Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Man of Doom

New Doom Eternal Footage on Google Stadia

This looks amazing, my thoughts exactly about the BFG10000 tearing apart Mars, now this is the kind of mission design I love to see.. I wonder if there was more actually revealed? More than likely, there had to have been other parts seeing how it abruptly just cut ;)

2 minutes ago, ArchangelOfHell said:

This looks amazing, my thoughts exactly about the BFG10000 tearing apart Mars, now this is the kind of mission design I love to see.. I wonder if there was more actually revealed? More than likely, there had to have been other parts seeing how it abruptly just cut ;)

Here's hoping for some type of official high quality release, but it's unlikely.

E3 is only a few months away, but it feels like forever.

1 hour ago, ArchangelOfHell said:

This looks amazing, my thoughts exactly about the BFG10000 tearing apart Mars, now this is the kind of mission design I love to see..

This seems to be what everyone is thinking, but I see it also being possible that the base the player is moving across is simply being torn apart and sucked into a hell vortex of some sort, similar to the black hole in the sky that's visible in the earth level they showed at Quakecon. Then again, the green particle effects swirling in the hole, coupled with the burning chunks of metal really does scream 'BFG', so I dunno.

On a different note... I mentioned this in the other thread, but the Cacos can evidently spit much at a much higher rate than they could before. I wonder if they're going to be upping the firing capabilities of other enemy types as well.

6 hours ago, Caffeine Freak said:

On a different note... I mentioned this in the other thread, but the Cacos can evidently spit much at a much higher rate than they could before. I wonder if they're going to be upping the firing capabilities of other enemy types as well.

I liked that, the Caco should more than just a flying variation of the Imp. I see it becoming a flying suppressor unit, which the game desperately needs because the Mancubus and Arachnotrons no longer seem to fire in volleys.

EDIT:

Actually, the Arachnotron does seem to fire in volley. In the last video they only fired a couple of projectiles and some kind of bomb. Maybe they have different attacks based on where you are. 

10 hours ago, ArchangelOfHell said:

This looks amazing, my thoughts exactly about the BFG10000 tearing apart Mars, now this is the kind of mission design I love to see..

As cool as a "BFG Death Star" would be, there's just one problem with that scenario... the footage from Quakecon actually shows the BFG aiming -away- from Mars (which is visible on the horizon). My guess about the level we saw recently from GDC is that it's another segment of Hell. But..still early, so I might end up eating my words after all!

5 hours ago, DooM_RO said:

Actually, the Arachnotron does seem to fire in volley. In the last video they only fired a couple of projectiles and some kind of bomb. Maybe they have different attacks based on where you are. 

I think so, yes. The Quakecon footage showed the Arach alternating between lobbed projectiles that stuck to surfaces before bursting, and it's traditional straight, rapid fire. That seems to be the case here as well.

3 hours ago, Taurus Daggerknight said:

As cool as a "BFG Death Star" would be, there's just one problem with that scenario... the footage from Quakecon actually shows the BFG aiming -away- from Mars (which is visible on the horizon). My guess about the level we saw recently from GDC is that it's another segment of Hell. But..still early, so I might end up eating my words after all!

Actually, the entire base of the BFG 10k can turn with no problem, as evidenced by the Phobos demo, right before it fires for the first time. At some point between that demo and the new level we saw, it probably gets turned on Mars for some reason (likely another massive Hell portal), probably by the Slayer.

They released the full GDC Developer’s Conference livestream that included the new Doom Eternal gameplay.

(Head to 40:33 for the gameplay)

Confirmed that the Strogg-type enemy towards the end is simply called 'Carcass'. Gotta watch this whole thing later, can't wait. Their Siggraph talks have all been great and packed with detailed tech info, this looks to be as well.

Also weird that 1080 isn't available for this video.

3 hours ago, Caffeine Freak said:

@Man of Doom This video is unlisted. How did you find it?

Someone on r/Doom must’ve gotten lucky since I found it there. I actually had no idea that it was unlisted, and knowing that now makes the whole thing kind of… confusing. 

Maybe it was initially public before they unlisted it.

I think the Strogg-type enemy may actually be the remnants of the Arachnotron the player just destroyed. Watch closely at 42:11-12, right after the player has killed the Arach and activates his extra life. The screen is dark and blinks, but you briefly catch a glimpse of something sort of scurrying away from the remains of the Arach, or so it seems to me. The player moves forward to deal with another enemy, turns around, and the Strogg-type enemy is waiting. The enemy is quadrupedal, has metallic legs and a deformed body, so maybe it's some sort of inner creature that was controlling the Arach. From that perspective, it even makes sense that it's simply called 'carcass'.

3 hours ago, Caffeine Freak said:

I think the Strogg-type enemy may actually be the remnants of the Arachnotron the player just destroyed. Watch closely at 42:11-12, right after the player has killed the Arach and activates his extra life. The screen is dark and blinks, but you briefly catch a glimpse of something sort of scurrying away from the remains of the Arach, or so it seems to me. The player moves forward to deal with another enemy, turns around, and the Strogg-type enemy is waiting. The enemy is quadrupedal, has metallic legs and a deformed body, so maybe it's some sort of inner creature that was controlling the Arach. From that perspective, it even makes sense that it's simply called 'carcass'.

