Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
-TDRR-

Good graphical effects?

I'm heavily reworking and polishing DUBG (the name will be changed too, don't worry) and just now noticed how few special effects i have put into the game, it looks kinda bland compared to many other great looking mods.

What are some of your favorite graphical effects seen in Doom mods? (eg. particle effects, good use of dynamic lights, etc.)

To clarify, i'm talking about stuff you would see in gameplay mods, not maps.

Edited by -TDRR-

Dynamic lights, if used well, can add much needed ambience. There are also sector colors, Doom 64-like colors, clever texture use, fog, fade, skyboxes, etc.

To clarify, i'm talking about stuff you would see in gameplay mods, not maps. But thanks for the advice Nevander, that will surely come in handy!

PBR is probably the new hotness, but you will have a lot more texturing work and so on to do, not to mention dynamic lighting is a literal necesssity with it.

One of the most basic things are using sectors to emulate light and shadows, you know: light shining in from other rooms, or diminishing light as you move away from light sources. Yes, it's a simple concept, but it can make a dramatic difference in realism, and make a map much more beautiful and amazing looking.

Edit: Ah, mods, not maps - my bad.

Edited by kb1