Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Paar

Level of accuracy for Heretic support

I know that Heretic support is still WIP even though it looks pretty solid already. I have very high hopes for this support because this is the first time Heretic is getting something that could be considered as a Boom alternative but with the bonus of being highly modable. At least I think so. So what level of accuracy do you aim for? Do you want it to be demo compatible as Doom support is?

Will Heretic support all modding features of the engine?

Edited by Paar

1 hour ago, Paar said:

So what level of accuracy do you aim for? Do you want it to be demo compatible as Doom support is?

From remarks gathered in the Eternity discord channel it seems EE would be capable of faithfully playing Heretic, but won't be aiming for complete demo compatibility as it has done so for (vanilla) Doom.

There's not much competition regarding Heretic support in other source ports (with modding capabilities) so I will be probably happy with "faithfully playing Heretic", even though I would be interested in changes made in comparison to the original source code.

I had looked into adding Heretic demo compatibility, but I found out there's too much gameplay-irrelevant junk to take care of. If demo compatibility really fails, I'm going to just do a careful analysis by comparing the Chocolate-Doom and Chocolate-Heretic source codes, and only consider Eternity to be Heretic compatible when I have swept through everything. There are way too many little details one can ignore by just glossing over and assuming Heretic is a thin mod of Doom…

Personally, I'm not interested in demo recording for those games, I just hope Eternity will, overall, do a better job than GZDoom does with them as far as accuracy is concerned, even if it's not going to be as accurate as Choco is, for instance.

Funny, isn't? Personal wishes for 2 games I have little in interest but sharing them anyway.

I really like Heretic (surprise), so much so that I enjoy mapping for it more than for Doom, even though I consider Doom to be a better game.

My dream project that I would like to achieve in my lifetime is to take Heretic and do some kind of remaster that would solve some balancing issues, change a weapon or two, add some variety to textures in all of the episodes to separate them thematicaly, make new decorations and maybe create a bonus episode. I aim for it to be as vanilla as possible so accuracy of the Eternity means a lot to me.

Same for Hexen eventually. To me, Heresiarch is the true Serpent Rider 😇.

If Eternity would be able to record and play own Heretic, Hexen, Strife demos, it would be really enough. About accuracy - i think it should be close to vanilla as possible.