Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jaws In Space

Switcheroom 2 (Now on IDGAMES!!!!!)

The thought of MAP11 city style makes my mouth water/mouse click finger twitch with delight. I wasn’t necessarily looking for new projects, but how can you resist the map so nice they named it twice??

On the phone so I can’t look at the current build wad—is this all IWAD textures as well?

Just now, Big Ol Billy said:

The thought of MAP11 city style makes my mouth water/mouse click finger twitch with delight. I wasn’t necessarily looking for new projects, but how can you resist the map so nice they named it twice??

On the phone so I can’t look at the current build wad—is this all IWAD textures as well?

Yes this is only using IWAD textures.

10 minutes ago, DukeOfDoom said:

I'd like to take Map10 slot with Map29 base structure.

Maps will be ordered based on difficulty & other factors. I'll mark you down as making map 29 for the starport episode.

9 minutes ago, Noiser said:

I think I can try Map 8 in hell style. What's the time limit? 

Okay I'll mark you down for that. There's a lot of work to be done, but I feel confident that all maps can be finished by August.

>Posted 4 hours ago
>5 slots open

This looks cool and i might join but i'm not sure right now :)

Will risk and try to make Map04 in Hell Style

Also looks like map names currently is broken,because...

Screenshot_2019-03-21-11-19-08-903_com.opentouchgaming.deltatouch.png

1 hour ago, D1m3 said:

Will risk and try to make Map04 in Hell Style

Also looks like map names currently is broken,because...

Sure, I'll mark you down for that.

Yeah the dehacked is in a rough state right now, I'll deal with that once we get closer to having all the maps done.

Just now, Сhaingunner said:

I'll take map18 in hell style

Sorry to say, but that episode just filled up, Map 18 is only available for the starport episode now.

3 minutes ago, Jaws In Space said:

Sorry to say, but that episode just filled up, Map 18 is only available for the starport episode now.

Well, i take map18 in map11 style then

I'm interested in Map 26. I'd prefer the Starport episode, but if has to go in the City episode, I'm OK with that.

What is the timeframe you're looking at for maps to be submitted?

2 hours ago, Pegleg said:

I'm interested in Map 26. I'd prefer the Starport episode, but if has to go in the City episode, I'm OK with that.

What is the timeframe you're looking at for maps to be submitted?

Yes it has to be made for the city episode.

I would like all of the new maps submitted by August.

18 hours ago, Jaws In Space said:

Yes it has to be made for the city episode.

I would like all of the new maps submitted by August.

Map 26 in City style it is.

Two other questions:

1. Stock textures only?

2. Does the requirement of vanilla compatibility for this project extend to save game size and the length of map names?

1 minute ago, Pegleg said:

Map 26 in City style it is.

Two other questions:

1. Stock textures only?

2. Does the requirement of vanilla compatibility for this project extend to save game size and the length of map names?

1. Yes

2. No

Okay guys I spent the week playtest all of the maps for the starport episode, I'll continue this trend & hopefully have the city episode reviewed before next weekend. If you have a map is this episode feel free to pick a custom midi, also a few maps here need names.

Map 30 in base style by @AD_79
Good map here, it perfectly transforms the Icon of Sin into a fun short techbase. An aspect of the map that I think could be improved is to give out a few supplies a little bit earlier. The start consists of plinking away at quite a few zombiemen with just a pistol, a green armor would have made me more confident to rush to find a better weapon, or a shotgun at the start of the map would have made the gameplay more fast paced & enjoyable. It turn the lack of a green armor left me low on health when facing the Revanat at the top of the lifts, which lead to a couple deaths from me. One part of the map that seemed broken to me was the access to the secret RL, I simply could not reach the lift in time & had to use one of the shotgun guys as a block to keep the lift down. This is a bit annoying because it means you first have to press the switch for the lift, aggro shotgun guys, go back & press the switch again & hope that you can get one of them to block the lift. Feel free to pick a midi for this map & give it a name as well.

Nirvantlet by @Cell

This is another fun map, but it's the first of the maps to have a problem with homages, in this case taking elements of Doom 2 map 3 The Gantlet. Now the thing with this map is the homages are pretty much texture similarities only, so this shouldn't be too difficult to fix. First things first this map needs a name change so that people aren't looking for homages to The Gantlet. Next I'll just point out the problem areas as not everything here is bad. A big step in the right direction would be to change all of the door textures to BIGDOOR2. The yellow key room & the exit room in particular are the worst offenders here, I would honestly just cut the exit room entirely & have the teleporter behind the blue bars be the exit. The Yellow key room just needs a new paint job as it looks way to similar to the exit area of The Gantlet. Also there's something about the Soul Sphere secret that just made me think "oh this is just The Gantlet" so I think that secret needs to be changed up a little bit. Lastly the RL is completely useless in this map, I never even used it once, I would just remove it from the map along with all of the rocket ammo.