Interesting hypothesis, but it would seem strange to give a basic enemy like the Arach what is essentially a second health bar. It might get annoying after a while to be be forced to kill the same enemy twice before they’re truly dead.

Also—I like the Slayer’s grunts a lot better now that I can hear them in higher quality. I could totally get used to those!

16 minutes ago, Ramiel said:

Interesting hypothesis, but it would seem strange to give a basic enemy like the Arach what is essentially a second health bar. It might get annoying after a while to be be forced to kill the same enemy twice before they’re truly dead.

Well, there's nothing that says the player would have to fight the Carcass *every* time he kills the Arach. I just think it's a hypothesis that's strongly supported by the footage, especially when you look at how similar the leg animations are for the two enemies, coupled with the observations I already made.

If Caffeine Freak's theory is true I wouldn't be surprised if it's a chance thing similar to head crabs popping off zombies in half life 2.

Perhaps a glory kill will ensure they stay dead.

1 hour ago, Space Marinara said:

Or considering a 1UP was just used, maybe you have to kill your (now zombified) former self...

I don't see this as being at all likely, but it's a genuinely fascinating idea. 

14 minutes ago, Caffeine Freak said:

I don't see this as being at all likely

Yeah me either really. But id Software, if you're reading this:

Ron.jpg.11d2f089921492d8acd448d507297067.jpg

Not really on board with the idea of the strogg-demon thing being either an Arachnotron or Slayer post-death, simply because its design looks like neither. Why would the arachnotron suddenly grow a torso and arms, let alone a human sized and shaped head? 

39:54 maybe first ever look at Id Studio. ID!!! I want to get my grubby mitts on it already!! Let me make maps for your games! Please!

17 hours ago, Caffeine Freak said:

If you watch closely the Carcass actually spawns near the Pain Elemental door at about 41:54.  thank god

The Carcass looks more like a mix of the Mancubus and Arachnotron.

An enemy with some ability related to its death state or dying kind of reminds me of the zombies from Blood (comes back after "dying") and Quake (can only be killed with certain weapons)

I also wonder if it's possibly for there to be a monster that can reflect projectiles (as in, back to the player) but can still be hurt with hitscan/"quick ranged" weapons.

3 hours ago, Zemini said:

If you watch closely the Carcass actually spawns near the Pain Elemental door at about 41:54.  thank god

Yeah you're right. Never mind that theory.

I'm happy to see that they've kept (and even increased!) the green lights that tell you where to go next. I'd hate to have to think about that and, what's worse, explore the map.

On 5/14/2019 at 12:23 AM, Caffeine Freak said:

Well, there's nothing that says the player would have to fight the Carcass *every* time he kills the Arach. I just think it's a hypothesis that's strongly supported by the footage, especially when you look at how similar the leg animations are for the two enemies, coupled with the observations I already made.

It looks like he was running towards the arachnotron body. Maybe he is an enemy who can appropriate any demonic tech, meaning he would be able to get cannon arms finding a mancubus corpse, or a jetpack finding a revenant, etc.

Just a dumb theory that is probably wrong, but It would do justice to the name "Carcass" - as an incomplete body who needs mechanical support to survive.

That would be cool. I have my doubts but that would be a fun monster.

Literally the only thing I don't like is that new cyborg/demon/tank thing. It doesn't fit at all in the Doom universe and frankly looks goofy as fuck. The hell guards in Doom '16 looked a bit too "World of Warcraft," so I guess this is continuing the trend of inserting at least one completely out-of-place enemy. It's not like a deal breaker or anything, but I have something of a "Excuse me, how is this a good design?" reaction to it.

Out of curiosity, I decided to analyze the footage to see if I could find a good shot of the lone "Soldier Shield" enemy that briefly appeared.

UshuFhd.png

A bit of a blurry, out of focus frame, but they now seem to have a distinct appearance based on the classic shotgun guys, considering the armor's coloration and the bald head.

I think it's interesting that they're going back to the classic, more humanoid zombie soldier appearance that was used all the way up through Doom 3 but abandoned in Doom 2016. They're obviously keeping the skeletal-looking form of the basic possessed they used in the last game, so it's a bit odd that they went the classic route with the possessed soldiers. Not that it's an unwelcome change, I actually prefer that over the look of the possessed soldiers in Doom 2016. I wonder if their tactics have evolved with this game, though. It'd be nice to seem them use the cover/fire attack nodes that the Z-secs used in Doom 3.  

I second the vote for going back to classic zombies over the 2016 stuff. Possessed troops in D2016 were cool and all, but really did seem way more like Strogg than what Doom's roster classically delivers. Likewise, I'm  a fan of how the demons look more, well, demonic this time around. Doom 3 and some of 2016's more alien stuff was neat and all, but again, I feel like this distinguishes itself from Quake 2 more. 

Here's a big question... will we see the return of a pistol, or are we still on a blaster that no one will ever use outside of the multiplayer variant?