how save scummy the odds.

Honestly I'm really glad to hear that you decided to still check out the map on a lower difficulty despite not enjoying slaughter and even more glad that you enjoyed it :D 

HNTR was actually tested quite a lot, with the intention that it would give people who don't enjoy slaughter that much, or who don't play Doom to challenge themselves, their own way to experience the map.

8 hours ago, Lorenz0 said:

Exit

Since rdwpa also missed the exit I've added an extra sign in the latest version, along with some other small changes. Since all of the changes are pretty minor overall, I'm going to wait to release the new version until there are some more things to fix up or until idgames release.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Nirvana said:

Honestly I'm really glad to hear that you decided to still check out the map on a lower difficulty despite not enjoying slaughter and even more glad that you enjoyed it :D 

HNTR was actually tested quite a lot, with the intention that it would give people who don't enjoy slaughter that much, or who don't play Doom to challenge themselves, their own way to experience the map.

I usually don't play maps in  such a way where I save frequently, but the way the encounters were set up was so intriguing i decided to push on. I specifically like the part where you fight a cyberdemon, but your only means of cover is directly in the line of sight of two angry archviles

Edited by Egg Boy

Just finished on UV. Very happy with the overall flow and difficulty, especially the final fight. The best part of the map IMO was the path to the BFG. Felt very rewarding when I finally got it. 

3 hours ago, Btyb88 said:

Just finished on UV. Very happy with the overall flow and difficulty, especially the final fight. The best part of the map IMO was the path to the BFG. Felt very rewarding when I finally got it. 

Yeah I’m a big fan of secret BFGs and secret encounters, so I’m glad that you felt that way. It was a big part of the map’s concept to have that route in place. Secrets that reward the player with more gameplay are always my favourite! 

Ok, since things have died down I'll take this opportunity to bump the thread with an update to the map.

Entropy 1.1:

-Fixed non-impassable midtex near plasma fight

-Added extra shells and bullets to YK fight

-Added timed voodoo to YK fight in case player doesn't shoot the switches until the end (as per rd's request)

-Some slight cosmetic changes to the map

Overall this is a pretty minor update but it fixes a few annoyances player's had initially. 

Uhh... I appear to be in the middle of a giant HOM when starting the map. I'm assuming that shouldn't happen.

EDIT: This is PrBoom+, with both cl9 and the default cl. GZDoom launches it just fine.

p4viDhx.png

@KVELLER Yeah that was a nodebuilding error on my part. Uploaded a half-built version basically. The new version in the OP is fixed.

Two important changes in Entropy1.2:

-New extended version of the map's midi provided by Ribbiks

-Map has been rebuilt with ZokumBSP to get some extra frames out of it. Certain sections that gave low FPS should perform slightly better now (they did in testing), meaning Prboom-Plus is more viable as a sourceport choice now. Thanks to Bemused for his tireless nodebuilding efforts for all of us lately!