Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gigi

Is it possible to run Doom III BFG edition without Steam (i bought it as a CD)

Hi guys,

so I (a dumbass) bought the wrong edition of Doom 3. Instead of buying the normal edition, I bought the BFG edition, which you have to install and run with steam. Here's my problem: I'm using Win XP; Steam doesn't work on Win XP. Are there any chances for me to install and run it without steam (I got the game on a CD, not virtual)? Sorry for my weird english, but I'm from germany, so excuse me, please.

After a quick research, you can run Doom 3 BFG without Steam :P The game is technically DRM-free.
More info here. Which means that, you just need the game files and the source port.

the game is actually DRM free so yeah you can probably just extract shit from the disc and run it. the only problem i can see is i dont think BFG edition supports 32 bit. but i could be wrong.

can perfected doom work with this source port?.Are any of you interested in helping me develope Perfected doom 3 Rip and tear edition.it includes new sounds,improved demons such as a bigger version of the baron of hell a different version of the Soulknight,monsters from hell in time such as the arachnotron and pink demon.Rare unused monster the behemoth/Hell brute

this guy

image.png.9835beaa5cc0eba1033e69506b31a2e8.png

and a more dangerous version of the spider mastermind with a bfg gatling gun(if you know perfected doom the bfg has different weapon modes and one of them is a rapid fire Gatling gun) new custom maps from doom 3 alpha to explain how the marine got to hell In the In Hell campaign.Also the allied marine squadmates mod is compatible with perfected how ever the real weapons xp addon is not.Gonna make that work.And finally give the marine a helment(not Arls) and some gloves

image.png.fab96b07ce8f53a789aaf4da7b8fb960.png

Now I finished dealing with the new sounds

already made the helmet mod(but it doesnt work with cutscenes could anyone help)

you can find the helment mod here https://www.moddb.com/addons/doom-3-helments

Now would anyone like to help me with this improved version of perfected doom 3

On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 9:32 AM, DoomedSpartan said:

can perfected doom work with this source port?

I guess it can but you have to port the source code to this port (you can still make a game dll and use it with that port)

10 hours ago, DoomedSpartan said:

But will the mod be compatible since Doom 3 bfg uses idtech 5 and the mod uses id tech 4

BFG uses id tech 4 , 5 and 1.

It use 4 for the main logic of Doom 3, 5 for input and menus and 1 for classic Doom

really well I will try it then.But which source port would you recommend using RBDoom-3-Bfg or Classic-RBDoom-3-Bfg

Edited by DoomedSpartan

11 hours ago, DoomedSpartan said:

really well I will try it then.But which source port would you recommend using RBDoom-3-Bfg or Classic-RBDoom-3-Bfg

Classic-RBDoom-3-BFG, if you want a more "Classic" feeling on all 3 games (plus various update and bugfixes the original don't even have and also game dll support)