Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooMer 4ever

Something that has been bothering me...

You know the secret in one of the maps in shareware Duke Nukem, the one behind the cross in a church where you had to turn the cross uside down. In the secret there is a doom-marine and duke says: hey, it's one of the doom space marines. I was just wondering how they were allowed to do something like that, isn't against some rights. I know some guy from id quit and joined Duke Nukem crew, but still...

He said: "That's one doomed space marine."

I don't see why this would be illegal in any way. They didn't use any art from the game, and there are no copyrights on the word "doomed". And even if 3DRealms had used id stuff somehow, I doubt id would be big enough assholes to actually make a case of it.

Hmm, that's one doomed space marine

Duke Nukem 3D is full with 'little jokes' like that. I don't remember which levels and secrets, but you can also expect, in the same game:

"Hm, looks like she raided her last tumb" (Tumb Raider)
"Hm, I guess he didn't escape from L.A." (Snake Plisskin, Escape from New York/LA)
"We meet again, dr. Jones!" (Indiana Jones)

Go look'em up!

My apologies, "Looks like she raided her last Tomb" (not Tumb bytheway;)) is actually a secret in Shadow Warrior, not Duke3D (but hey, same company) ;-)

From memory, there is also:

An upside down person in stormtrooper armour, hanging by their feet:

"Now this is a force to be reckoned with"

A terminator torso and arm:

"Terminated!"

Well, I guess id Software could make a case out of that, but why punish another game developing company for advertising for one's own product?

Parody is protected under the U.S. copyright laws. You cannot sue somebody for useing your trademarks in a parody.

IMJack said:

Parody is protected under the U.S. copyright laws. You cannot sue somebody for useing your trademarks in a parody.

Yeah, but what kind of parody is it if there is no joke at all. The doomguy just is dead there.

that's right! and Doom2 has the same parody... "looks like it's built by humans rather than demons"...

and Wolfenstein/SOD was made by id software/Apogee (from which 3D Realms is a division)

scorpion said:

My apologies, "Looks like she raided her last Tomb" (not Tumb bytheway;)) is actually a secret in Shadow Warrior, not Duke3D (but hey, same company) ;-)

Boob raider, heh.

The broken submarine in E1M4 is called "USS DALLAS", after the American sub in Hunt for the Red October. It's also a nod towards Richard's Gray navy career before he did the Duke3D maps.

I used to play Duke3D alot, but I don't remember on which map that secret was located.

"That's one doomed space marine."

Plz, can anyone tell me which map I can find that secret?

It was in E1L3 (Death Row). Press space at the altar in the chapel and shoot out the stained-glass window on the left.

I think the Space Marine was more of a tribute than a parody. After all, Duke3D was the first major FPS to come out after Doom 2 (and shortly before Quake).

I think the 'It's impossible level'-song proves that they had to coop with a certain level of copyright awareness.

CyRaptor said:

I think the Space Marine was more of a tribute than a parody. After all, Duke3D was the first major FPS to come out after Doom 2 (and shortly before Quake).

That's maybe also because id-software did their company a huge favor with Wolfenstein, which really and originally was my 1st (person 3d shooter) true love...

CyRaptor said:

It was in E1L3 (Death Row). Press space at the altar in the chapel and shoot out the stained-glass window on the left.

Thanks.

scorpion said:

that's right! and Doom2 has the same parody... "looks like it's built by humans rather than demons"...

and Wolfenstein/SOD was made by id software/Apogee (from which 3D Realms is a division)

So why would Id wanna sue themselves? Not possible.

DooMer 4ever said:

Yeah, but what kind of parody is it if there is no joke at all. The doomguy just is dead there.

Hey, I laughed. :)

If you don't want to think of it as a parady, think of it as a homage. In any case, it's not something to get all bent out of shape about.

Yes, I remember all of that stuff in Duke, and even Shadow Warrior at one point.

Also, Commander Keen in MAP32 is another little ID/Apogee cameo that appears, but I'm sure you all already know this ;)

Another thing in Shadow Warrior, is in one of the ship levels near the end of the game, one of the girls Lo Wang meets parodies Sailor Moon. She even gives Lo Wang a Nuclear Warhead to help in the fight against Zilla("Here, this will help you on your mission!"). I'm sure there's even more parodies/homages I've forgotten in the games.

In SiN, in the last Mansion level before the end of the game, there is a picture of LevelLord on one of the walls, just for example.

Oh, as for the Stormtrooper upside down in Duke3D in Episode 2, it's supposed to be a parody off of Luke when he was disquised as a Storm Trooper in A New Hope. At least that's what someone told me.

Baron of Sigma said:

Oh, as for the Stormtrooper upside down in Duke3D in Episode 2, it's supposed to be a parody off of Luke when he was disquised as a Storm Trooper in A New Hope. At least that's what someone told me.

Hmmm, yeah, I thought that might be the case. I'm trying to remember why I thought that, but I certainly got that impression from it. Maybe simply because it isn't wearing a helmet.

Pretty unrelated: Did anyone else find the grey aliens giggling and roasting something (a cow?) over a fire in a hidden area of the "Outlaws" game (first level IIRC). That was quite a freaky little Easter Egg.

Enjay said:

Pretty unrelated: Did anyone else find the grey aliens giggling and roasting something (a cow?) over a fire in a hidden area of the "Outlaws" game (first level IIRC). That was quite a freaky little Easter Egg.

Yeah, cause after I finished it about a month ago, I went back through the game with cheats on and saw that. Pretty funny :)

in quake3 there is a picture of an ugly fish
dope fish from keen
or some ugly fish from hell who got stuck to the wall for people to throw up on