Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SiFi270

Confused about the numbering for the Mortal Kombat series.

I don't know what got me thinking about this, I'm not even that big into the series, but now that I am I can't stop. The reboot of the series was unofficially dubbed MK9 to distinguish it from the first, and the next two games went back to actual numbering with this in mind. The first four also have a clear place, but it's what's in between that has me confused.

There were only three non-spinoff games between 4 and the reboot, right? Deadly Alliance, Deception, and Armageddon. They should be 5, 6 and 7 as far as I can tell, but then the reboot would have to be 8. So what am I missing? Is it Shaolin Monks, which is not only a departure from the standard fighting game formula but a loose retelling of existing games as opposed to an addition? Is it vs. DC? Mythologies? Trilogy?

If you suggest it's Special Forces then I have one word for you: Predictable.

All the one-on-one Mortal Kombat fighters are official numbers, even if they have no official number. It's interesting MK vs DC is forgotten considering the other games of the era live on with modern systems. Plus, the MK team ended up being owned by Warner Bros who own the DC universe. The engine is even the same used for modern games, but going from Unreal 3 to Unreal 4.

At some point Deadly Alliance was MKV. Someone may have realized that these are all stand alone games and calling it 5 might lead people to think well... if I haven't played the first 4 why would I play the 5th?

Mortal Kombat loves retelling those first two games over and over. Shaolin Monks was an enjoyable game, even if at the time people found it mediocre, because there were better games in the same genre. There were talks of a sequel that never got past the concept art stage.

For any outsider looking in:

Mortal Kombat

Mortal Kombat 2

Mortal Kombat 3 (Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3, Ultimate Mortal Kombat Trilogy)

Mortal Kombat 4

Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance (5)

Mortal Kombat: Deception (6)

Mortal Kombat: Armageddon (7)

Mortal Kombat: MK vs DC (8)

Mortal Kombat (9)

Mortal Kombat X (10)

The Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 came out because Midway screwed over arcade machine owners by porting Mortal Kombat 3 too quickly to consoles. Then again, the arcades were dwindling shortly thereafter around the MK 4 / Saturn era. Now arcades seem like big experiences no one can have in their house like a standard arcade cabinet.

4 hours ago, geo said:

All the one-on-one Mortal Kombat fighters are official numbers, even if they have no official number. It's interesting MK vs DC is forgotten considering the other games of the era live on with modern systems. Plus, the MK team ended up being owned by Warner Bros who own the DC universe. The engine is even the same used for modern games, but going from Unreal 3 to Unreal 4.

Netherrealm is still using an iteration of UE3 for their games AFAIK.

MKvDC is very much this kind of weird prototype of the modern MK where several things were firmly established that carried over directly to the reboot. Most of the MK cast's visual designs/models look more or less identical to how they were in MK9. The voice acting is also fun to look back at now. Catwoman is voiced by frickin Sylvanas from WoW.

Speaking of confusing game numbers and the Unreal Engine, what about the fourth Unreal Tournament being called Unreal Tournament 3?

8 hours ago, Empyre said:

Speaking of confusing game numbers and the Unreal Engine, what about the fourth Unreal Tournament being called Unreal Tournament 3?

The intent seems to have been to lump 2003 and 2004 as the same entry with updates. See how GOG and Steam have 2004 but not 2003.

13 hours ago, lazygecko said:

Netherrealm is still using an iteration of UE3 for their games AFAIK.

MKvDC is very much this kind of weird prototype of the modern MK where several things were firmly established that carried over directly to the reboot. Most of the MK cast's visual designs/models look more or less identical to how they were in MK9. The voice acting is also fun to look back at now. Catwoman is voiced by frickin Sylvanas from WoW.

Yeah I think you're right about them still using Unreal 3. I can't seem to find evidence of Unreal 4. Unreal 4 does require considerably higher minimum specs, plus I can imagine it's cheaper to keep using your own heavily modified engine than jumping to the new one. It has to be one of the best looking Unreal 3 engine games. Doesn't seem like there's any texture pop in which was quite common with that engine.

16 hours ago, Empyre said:

Shh. Epic would like you to forget about 2003. 2004 "un-existed" it. Which is for the better, since 2k3 felt half-baked anyway, and 2k4 included (almost) all of its content anyway. 

Then again, UT3 was also originally called UT2007 during its earlier stages.

If you had either game, you could not connect to the other game's servers.  They were not compatible, and therefore not the same game.  I am glad I didn't spend money on UT2003, but I am also glad I did buy UT 2004.  I have had a lot of fun with it, and I still host a server for it.

Like all my servers, it is called Empyre's Little Server.   It has VTCF maps, my favorite game mode, although you can vote in other game modes.

3 hours ago, Empyre said:

If you had either game, you could not connect to the other game's servers.  They were not compatible, and therefore not the same game.  I am glad I didn't spend money on UT2003, but I am also glad I did buy UT 2004.  I have had a lot of fun with it, and I still host a server for it.

Like all my servers, it is called Empyre's Little Server.   It has VTCF maps, my favorite game mode, although you can vote in other game modes.

I played thousands of hours of it, but frankly, the weapon balance is poop. I played with some pretty good players back in the day (alongside guys who'd hold high positions on Clanbase rankings and whatnot), and while VCTF is definitely fun, the combat always felt like you ruled everything if you had good aim, a shock rifle, and a lightning gun.

Hell, we have all sorts of quotes from back in the day still up on an old quotebot.