Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
I_Am_Doom_Man

Anyone else prefer to play with older graphics in the original 300x200 res?

Its certainly not the most functional resolution to play in especially with maps that have enemies very far away but I can't help but enjoy the charm of playing with outdated graphics. Doom never "felt" right to me so scaled up and when I play it in its original form I feel like I'm taking a break the mind blowing wow factor of modern games and for a moment get to appreciate games from where they came.

Like playing it so old school looking isn't any less of a wow factor considering what the original guys were able to pull off with what they had at the time.

if your question is "does anyone prefer to play in <any oldschool fashion>" on Doomworld, the answer is invariably "yes"

I like doing it sometimes, since it is indeed what I used to experience long ago as a kid.

I prefer using Chocolate Doom. It's nice to feel like I'm playing the original DOS executable, even though I never dealt with DOS in my life and I was introduced to Doom thanks to GZDoom.

I have played it in that resolution (via Chocolate Doom) although i think Chocolate Doom upscales to fit within your monitors window/screen (or something along those lines) but it's still technically in 300x200.

If i were to play it "oldschool", i'd prefer to play it with how Crispy Doom does it which i think is 640x400 and in 4:3 with HUD aspect correction (so black bars on the sides) since my monitor is 16:9. 300x200 is just a tad too chunky for me, although i have played most of The Ultimate Doom with that res (on a 32" 1080p TV no less) in full screen mode :p

I'm sure if i had a nice crisp CRT it would look great and then i would probably like it a lot more as i never did get to experience Doom on a true CRT (at least not that i recall). Doom on a 19" CRT TV on Xbox via the Doom 3 Limited Collector's Edition isn't the same thing :p

Everytime I see WADs in 320 x 200 on my phone‘s screen, I think: „Man, those oldschool graphics look awesome.“ but as soon as I try that myself on my 15“ laptop screen, it‘s already too chunky for me. Even though I grew up with those graphics, I must admit, that I‘d need at least 640 x 400 these days. 

And since some of the modern WADs are created without limits in mind, I even enjoy using 1080p, with antialiased edges, ambient occlusion and some mipmapping as well. Gotta turn off that texture interpolation though, because that shit‘s just hideous. 

I personally don't.

320x200 looks pretty different on an LCD than it did on a CRT of the time anyway, it looks really, really sharp in addition to being a pain to discern what's in the distance. I'm not attached to the original resolution for nostalgic reasons or anything like that either. I prefer running Doom in 1080p.

35 minutes ago, seed said:

I personally don't.

320x200 looks pretty different on an LCD than it did on a CRT of the time anyway, it looks really, really sharp in addition to being a pain to discern what's in the distance. I'm not attached to the original resolution for nostalgic reasons or anything like that either. I prefer running Doom in 1080p.

Same. I am a spoiled brat myself. I need atleast 1280x720 resolution (the lowest 16:9 ratio res my laptop supports) to enjoy. And that too I only use if 1080p is laggy.

Yes, me! I always use DosBox to play the Iwads. Rarely I use Doom95 in my current PC. It used to look cool in my old PC.

Don't like it too sharp -- it makes the visuals look worse to me when the fidelity is so low in other ways.  But after habitually using doom/2.exe in DosBox for playing vanilla wads, I tried out Crispy Doom and definitely 640x400 is the sweet spot for me, won't be going back except for testing. 320x200 literally kills me, bloody hard to see rockets sometimes.

I do prefer high resolution and widescreen but I can see why someone would like to use the original resolution, Doom does feel more special in low resolution but I think that original 320x200 is just too low for modern screens. I recently tried crispy doom for the first time and I have say that 640x400 resolution works alot better for me. I like crispy alot and I can see myself starting to play more with it to experience Doom in more classic way than what prboom+ offers.

38 minutes ago, banjiepixel said:

I like crispy alot and I can see myself starting to play more with it to experience Doom in more classic way than what prboom+ offers.

No offense. While I can understand that some people like low resolutions, I really don't get it why anyone likes to use Crispy over something like PrBoom+. Both PrBoom+ and Eternity Engine can also run in 640x400 resolution and they can also run Boom/MBF wads that Crispy can't. Also there are extra options that PrBoom+/Eternity offer.

sometimes I do for the chunky retro effect but then I can't see shit in the distance so I switch it back to hi-res again

software 4 life though, fuqq texture filtering 

23 minutes ago, ReaperAA said:

No offense. While I can understand that some people like low resolutions, I really don't get it why anyone likes to use Crispy over something like PrBoom+. Both PrBoom+ and Eternity Engine can also run in 640x400 resolution and they can also run Boom/MBF wads that Crispy can't. Also there are extra options that PrBoom+/Eternity offer.

