Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gerardo194

Doom 3; question about "save your backups" computers.

Hi everyone!!! Weeks ago I finished Doom3 once again like a man but since I played this game in 2014, I have no idea about those "save your backups" computers. Why rhe Hell those computers need their backups saved? Does it affect game progress in some way?

From what I know they don't do anything. Unfortunately.

anything???? all of my life I've believed that I haven't completed Doom3. My life wasn't complete. So, why did the devs include computers that don't do anything?

My guess would be it's just one of those things that was eventually cut to reach the release.

Those screens don't actually do anything in game. I always saw it as a nice little extra touch that not every interactable screen on the face of mars is necessary for your specific success. It's like how you can use the vending machines in half-life or use water fountains and toilets in bioshock, or even kick the chairs and make them spin in brutal doom. Just a little bonus layer of interactability for fun's sake.

EDIT: its not the only extraneous worldbuilding in that game. Most of the pda emails are interesting fluff conversations and not relevant gameplay hints. Doom 3 had a lot of attention put into little stuff like that, I imagine because little stuff like that could be easily added on a whim while working on a level.

On 3/12/2019 at 3:40 AM, EtherBot said:

all of above

Just like Doom 3's toilets?? I remember reading on the wiki.org that you can find a medikit inside the hell Hole in the last level and so far, I haven't found anything.

2 hours ago, DooM_RO said:

Maybe you were only able to save your games by using those terminals at one point.

I doubt it. There's barely any of those in the game, maybe like 6 or 7? I guess the ui could've been designed as a concept and then when the idea was discarded they just threw a few of them around. It feels a lot more like that crane you can screw with during the beginning of mars city underground.

On 3/13/2019 at 1:07 PM, Gerardo194 said:

Just like Doom 3's toilets?? I remember reading on the wiki.org that you can find a medikit inside the hell Hole in the last level and so far, I haven't found anything.

That was old misinformation and was removed a few weeks ago actually. Either somebody made it up entirely, or it was only in some earlier version of the game, or possibly only in the Xbox version, which nobody seems to have and so we have very poor info on it.

I was surprised (and a bit disappointed) that backing up all the data wasn't made into an achievement for BFG Edition.

55 minutes ago, Quasar said:

or possibly only in the Xbox version, which nobody seems to have and so we have very poor info on it.

I have it at home. Remind me to take a look next weekend.

1 hour ago, Quasar said:

That was old misinformation and was removed a few weeks ago actually. Either somebody made it up entirely, or it was only in some earlier version of the game, or possibly only in the Xbox version, which nobody seems to have and so we have very poor info on it.

That's sad to know...I always thought that I haven't completed Doom3 at all. I thought backing up the computers data could help me to find that medikit. Well, all of my doubts are clear now.

On 3/12/2019 at 6:40 AM, EtherBot said:

Those screens don't actually do anything in game. I always saw it as a nice little extra touch that not every interactable screen on the face of mars is necessary for your specific success. It's like how you can use the vending machines in half-life 

In HalfLife the soda cans from those vending machines each gave you 1 health point, also I believe it was one of the achievements in the Steam version.

So they weren't totally useless.

Edited by Korozive

Far as I know, they don't actually do anything. They're basically just interactive decorations.

2 hours ago, Korozive said:

In HalfLife the soda cans from those vending machines each gave you 1 health point, also I believe it was one of the achievements in the Steam version.

So they weren't totally useless.

yeaah i was thinking about that as i wrote it which is why i also included other examples haha. Another more soda related example is the soda cans in the first system shock which some enemies were holding when they died but served absolutely no function with other than like, worldbuilding.

No one seems to have thought of the most obvious answer which is that it was a message put in by the mappers to remind themselves to save often. I could totally imagine them doing hat and just deciding to leave it in since it isnt hurting anything and its on theme with it being a computer 

On 3/14/2019 at 7:07 AM, Gerardo194 said:

I remember reading on the wiki.org that you can find a medikit inside the hell Hole in the last level and so far, I haven't found anything.

On 3/18/2019 at 6:22 PM, Quasar said:

Myth busted:

850324642_MyGreatCaptureScreenshot2019-08-1221-23-01.png.2d7e1e93396741fe4a0461adad0478fc.png

The hole is very short unlike the PC version, though, for obvious reasons. Interestingly, at first glance it seems to be the only difference of hellhole, too.

Are you sure they do nothing? Did anybody count all the backup laptops in the game? Maybe we should locate them all and carefully save them (and I say 'carefully' because I believe that shooting them destroys them).

I either assumed or misread some FAQ or hint guide that you get an email if you succeed saving them all. Am I wrong?

Still, this is TOTALLY ON PAR with DOOM. Par, get it? All those classic DOOM intermission scores whose completion gives you NOTHING.

25 minutes ago, printz said:

Are you sure they do nothing? Did anybody count all the backup laptops in the game? Maybe we should locate them all and carefully save them (and I say 'carefully' because I believe that shooting them destroys them).

Given all of Doom3's scripting is in plain text and easily viewable to anyone with basically any zip archive software, we are quite positive they do nothing. 

I hadnt played DOOM 3 for years until now as im finally going through BFG edition and I was also cofused by the back up computers. I reckon they must have originally been for something. Would be cool if Joe Rogan could dedicate 15 mins of his upcoming podcast with Carmack for questions like this.

NO, SERIOUSLY, THEY DO NOTHING. It's just the GUI programmers showing off what their scripting system can do. The laptop backups don't affect gameplay whatsoever, except that you may get attacked by a monster whilst using one of them.