Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hellbent

Orcas are non human persons

“But… but… they are called KILLER Whales!”Yes, that’s what they’ve been named. But their original name was “killer of whales” or “whale killer”; because… early Spanish sailors often watched them kill big whales. It got mixed up when it was translated to English, due to word order being different in different languages, and these amazing, intelligent beings got stuck with a rotten, unfortunate, terrifying name. Citation: 

Orcas (Killer Whales), Orcinus orca

https://www.quora.com/Why-dont-wild-orcas-attack-humans/answer/Stefan-Pociask?ch=10&share=a71b9dd5&srid=Cy6r0

I wouldn't say they're persons, but dolphins & orcas are among the most intelligent animals, based on EQ (encephalization quotient).

it's important to keep in mind that, while animals may be intelligent or relatable, they're still animals and not human. there's always this tendency to anthropomorphize, and it can be misleading.

when I first saw the thread title, I thought it said orcs. you could definitely make an argument for orcs being non-human persons.

As a big fan of animal psychology, no animal is human, but orcas actually have more advanced lobes related to emotion than we do, so thats really interesting. it would be interesting if we could find a feasible communication method for other intelligent species.

I read a cute story somewhere years ago regarding orcas.

This marine biologist had just been hired to work with the sea mammals in this research center, but she was terrified of the orcas. She absolutely couldn't abide the idea of getting into the water tank with them. Every time she got in, when the orca came toward her to investigate, she would panic and leap out of the water as fast as she could.

After about a week of this, she's getting into the tank again, trying to be brave and do her job. The second her feet submerge, the orca immediately zips over to her before she can react, and nibbles her toes. Scares the absolute bejeezus out of her to the point where she's crying. Finally dawns on her the orca was making fun of her, and she got over her fear of the orcas. All because one of them was fucking with her like, "OoooOOohhhh scary orca gonna GEEEET youuuuu! Hue hue hue!"

7 hours ago, Hellbent said:

I think us humans need a better common name for Orcas. Any ideas?

Killer whale? They might be friendly to humans but when hunting they are absolute monsters.

Looks human to me, but some Lorca's aren't even from this universe!

110502_0905b-1-f983bdd.jpeg?quality=45&r

But what about elephants? They don't forget...

And they certainly don't forgive.