Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gerardo194

Doom 3; question about "save your backups" computers.

Recommended Posts

Hi everyone!!! Weeks ago I finished Doom3 once again like a man but since I played this game in 2014, I have no idea about those "save your backups" computers. Why rhe Hell those computers need their backups saved? Does it affect game progress in some way?

Share this post


Link to post

From what I know they don't do anything. Unfortunately.

Share this post


Link to post

anything???? all of my life I've believed that I haven't completed Doom3. My life wasn't complete. So, why did the devs include computers that don't do anything?

Share this post


Link to post

My guess would be it's just one of those things that was eventually cut to reach the release.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

Those screens don't actually do anything in game. I always saw it as a nice little extra touch that not every interactable screen on the face of mars is necessary for your specific success. It's like how you can use the vending machines in half-life or use water fountains and toilets in bioshock, or even kick the chairs and make them spin in brutal doom. Just a little bonus layer of interactability for fun's sake.

 

EDIT: its not the only extraneous worldbuilding in that game. Most of the pda emails are interesting fluff conversations and not relevant gameplay hints. Doom 3 had a lot of attention put into little stuff like that, I imagine because little stuff like that could be easily added on a whim while working on a level.

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/12/2019 at 3:40 AM, EtherBot said:

all of above

 Just like Doom 3's toilets?? I remember reading on the wiki.org that you can find a medikit inside the hell Hole in the last level and so far, I haven't found anything.

Share this post


Link to post

Maybe you were only able to save your games by using those terminals at one point.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, DooM_RO said:

Maybe you were only able to save your games by using those terminals at one point.

I doubt it. There's barely any of those in the game, maybe like 6 or 7? I guess the ui could've been designed as a concept and then when the idea was discarded they just threw a few of them around. It feels a lot more like that crane you can screw with during the beginning of mars city underground.

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/13/2019 at 1:07 PM, Gerardo194 said:

 Just like Doom 3's toilets?? I remember reading on the wiki.org that you can find a medikit inside the hell Hole in the last level and so far, I haven't found anything.

That was old misinformation and was removed a few weeks ago actually. Either somebody made it up entirely, or it was only in some earlier version of the game, or possibly only in the Xbox version, which nobody seems to have and so we have very poor info on it.

 

I was surprised (and a bit disappointed) that backing up all the data wasn't made into an achievement for BFG Edition.

Share this post


Link to post
55 minutes ago, Quasar said:

or possibly only in the Xbox version, which nobody seems to have and so we have very poor info on it.

I have it at home. Remind me to take a look next weekend.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Quasar said:

That was old misinformation and was removed a few weeks ago actually. Either somebody made it up entirely, or it was only in some earlier version of the game, or possibly only in the Xbox version, which nobody seems to have and so we have very poor info on it.

That's sad to know...I always thought that I haven't completed Doom3 at all. I thought backing up the computers data could help me to find that medikit. Well, all of my doubts are clear now.

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/12/2019 at 6:40 AM, EtherBot said:

Those screens don't actually do anything in game. I always saw it as a nice little extra touch that not every interactable screen on the face of mars is necessary for your specific success. It's like how you can use the vending machines in half-life 

In HalfLife the soda cans from those vending machines each gave you 1 health point, also I believe it was one of the achievements in the Steam version.

So they weren't totally useless.

Edited by Korozive

Share this post


Link to post

Far as I know, they don't actually do anything. They're basically just interactive decorations.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Korozive said:

In HalfLife the soda cans from those vending machines each gave you 1 health point, also I believe it was one of the achievements in the Steam version.

So they weren't totally useless.

yeaah i was thinking about that as i wrote it which is why i also included other examples haha. Another more soda related example is the soda cans in the first system shock which some enemies were holding when they died but served absolutely no function with other than like, worldbuilding.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×