Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
A Nobody

Doom Over Perfect Dark?

Perfect Dark was easily one of the best shooters—and best overall titles—for the N64. But come on, let's be fair. It

• Runs at an extremely low framerate in high res mode, and is only marginally smoother in low res.

• Runs at what are by today's standards intolerably low resolutions.

• Has a non-existent modding scene.

• Features some pretty lousy aiming, owing to the awkward design of the N64 controller, and the problems in general with joystick aiming.

• Can only overcome these issues through PC emulation.

It doesn't really make much sense to compare the two. It would be more logical to compare Doom to a similar shooter from the same era.

On 3/19/2019 at 3:15 PM, Ajora said:

I don't mean to knock Perfect Dark, but it's aged like sour milk. A full-on remake for the PC could potentially be great, but I'm not holding my breath. 

not for PC but it runs at 4k and at 60fps with no slowdown.

It runs buttery smooth and with keyobard and mouse support coming thick and fast its a winner.

81s9mAkhuZL._SY679_.jpg

I only have the remaster on my cheap secondhand 360.

I wish they would port PDR2010 to the PC like with the Halo games.

12 minutes ago, R4L said:

Wait, keyboard and mouse support for XBone PD? That's an instant win. Aiming with the controller sucks so bad.

Microsoft has been saying that since last year & it still hasn't happened. I have no idea when they'll actually pull through with it but even if it does happen i doubt they'll actually implement it into every game. I wouldn't get my hopes up tbh.

But the modern controller support is 10x better than going back to the N64 one imo ;)

Just now, CyberDreams said:

But the modern controller support is 10x better than going back to the N64 one imo ;)

I disagree. Everything else is good, but aiming is not. It's hard to be accurate.

On Wednesday, April 10, 2019 at 10:38 AM, R4L said:

I disagree. Everything else is good, but aiming is not. It's hard to be accurate.

I don't have a problem with aiming on the N64.

5 minutes ago, The-Heretic-Assassin said:

I honestly found it easier on the N64 than with the 360 controller. I've never really liked that controller for FPS games, the joysticks seem far too sensitive. Unless you turn sensitivity all the way down, then it's a pain to even turn around. The N64 had a fantastic joystick, it had a minimal deadzone, and seemed to accelerate at just the right speed. Until you used it for more than a few months, then the plastic would grind off and clog it up and turn it to shit.

I remember playing GoldenEye years ago and there were just some cheats I could not get no matter how hard I tried. Then I got a new controller and breezed through them. Turns out the joystick was just too damn clogged to move fast enough.

So the controller had it's ups and downs. But I still don't like the sticks and the d-pad on the xbox controller. D-pad especially. Couldn't even get through the training in Mortal Kombat 9 using that d-pad, had to switch to an SNES controller to play the game so I could do special moves and combos.

6 hours ago, The-Heretic-Assassin said:

Me either, me complaint was with the 360/XBone version.

6 hours ago, Jello said:

I honestly found it easier on the N64 than with the 360 controller. I've never really liked that controller for FPS games, the joysticks seem far too sensitive. Unless you turn sensitivity all the way down, then it's a pain to even turn around. The N64 had a fantastic joystick, it had a minimal deadzone, and seemed to accelerate at just the right speed. Until you used it for more than a few months, then the plastic would grind off and clog it up and turn it to shit.

I remember playing GoldenEye years ago and there were just some cheats I could not get no matter how hard I tried. Then I got a new controller and breezed through them. Turns out the joystick was just too damn clogged to move fast enough.

So the controller had it's ups and downs. But I still don't like the sticks and the d-pad on the xbox controller. D-pad especially. Couldn't even get through the training in Mortal Kombat 9 using that d-pad, had to switch to an SNES controller to play the game so I could do special moves and combos.

YAS. I replaced my joystick in my old N64 controller with a gamecube one, and that was terrible. The sensitivity is so bad. But then I found a PCB that a guy made that replaces the PCB on the gamecube stick, and fixes that problem. Now I have a N64 controller with a dope ass joystick. Can't beat it man, you're right about how accurate it is.

8 hours ago, Jello said:

You're definitely right about the shitty Xbox controller d-pad. Microsoft didn't fix it until the Xbox One (took 'em long enough). Using the 360 controller and it's d-pad for any classic games was just horrible. It's basically the same d-pad that's on the original Xbox controller and that one sucks too imo. Nowadays it's harder for me to play FPS's without at least 2 joysticks, but some do work okay with just one if they were designed for it like GoldenEye was.