It's complicated. I can be bit of a purist. I try not to use zdoom based source ports because of it and I feel also a need use boom based stuff less. PrBoom+ is a great port but has not been updated for a while. It also lacks some polish and just feels bit outdated from a software product standpoint. I have pretty limited experience with Eternity Engine but it seems to have more polish and feel more modern but I also needs more tweaking than PrBoom+ to get all the options right. It also lacks support for OpenGL.

Crispy Doom has polish, feels like a modern software and has some exclusive options like randomly mirrored death animations and the transparent hud. As far as I know, it has also better netcode than PrBoom+ or Eternity Engine. Only real negative is that I would like crispy to have a built in launcher bit like the one PrBoom+. Eternity Engine has a launcher too but it is horrible. I also just kinda like idea of playing with a source port that i just limit removing, since it is basically just a bugfix for vanilla doom and doesn't add any fan created mapping features.

It's 320x200. I have played through Ultimate Doom and Doom II in that resolution and enjoyed. I play Blood, Elder Scrolls: Arena and other games that requires DosBox in 320x200 too.

Sometimes I like to play on DOSBOX just to play it the old-fashioned way, but that's only when I am able to deal with my screen being stretched. My native screen resolution is 1600x900, and when I play Vanilla Doom on DOSBOX, it just gets stretched and I am rarely able to just go with the flow.

I like the pixels, but also the fuzzy look on top and prefer it wherever possible, even in GZDoom, I'll use retroshader and/or scaling methods to emulate lower resolutions. In Crispy Doom I've sometimes taken a liking to turning on low detail mode, I played all of Base Ganymede like that one time.

I also like the software style light diminishing, 8-bit color palette limitations (even with the original, imperfect Doom palette), banding/gradient effect around dynamic lights that're introduced when using the palette tonemap in GZDoom.

I like to use 320x200 when I'm playing an old mapset that was made to be seen on that resolution (like the original IWads, Hell Revealed, Memento Mori, TNT, etc). These maps tend to look bland on higher resolutions, but the pixelation creates an ilusion of a more complex, dirty and organic structure instead of straight lines and cubes.

I also use it if I'm playing a more horror-oriented or atmospheric map, since the pixelation + software lighting make it look like a fog. It's always more moody when you can't see very well at distance.

Edited by Noiser

I feel like when people say that a game's visuals aged poorly, they're looking at it with modern resolutions, some kind of crappy filter, plain raw assets (no scanlines, dithering or proper color emulation) and a LCD monitor, for that nice washed out look.

I always play at the beautiful, defined and crisp resolution of 640x400, not too hi-res, but not too low.

I never have a problem playing at 320x200, but why should i? The game looks perfect at a doubled resolution, and with big maps low resolutions will easily cost you many lives.

eh, I keep it 1280 x 720 on prboom+, windowed. 

It works for me and I'm quite pleased with how it looks that way :D 

On modern displays 320x200 looks a bit too blurry. It's still perfectly playable but definitely doesn't look as good as it did on CRT or even the smaller LCD of the past. Too high res can make old school maps look empty or too basic. Something like 640x400 is a nice balance.

18 hours ago, Lila Feuer said:

I like the pixels, but also the fuzzy look on top and prefer it wherever possible, even in GZDoom, I'll use retroshader and/or scaling methods to emulate lower resolutions. In Crispy Doom I've sometimes taken a liking to turning on low detail mode, I played all of Base Ganymede like that one time.

I also like the software style light diminishing, 8-bit color palette limitations (even with the original, imperfect Doom palette), banding/gradient effect around dynamic lights that're introduced when using the palette tonemap in GZDoom.