Low Power by @Magnusblitz

Another very enjoyable map, but like with Cells map this one has quite a few homages, this time to The Focus. An easy fix for this map imo would be to replace all the TEKGREEN & it's variants with METAL2 & it's variants, that would take care of the texturing problem. The northwest corner of this map needs to be reworked, this is a direct ripoff of The Focus that needs to be removed. Lastly I'm considering swapping this map with cells map. Pros: gets 2 magnusblitz maps away from each other & you don't get Nirvana followed by Catacombs. Cons: Nirvantlet would be back in the map 3 spot & subject to comparison to The Gantlet. Any thoughts?

Coolant Zone by Magnusblitz

Ah yes this map feels much better out of the map 2 spot, nothing quite as jarring as going from a 1 minute endeavor to a giant behemoth. A minor note about the start, the armor comes pretty late if you go down the right hallway from the start room towards the Caco & hell knight combo. Also I ended up using the single shotgun for quite a long time in the beginning of this map, I would suggest putting a chaingunner on the ground somewhere. I found access to the RL & backpack secrets to be a bit obscure, I did look around that room a bit but I didn't find the switch until I opened up the map editor & looked for it. There is a texture misalignment in the nukage around the spiral staircase. My biggest gripe about this map is the lift system around the central yellow key structure. I ended up traversing them quite a lot & it got very tiresome waiting for them. I see that you don't have enough visplanes to add steps there, so I would suggest either lowering everything so that there are no lifts, or just a lift to the the red door only. Or just make traversing that area done with teleporters.

Map 19 in base style by @Walter confetti
Honestly this map just needs a a major reworking, it's my least favorite of the starport maps. I do like a few concepts here, such as only needing one key to exit & getting access to the teleporter room right at the start. I don't like that you can't circle around the entire map though. Many of the things that I don't like here steam from bad design choices in The Citadel itself, the further you get from that map, the better this one will be.

Map 27 in base style by @Fernito

Fernito has been gone for about 2 years now so I'll end up making any changes to this map myself, here's a quick list of what I might do.
-change Circle of Death texturing
    -Shotgun Pit
    -Blue Key Room
    -BFG Secret
-Change how Light Amp secret is  activated or just remove it
-flip activation line for chainsaw monster closet
-flip activation line near red key

Starport by @Megalyth

A great map here, only a few minor nitpicks here. The Soul Sphere secret doesn't have a candle in front of it like the Berserk & Blue Armor do. Personally I would like to see more bullets & less shells scattered around the map. I had a huge excess of shells upon exit, but wanted bullets for a few encounters when I had none. The RL secret was a bit obscure imo.

The Facility by @traversd

This map is the highlight of the starport episode. I do have a few complaints though. I would really like to see the RL given out at the start of the map, you can keep ammo down, but that imp horde at the start was pretty much begging to be gibbed. Also I'd like to see a chaingunner or two wandering around with the arachnotrons, an earlier chaingun would do wonders for this map. Lastly the true flaw with this otherwise perfect map is the exit room, the difficulty skyrockets here & I couldn't beat it, I suppose you are supposed to save cell ammo for this encounter, but I sure didn't so beating this room became impossible for me.

Well, this concept certainly got the inspiration flowing. Here's a first crack at MAP11 city-style, I'm calling it Entrepreneurial Hub: https://www.dropbox.com/s/wkfa90p15inbe5j/bob_entrepreneurial_hub_v1.wad?dl=1 (plays MAP15 for sky)

No difficulty settings yet, also some tutti-frutti in Chocolate that I'll work on once I refresh myself on how that works (visplanes, etc. should be ok). Also need to hunt down a music track. But I figured I should post it sooner rather than later to get feedback (especially from Jaws).

That MAP01 secret has always worked for me, heh. Never had to get anything to block it, a little SR40 is all that is required. I can do a bit of gameplay work on it at some point soon but it's not meant to be much, just a very classic opening map, taking hints from Entryway and whatnot. A lack of armour never bothered me personally but some speeding up of the gameplay might benefit it, I'll see.

I'll re-upload at some point with some changes, a name, and an original MIDI.

18 hours ago, Big Ol Billy said:

Well, this concept certainly got the inspiration flowing. Here's a first crack at MAP11 city-style, I'm calling it Entrepreneurial Hub: https://www.dropbox.com/s/wkfa90p15inbe5j/bob_entrepreneurial_hub_v1.wad?dl=1 (plays MAP15 for sky)

No difficulty settings yet, also some tutti-frutti in Chocolate that I'll work on once I refresh myself on how that works (visplanes, etc. should be ok). Also need to hunt down a music track. But I figured I should post it sooner rather than later to get feedback (especially from Jaws).