And yeah, those N64 joysticks did not last long at all. A company named Hori released an N64 controller in Japan that has a similar joystick to the Gamecube one but it also switches around the d-pad and the controller itself is also really small. I've always wanted to try one for the better joystick and button layout (besides the d-pad) but they are quite pricey. It's called the Hori Mini pad. It's probably too small for my hands though xD

n64-hori-mini-pad-front.jpg

On Friday, April 12, 2019 at 1:52 AM, CyberDreams said:

You're definitely right about the shitty Xbox controller d-pad. Microsoft didn't fix it until the Xbox One (took 'em long enough). Using the 360 controller and it's d-pad for any classic games was just horrible. It's basically the same d-pad that's on the original Xbox controller and that one sucks too imo. Nowadays it's harder for me to play FPS's without at least 2 joysticks, but some do work okay with just one if they were designed for it like GoldenEye was.

And yeah, those N64 joysticks did not last long at all. A company named Hori released an N64 controller in Japan that has a similar joystick to the Gamecube one but it also switches around the d-pad and the controller itself is also really small. I've always wanted to try one for the better joystick and button layout (besides the d-pad) but they are quite pricey. It's called the Hori Mini pad. It's probably too small for my hands though xD

n64-hori-mini-pad-front.jpg

Mini GameCube controller. The original N64 controller is excellent though.

I like both perfect dark and doom both on their own merits, pd is way better than GoldenEye in my opinion, but only if we can find a way to make pd more accessible, so it would become more mainstream. I love the design, the missions (except for the alien missions, frustrating) and especially the music! Rare makes great game soundtracks. But I wish someone would make a good pd mod for doom

On 3/19/2019 at 11:15 AM, Ajora said:

Doom is the king of first-person shooters.

Doom is the king of videogames! Kneel before Doom!

I wasn't an N64 kid, and I really don't care much for the system overall, but from my limited exposure to PD it's obviously a masterpiece that deserves respect and recognition. I think the biggest problem is that the N64 is hard to emulate. I've spent many many happy hours searching for PSX hidden gems, but I gave up on the N64. Goldeneye performs terribly and I assume PD is much worse. But I agree with those who say it's apples & oranges.

If we're going by the length of the feature list, the best shooter game of all time is obviously ROTT. When I booted up the (incredible) Zdoom remake, I was deeply disappointed that it didn't let me warm up my Priest Porridge by shooting a rocket nearby and turning it into Priest Porridge (Hot), for more health recovery.

3 hours ago, Deathclaw886 said:

I don't like the n64 controller either, the placement of the joysticknand the overall shape is uncomfortable

Fun fact; the N64 controller was designed by Lance Barr (Nintendo of America) with the Japanese design team that way, with it only specialized for Super Mario 64 in Shigeru Miyamoto's mind.

5 hours ago, Aaron Blain said:

I think the biggest problem is that the N64 is hard to emulate.

Sega Saturn would like to have a word with you.

Just now, InDOOMnesia said:

Fun fact; the N64 controller was designed by Lance Barr (Nintendo of America) with the Japanese design team that way, with it only specialized for Super Mario 64 in Shigeru Miyamoto's mind.

Well surely they should have expected alot more complex games than Mario 64, i.e perfect dark

5 hours ago, Aaron Blain said:

If we're going by the length of the feature list, the best shooter game of all time is obviously ROTT. When I booted up the (incredible) Zdoom remake, I was deeply disappointed that it didn't let me warm up my Priest Porridge by shooting a rocket nearby and turning it into Priest Porridge (Hot), for more health recovery.

I assume you are talking about "Return of the Triad". I recently played that mod and I can say that the feature exists in it. Maybe you just missed it.

On 3/20/2019 at 1:15 AM, ReaperAA said:

Because:

1) Doom is available on PC without need for emulation.

2) Doom is more fast paced.

3) Wide variety of modern source ports available.

4) Is very moddable and has tons of maps to last a lifetime.

5) Some people like its simplicity.

6) Some people are not interested in story/mission based games.

Also Doom was more revolutionary. A lot of things u mention about PD already existed in other fps games:

1) Each weapon with alternate firing modes (Unreal had those)

2) Fully customizable AI bots (Unreal Tournament had those)

3) Cutscenes and voice acting (Duke 3D had those)

4) A hub area (Hexen had hubs)

5) Multiple characters (Hexen had those, as well as many other games)

Man, Unreal needs more love <3 Unreal and Unreal Tournament are gems, and like Doom, the first Unreal was a marvel.

