Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tjkoller

scythe on gzdoom menu

Is there a way to have scythe show up on the menu when gzdoom starts. I have copied scythe to the gzdoom folder. I manually added in the cfg file copying the format other doom wads have, but it doesn't show up. I can run scythe as a shortcut but I want to run a mod on it and the only way I can seem to do it is to drag the mod pk3 file onto the gzdoom application. If there is a way i need really clear steps as I am not a doom god. thanks for any help

For running a mod with a wad like Scythe in gzDoom, the way I like to do it is with ZDL, my fav launcher. https://zdoom.org/wiki/ZDL

In the settings tab of ZDL you let it know where your source port (gzDoom install) is, and where your IWADs are like DOOM2.wad are.

Then in ZDL you have your "load order" on the left, where it says external files. You can put Scythe and the mod of your choice there, and launch it with GZDoom selected on the right, with the launch button on the bottom right. There are more ways to do it, but that's how I know to do it myself.

Also, for the drag and drop way without a launcher, you could try selecting both the mod and scythe with ctrl, and dropping them both onto the GZdoom application. Though I prefer the launcher method myself.

Edited by PsychoGoatee

thanks for the info, I found about the drag cntr drop option after i posted but it is a bit clumsy so i'll try the download.

Scythe is not an IWAD, so you can't select it for your IWAD, if that's what you're asking.

The only WADs that will show up when you double-click GZDoom's EXE are IWADs, and that's because Scythe lacks all sorts of files inside the WAD to be playable on its own (like monster graphics and so on). IWADs contain those, and there's only a limited amount of those.

Your best bet would be to either use a launcher as was suggested (I personally use ZDoom Executor - it works just fine with GZDoom), or simply drag both your mod and Scythe over GZDoom, then select the proper IWAD to run it with (Doom II of course).

Note if you choose to drag them on, the order you highlight them when you drag them on matters for save games - if you load them in the wrong order, the save game will refuse to load. I highly recommend a launcher of some sort.

Something else to be aware of:

Also note that the last loaded pwad will overwrite like named lumps of the first loaded pwad,

which can create some odd and wonderful situations.

Although some lumps, like DECORATE,  can concatenate, while others, like LOCKDEFS, do not.

On 3/14/2019 at 8:06 AM, Kappes Buur said:

while others, like LOCKDEFS, do not.

What makes you think that?

On 3/19/2019 at 4:34 PM, Graf Zahl said:

What makes you think that?

Aha, so they do concatenate.

Thx for setting me straight.

Are there any which do not?