Okay so I played the map just now, it's pretty decent, but I've got to address the elephant in the living room. This map is going to get pretty negative feedback for changing up the flow of the original map. An_Mutt had submitted a version of Map12 in base style that also changed up the starting position & flow which was universally rejected by everyone who played it. Secondly I wasn't really getting a city vibe from this map, there's plenty of usage of city like textures. There are a few distinct sections of this map that could be altered to make them feel like separate buildings from one another, perhaps with alleyways or by even allowing the player to encircle them entirely.

dPbMOvT.png

Lastly this map was a big ol bastard, I think that the difficulty could be toned down a bit. Every inch of progression I made in this map came with a new encounter & I wasn't only given enough in terms of supply's to barely scrape by. Nasty monster placement like this can be fine, just make sure that the player can go in guns blazing. Don't kill the player for playing you map, let the player die due to their own mistakes.

2 hours ago, Jaws In Space said:

Great, Jaws, thanks for the feedback. I like the idea of adding alleys and trying to “citify” more. My original concept was to think of it as a D2-style abstraction of a business park, hence some of the greenness and unbroken lines of buildings, but given the concept of the project it makes sense to try to make it feel a little more (Doom2-y) urban.

The elephant in the room is a little unexpected, though I appreciate your frankness. The last time I checked in on the old Switcheroom2 thread, I remember seeing people complaining that mappers were only reskinning and not changing up the progression, so I had assumed that switching up the flow so was not only allowed but encouraged. (I peeked around at the alpha and saw some apparently confirming examples, like the Gotcha remake that starts you in the secret area behind the player start.) If this is a real problem I might want to just redo the map—as I see, the whole hook for this reimagining is the reconfigured progression and doing things like making the slime you’re supposed to avoid in the original the main play area so that you see the original spatial relations from a very different angle. Of course, I don’t want to interfere with your vision for the spirit and unity of the project—and fortunately there’s plenty of time before the deadline. That said, the progression requirement might be a useful thing to clarify for other mappers (assuming I didn’t just miss something obvious).

Edited by Big Ol Billy

1 hour ago, Big Ol Billy said:

If this is a real problem I might want to just redo the map—as I see, the whole hook for this reimagining is the reconfigured progression and doing things like making the slime you’re supposed to avoid in the original the main play area so that you see the original spatial relations from a very different angle. Of course, I don’t want to interfere with your vision for the spirit and unity of the project—and fortunately there’s plenty of time before the deadline. That said, the progression requirement might be a useful thing to clarify for other mappers (assuming I didn’t just miss something obvious).

It's a tough call to make. On one hand it would be pretty much the only map with a changed starting position & it won't appear until about halfway through the set making for a somewhat jarring experience. On the other hand I personally don't have a problem with the new starting position & there's no guarantee that people won't like it.

If anyone else has opinions on Big Ol Billy's map they would be much appreciated.

On 3/23/2019 at 5:43 AM, Jaws In Space said:

Low Power by @Magnusblitz

Another very enjoyable map, but like with Cells map this one has quite a few homages, this time to The Focus. An easy fix for this map imo would be to replace all the TEKGREEN & it's variants with METAL2 & it's variants, that would take care of the texturing problem. The northwest corner of this map needs to be reworked, this is a direct ripoff of The Focus that needs to be removed. Lastly I'm considering swapping this map with cells map. Pros: gets 2 magnusblitz maps away from each other & you don't get Nirvana followed by Catacombs. Cons: Nirvantlet would be back in the map 3 spot & subject to comparison to The Gantlet. Any thoughts?

Coolant Zone by Magnusblitz

Ah yes this map feels much better out of the map 2 spot, nothing quite as jarring as going from a 1 minute endeavor to a giant behemoth. A minor note about the start, the armor comes pretty late if you go down the right hallway from the start room towards the Caco & hell knight combo. Also I ended up using the single shotgun for quite a long time in the beginning of this map, I would suggest putting a chaingunner on the ground somewhere. I found access to the RL & backpack secrets to be a bit obscure, I did look around that room a bit but I didn't find the switch until I opened up the map editor & looked for it. There is a texture misalignment in the nukage around the spiral staircase. My biggest gripe about this map is the lift system around the central yellow key structure. I ended up traversing them quite a lot & it got very tiresome waiting for them. I see that you don't have enough visplanes to add steps there, so I would suggest either lowering everything so that there are no lifts, or just a lift to the the red door only. Or just make traversing that area done with teleporters.

Low Power (MAP22) definitely has a bad case of 'original map slathered with new textures' so I've kinda been thinking about just remaking a new map.

As for the other map, I definitely wouldn't want to re-do it as it was a beast to get done, especially getting under visplane limits in the outdoors half. I'll take a look soon at the issues mentioned.

I'm entirely fine with moving both/either maps around slot-wise.

~~~~

I kinda liked the idea of changing around the progression for the maps, but at the same time agree that most of the maps didn't do that, so I understand that it could feel odd if it's the only one to do so.