4 hours ago, Aaron Blain said:

Doom is the king of videogames! Kneel before Doom!

I wasn't an N64 kid, and I really don't care much for the system overall, but from my limited exposure to PD it's obviously a masterpiece that deserves respect and recognition. I think the biggest problem is that the N64 is hard to emulate. I've spent many many happy hours searching for PSX hidden gems, but I gave up on the N64. Goldeneye performs terribly and I assume PD is much worse. But I agree with those who say it's apples & oranges.

Retroarch is an all in one emulator for Android and pc, and vimms lair(a website) has every N64, Nintendo genesis, Saturn, etc.. game released in America! Including perfect dark. And it is 100% safe. I go there for every retro game imaginable (in America at least) on retroarch you need to download cores(you don't have to leave retroarch) not all may work but at least one will. It can be a little complicated but in the end it is worth it

3 minutes ago, Deathclaw886 said:

Retroarch is an all in one emulator for Android and pc, and vimms lair(a website) has every N64, Nintendo genesis, Saturn, etc.. game released in America! Including perfect dark. And it is 100% safe. I go there for every retro game imaginable (in America at least)

Not to be that kind of guy, but I think you (and everybody else) should be careful mentioning *insert any website providing commercial ROMs* here. Because, y'know, piracy-related law.

Just now, InDOOMnesia said:

Not to be that kind of guy, but I think you (and everybody else) should be careful mentioning *insert any website providing commercial ROMs* here. Because, y'know, piracy-related law.

I didn't think it was pirated, I should look in to that

(the website says this) In the legal sense, all emulation is piracy. The law isn't always black and white though, and what you're describing is the spirit of the law. Take speeding for example. Speed laws are designed to keep roads safe, so if I drive by a cop who clocks me going 60 in a 55 zone I'll get pulled over, right? Of course not. I'm driving safely and following the spirit of the law, why waste his time? Clock me at 100 though and he'll throw the book at me.

The same is true for emulation. Copyright laws exist to protect developers from piracy so downloading a Switch or PS4 game is clearly wrong. But as those games age the line blurs. Is it really "piracy" to download a Ninja Turtles game that hasn't sold in years? Nintendo unfortunately has to follow the letter of the law, so they can't sell any virtual game without permission. That's why if Konami changes their mind Ninja Turtles gets pulled from the store. It's also why most virtual store games are Nintendo published. But there's unscrupulous sites out there that don't fret the letter of the law, and as long as we drive safely the cops won't bother.     (Not sure if this changes the rules)

Why do some people prefer Doom over Super Mario World? Super Mario World:

• has 4x as many levels
  • has more different and varied enemies
  • Mario can actually jump over enemies
  • Mario can carry things around
  • has room over room
  • more varied worlds/episodes
  • the bosses are way better
  • has a dinosaur to ride on and eat stuff

17 minutes ago, boris said:

Why do some people prefer Doom over Super Mario World?

You jest, but given the relatively high degree of modding there's been for SMW, I almost think this is a more apt comparison.

Just now, boris said:

Why do some people prefer Doom over Super Mario World? Super Mario World:

• has 4x as many levels
  • has more different and varied enemies
  • Mario can actually jump over enemies
  • Mario can carry things around
  • has room over room
  • more varied worlds/episodes
  • the bosses are way better
  • has a dinosaur to ride on and eat stuff

Really?, Mario is cool and everything but, doom is action packed, blood splattering has plenty of mods, and is the KING of fps shooters, and was made in Texas 

30 minutes ago, Deathclaw886 said:

Really?, Mario is cool and everything but, doom is action packed, blood splattering has plenty of mods, and is the KING of fps shooters, and was made in Texas 

Boris was being sarcastic. The lesson is that we cannot compare apples to oranges.

I still have my PD cartridge from back in the day but I could never get into the game back then as I was devoted to Goldeneye 007 and by the time I had finished with that I moved onto PC gaming. I did however download the PD remaster demo from XBL just recently and I enjoyed it so I'm going to get the full game soon.

Timesplitters 2 on GameCube really reminded me of both Goldeneye 007 & Perfect Dark, and that makes sense as some of the people who worked on TS also worked on Goldeneye 007 and PD.