I too like the pixels, software style light diminishing and 8-bit color palette limitation and i don't mind the banding/gradient effect either. The only thing i don't really emulate is setting my monitor to 300x200 or 640x400 unless i'm specifically using Choco or Crispy Doom (scaling methods basically). Bear in mind that i only have one 21.5" ASUS 1080p 16:9 monitor that was about $105.00 in 2015 or so. Not the most expensive monitor ever. (it even has a few tiny dead pixels already, cheap ass monitor)

I like to keep it in 1920x1080 (basically my monitors native res) as i find it to look the "best" in my monitors native res. I don't play windowed either though so it can look a little too sharp (crispy/blocky w/e) without any AA or other filtering on, but i don't mind.

I don't know what a retroshader is (is that like PalPlus or w/e?). 

I play the game on a CGA monitor in 160x100 resolution.

I wouldn’t say I prefer it necessarily, but I do play (and test wads I’m working on) in DosBox, Chocolate Doom and Crispy Doom. Before Crispy came along I would also play stuff in Doom95, partially for lulz but partially for genuine testing purposes, plus a touch of nostalgia. I just don’t see the point anymore though since Crispy adds in the 640x480 res and increased visplane limit that I was so fond of Doom95 for.

Tangent: Of course, I play and test stuff in just about every port, all the way up through GZDoom. One of the fun things about being a primarily vanilla mapper who regularly includes stuff like new sprites and new enemy/weapon behaviour though dehacked patches and such is that you get to observe the subtle differences and inconsistencies between each port in an even deeper way than usual. The differences are usually subtle to the point where they would be unidentifiable by anyone who isn’t possessed by Doom fever to the point of concern, but still, they’re fun to pick out when testing your works across the Doom port spectrum.

On 3/17/2019 at 4:27 PM, Lila Feuer said:

and a LCD monitor, for that nice washed out look.

More like oversaturated colors than washed out tbh.

I'm mostly okay with them, and we'd better be me thinks, considering we're probably never going to experience the same visuals it had at the time without going for real, old hardware.

I'm another in the Crispy camp. Chocolate does have that lovely retro feel, but on a 1080p LCD 320x200 is just a tad too low to be really able to make out much. 640x400 in Crispy is that nice sweet spot while still feeling completely traditional. 

On 3/17/2019 at 4:08 AM, ReaperAA said:

No offense. While I can understand that some people like low resolutions, I really don't get it why anyone likes to use Crispy over something like PrBoom+.

Personally speaking, I just don't really like PRBoom+. The mouse control just feels... weird. For me, PRBoom+ is mostly used as a demo playback tool. If I'm going to play on an enhanced source port I just jump all the way to GZDoom for those sweet additional graphical effects.

1 minute ago, Bauul said:

Personally speaking, I just don't really like PRBoom+. The mouse control just feels... weird.

Shouldn't it be possible to adjust sensitivity/acceleration to match that of crispy doom. If not, then have u tried using Eternity Engine. Maybe u might find mouse control better in it.

Plus while GZDoom can run boom/MBF wads, it has much higher system requirements than PrBoom+/Eternity and it also has physics, AI behaviour and hitbox differences.

I do prefer playing like this using chocolate doom when playing the IWADS or a mapset with a classic feel such as the DTWID series, but for eveything else i keep the resolution up, with the exception of playing some wads with a 640x480 resolution on gzdoom just for fun

1 hour ago, ReaperAA said:

Shouldn't it be possible to adjust sensitivity/acceleration to match that of crispy doom. If not, then have u tried using Eternity Engine. Maybe u might find mouse control better in it.

Plus while GZDoom can run boom/MBF wads, it has much higher system requirements than PrBoom+/Eternity and it also has physics, AI behaviour and hitbox differences.

Every source port carries a different feeling. PrBoom feels pretty much identical to Eternity (although the latter does have a variety of mouse acceleration modules so it can imitate Choco's pretty well if the default is not good enough or doesn't suit someone's taste). Even with the acceleration turned all the way down, PrBoom still feels as if there still is some.

Besides, it all comes down to personal preference, if someone prefers ZDoom and its derivatives for instance, who are we to try to persuade them into using something else. There's reasons why one would still prefer Crispy or Choco. One example would be that, as accurate as PrBoom or Eternity are to the original, hey don't preserve all the bugs and limitations of vanilla, something Choco does and it's deliberately minimalist by nature and design. Personally, what I care about is vanilla accuracy (behavior, physics, and overall feeling), but bugs and limitations absolutely do not count for me, so I only jump to Crispy every now and then, but even so, only for the IWADs, Eternity, PrBoom, or even ZDoom are my choice for basically everything (else).