Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TwinBeast

Freetime, School, Work?

How much time do you have for Doom, games, development/modding or other hobbies?

After I started school in november to be a practical nurse, I haven't had any time for anything else but school stuff. I did manage to play through Doom II once. Then at the first work practice I still had some school assignments that needed to be done before the last week of the work practice. I could only work on them during weekends, as I had very little time at home before I needed to go to sleep.

Next course definitely not going to go to work practice when I still have school assignments and definitely not going to go somewhere with over 1 hour travel.

So how about you?

18 minutes ago, TwinBeast said:

How much time do you have for Doom, games, development/modding or other hobbies?

a lot

When I was in college and taking it seriously, I didn't have time for anything and essentially torched all connections to friends and family. All my courses were math and physics and chemistry so this is perhaps not your average university experience. Now that I'm in "real life" I have a lot more time, although I tend to fill it with non-doom hobbies and keep doom to weekends generally.

1 hour ago, Vorpal said:

When I was in college and taking it seriously, I didn't have time for anything and essentially torched all connections to friends and family.

I too did this. In the end, I have money without spending it to go out and socialize. Plus all of my friends back then were deadbeats that managed to end up in trouble. I think it's the area I lived in. Not many of us ever left that area without a criminal record.

In a way video games kept me out of trouble. Why go out to party or drink when video games were a quick fix for an hour or so to have entertainment instead of... getting ready... driving... spending money that night... Food isn't cheap... listening to drama... chaos potentially caused... driving home... Hours wasted when I can literally be more entertained by being more efficient. Not like I can study at a bar or restaurant with friends there.

Anyway... take work seriously, it will get you money. Take college seriously because you paid an investment of money to be in it. I have plenty of friends now that went through college only to get more money outside of what they have a degree in.

Games are fun, but I can't devote more than 10 - 20 minutes into games. That's why I play terrible games. I get my 10 minutes and I move on. I can't play Ultra Violence Doom like I did. I just play the easiest difficulty, have my fun and move on. I'm not a teen anymore where I can devote hours and resets to Ultra Violence anymore. It's not a job.

Edited by geo

When your working and studying at the same time, you can kiss all that extra free time you used to have away. Its a big change if your not used to it but I honestly prefer keeping my self busy with school and work, because when you do get that bit of free time after a long day of work or studying its extremely satisfying.

I work 8:00 AM-4:30 PM Monday-Friday and can pretty much do what I want after that.

I work full time. Still at home with parents for a couple more months. This gives me an advantage with getting food cooked and clothes cleaned. I have time to play games after work but I choose to relax and watch youtube.

Weekends is when I spend several hours a day gaming.

Edited by Chezza

Allright.

Back to school. Talked to some classmates who have been on the current/next course for around a month already. They told this course has a ton of assignments! Oh, wee! The previous course already felt like it had a ton of assignments.

Forgot how hard the school chairs are. My buttocks are in agony. I want a cushion. The good things are that the travel time and the days are shorter to the school. Now I have around 5 hours at home before I need to go sleep. Though I have to take an hour long nap after school. Earlier I had 3 hours, felt very tired, couldn't take a nap, because that would have ruined sleeping at night.

Have continued some physical exercise with the "extra time" now.

I am actually quite lucky and don't have to work so much at the moment. I work 3 days a week, each around 3 hours only. Although due to transportation I am nearly 5 hours out of the house. Some months I work from Monday to Sunday, though and thus can barely map at all. Even when I have free time and no work, I do have a wife and am not completely free to map 24/7.

Recently, I have installed "Manic Time" just to have an overview, how much time I actually spend in GzDB and the results are a bit surprising. On average I map 3 hours every day and it still takes me about half a year (!) to finish a single map. I hope I can improve this in the future, because otherwise there won't be so many releases from me anymore, because I am old. xD It's crazy, but mapping is a time consuming hobby and if you only have a couple of hours time during the weekend, then you can't release much at all.

I used to spend summer and winter breaks doing all my modding, even through college. I majored in English Lit so my workload wasn't bad, but I just never could really get into the zone with mapping while living with roommates.

After I graduated I spent 2.5 years working, just nonstop, and I thought that was what I was "supposed" to do. I'm just really bad at multitasking and figured I was growing up. I do have two other serious hobbies - creative writing and electric bass.

I got laid off in September and I'm realizing I don't have many "grown up" goals other than financial independence. In fact I'm realizing I'm still very, very protective of my free time. I got back into Doom mapping recently after my dad passed away, because I just had to do something I enjoyed instead of killing myself with the corporate world again. I love this community so much.

Back to OP's question though I usually go out and be "social" once a week. That leaves lots of time for projects and stuff.

On 3/28/2019 at 7:27 PM, elend said:

Recently, I have installed "Manic Time" just to have an overview, how much time I actually spend in GzDB and the results are a bit surprising. On average I map 3 hours every day and it still takes me about half a year (!) to finish a single map.

Lol are you me? I'm only 25 but I've never finished a map...ever. I used to think I had to keep up with trends and feedback and stuff. Now I feel like I just shouldn't give a crap anymore. And just do it for fun.

Edited by StoneFrog

I work shifts, mostly day and evenings, some night shifts occationally. My spare time goes to the everyday stuff like going to the gym, making dinner, socializing, playing with my bands/making music, fixing, riding my bikes, going camping/fishing and so on. Lately I have prioritized mapping for Doom a little as I had a little spark of inspiration (finally!). Basically in theory I have all the time in the world (before/after work) to play/map Doom, but other things steal alot of time.

Oh, and Im a nurse btw =) School was hard, indeed! Not much spare time back then heh

Until I finish my certifications and get some old court stuff taken care of, got plenty of time since my current job only has me working 3 -5 hrs a day depending on which day of the week it is, easy job but no days off.