Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hellbent

Physicists successfully send Schrödinger's cat back in time.

https://www.sciencealert.com/physicists-successfully-put-time-into-reverse-on-the-smallest-scale

I don't understand at all what this article is about or what the physicists are claiming to have accomplished. Maybe someone smarter than me can give a synopsis?

Something about reversing the law of thermodynamics by reversing the Schrödinger equation inside a quantum computer to reverse the possibilities of quantum states of electrons (or something). I didn't know the law of thermodynamics had anything to do with time?

Then there's this: https://www.technologyreview.com/s/613123/no-ibm-didnt-just-reverse-time-with-a-quantum-computer/

Edited by Hellbent

It means Schrödinger has two cats, one that's alive and another that's died a long time ago, but they're the same cat.

It would have been cool if the physicists had sent one of the cats back in time to meet the other. Somehow I don't think that's what's happened here.  

33 minutes ago, Hellbent said:

https://www.sciencealert.com/physicists-successfully-put-time-into-reverse-on-the-smallest-scale

I don't understand at all what this article is about or what the physicists are claiming to have accomplished. Maybe someone smarter than me can give a synopsis?

A pretty good run-down is here.

Basically, the scientists have shown that it's possible to implement a process which will reverse the trajectory of an electron, so that the electron will eventually revert to what was almost, but not quite, its initial state.

2 hours ago, JudgeDeadd said:

A pretty good run-down is here.

Basically, the scientists have shown that it's possible to implement a process which will reverse the trajectory of an electron, so that the electron will eventually revert to what was almost, but not quite, its initial state.

Adding to that, I guess we can't stress enough how useful it might be for quantum computing. From the publication

On a practical side the time-reversal procedure might be helpful for the quantum program testing. Having in hands a multi-qubit quantum computer it is hard to verify that it really has computed the desired result. Indeed, the full tomography of the computed state is an exponentially hard task. Alternatively, making the time-reversal of the anticipated computed state and running the same evolution drives the computer back to its initial state if and only if the computer really made a correct computation. The initial state is typically non-entangled and therefore its verification is an easy task.

Science experiments on cats?

Here is that time France sent a cat into space. If you're squeamish or hate questionable things done to cats, DO NOT WATCH:

That’s a low blow, Dark Pulse - taking us all down with you..

Where can I get one of these time travelling cats?

TFW you just found out there's a functioning multi-qubit quantum computer. When I did a paper on this in college back in 2001, it was still a far-fetched theoretical thing we thought we might have sometime around 2050.

Now look at what we might have around 2050: https://singularityhub.com/2019/03/15/imagining-the-smart-cities-of-2050/#sm.0000017dejtr2q1f89pvg9e2p9g8r

Bringing together mega-economies, green city infrastructure, and e-services that decimate inefficiency, future transportation and web-based urban services will shape how and where we live, on unthinkable dimensions.

Networked drones, whether personal or parcel deliveries, will circle layered airways, all operated using AI city brains and blockchain-based data infrastructures. Far below, driverless vehicles will give rise to on-demand Cars-as-a-Service, sprawling cities, and newly unlocked real estate.

And as growing megacities across the world begin grappling with next-gen technologies, who knows how many whimsical city visions and architectural plans will populate Earth— and one day, even space.

Autonomous%20Vehicles%20-%20Second-Order