Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jaws In Space

Switcheroom 2 (Now on IDGAMES!!!!!)

@Jaws In Space I started a new job with a difficult schedule, and I probably won't have time for any mapping in the foreseeable future. If you want to, you can do any tweaks that you think my maps need.

Alright, here we go! https://www.dropbox.com/s/h44o9vcpw50mh9g/NoiserMAP.rar?dl=1

This is a huge update, I'm very happy despite the time it took. Sorry for making you wait @Jaws In Space
I'm not sure if I will be able to remember everything I changed, but here's some stuff:

Spoiler
  • - Improved the overall balance, making it a bit better for both continuous and pistol starts (pistol start is still the main focus)
  • - Locked the Revenant room as intended so you can't escape without fighting them (now it uses a switch to activate the elevator)
  • - I made some clues more understandable and improved the sense of direction when you finish a challenge
  • - Improved the flow on the teleporting baron challange: Now the Super Shotgun is visible from the start, making the main gimmicky more relevant than before. Combat is also more exciting as you may have to go the center of the arena with the Baron to get the SSG
  • - Improved the teleporting routine on the teleporting baron challenge. Now baron and cacodemons will teleport in a more interesting pattern
  • - I improved the final combat with cacodemons (again on the teleporting baron challange) to make it less boring
  • -  Changed the combat flow on the pain elemental challenge, to give more importance to the main gimmick of the room. I also improved the visibility of some textures to make everything easier to understand
  • - Made the final combat more engaging, with more cacodemons and enemies on the exit chamber
  • - Fixed A LOT of bugs and missalignments
  • - Fixed the softlock crushers on the Pain Elemental challenge - they will not stop anymore
  • - Fixed some rare occurances of VPOs
  • - Fixed tutti-fruttis I didn't saw before
  • - Fixed some instances where you can't get 100% kills
  • - Fixed a rare instance that could soft-lock the player on the Mastermind challenge
  • - Removed some unnecessary linedef-activated sounds that may confuse the player
  • - Reduced the amount of cells, so players cannot abuse BFGs shots on continuous runs
  • - Improved the final corridor traps on the specter challange 
  • - Fixed some switches not working smoothly on vanilla
  • - More minor tweaks and probably other stuff I forgot 

I will be playing here just in case I find a last minute bug, but I think everything is fine

On 9/4/2020 at 4:22 PM, Caleb13 said:

MAP29: I became stuck in the spectre trap area (sector 293 etc). I used the chaingunner/vile teleporter (linedef 5979) and dropped back into the trap area, but I couldn't find any way out. Probably the easiest fix is to make linedef 1914 as SR.

That passage is closed on purpose to not cause VPOs. If you want to go back you can use the teleporter (the 1776 switch activates an elevator to go back). I fixed all the other issues, thanks a lot for your input.

Edited by Noiser

Alright cool, I'm still very slowly going through the maps one final time. At this time I'm looking to have a final release in late December.

I like how this turned out, shame I didn't finish my work properly.

Just curious, will there eventually be the Final Switcheroom project?

Is there anyone who can make a Zmapinfo for the Switcheroom 2 bonus maps? There were 23 maps rejected during the development of this project & I want to release them in a single wad alongside the main project.

On 11/26/2020 at 2:25 PM, DukeOfDoom said:

I like how this turned out, shame I didn't finish my work properly.

Just curious, will there eventually be the Final Switcheroom project?

I don't want anything to do with Switcheroom for the rest of my life. As far as letting someone else run the show, Scifista42 burned that bridge. I can't stop someone from doing the switching map concept, but this will be the last project to feature the Switcheroom name.

22 minutes ago, Jaws In Space said:

Is there anyone who can make a Zmapinfo for the Switcheroom 2 bonus maps? There were 23 maps rejected during the development of this project & I want to release them in a single wad alongside the main project.

I don't want anything to do with Switcheroom for the rest of my life. As far as letting someone else run the show, Scifista42 burned that bridge. I can't stop someone from doing the switching map concept, but this will be the last project to feature the Switcheroom name.

Oh, okay then. Didn't mean to insult you.

Does anyone know how to fix projectiles passing through walls in vanilla? It's a really huge section of walls & it's seemingly random where projectiles can pass through & where they can't.

Here's the map I'm having problems with.

Map 13

Here's where things are being weird.

9xOAe4A.png

10 hours ago, Noiser said:

that's weird, I never saw this issue happening before

I was able to fix it by creating another sector and making it thick enough to be far from the big sector that is causing the problem.
I'm not sure if it's what you wanted, but have a look: https://www.dropbox.com/s/dwcyjaerpwyaz62/AAAb.wad?dl=1

If it works then it's good enough for me. I knew you had to do something with a second sector, I tried a few things but I couldn't figure it out. Thanks for making this.

42 minutes ago, Keyboard_Doomer said:

Seems to be a manifestation of this bug.

Yup this seems to be the bug. I had to double check because I thought that the skies were the same height, but somehow my sky ended up one unit lower than the other so yeah this is the cause of it then.

Okay there's a bug on map 32 I have a question about. In chocolate the cyberdemon in the exit wold randomly appear & disappear, it didn't matter where in the room I was standing. Is this just the sprite limit bug, or is it something else?

38 minutes ago, Jaws In Space said:

Is this just the sprite limit bug

Yes, at first it seemed odd to me that the game would prefer to remove sprites from on specific location on the map. Though after a couple of tests and removing a fair chunk of nazis he remained visible. There are simply too many enemies for such a rather open layout.

D'oh, plus they drop clips.

Sprite reducing suggestions are replace some sets of 9 SS with 2-3 Revs or 1 AV? Also an earlier version of the map had the final cyber teleport from the exit room platform to the general play area which may reduce the change of it specifically disappearing whilst being in that single location?

(sorry!)

Okay everyone we are nearly done here. Below is a link with the latest beta for the project, it includes everyone most recent updates, plus a lot of small bug fixes all over the project, mostly related to issues in vanilla.

Switcheroom 2 Beta V0.4

Things that are left to do in the main wad:

-Map 08 has some Drawseg overflows.

-Map 32 has the sprite limit bug

-Replace story text (I'm currently coming up with something)

-Replace the demos. If anyone wants to record a few demos for the main screen feel free, just be sure to not record them on a map with Revenants.

Things that are left to do in The Forgotten Maps:

-I did my best with the zmapinfo, but I can't seem to get the story texts to appear where I need them to. Can anyone help me out here? I need them after maps 2, 7, 14, & also before entering the secret map

-I need help identifying the midis on maps 11 & 17. @cannonball 17 is your old map.

I'll be uploading this onto the archive on the 31st, if anyone spots any bugs in here before then be sure to let me know asap.

On 12/22/2020 at 5:05 AM, traversd said:

D'oh, plus they drop clips.

Sprite reducing suggestions are replace some sets of 9 SS with 2-3 Revs or 1 AV? Also an earlier version of the map had the final cyber teleport from the exit room platform to the general play area which may reduce the change of it specifically disappearing whilst being in that single location?

(sorry!)

Another big problem is that the 4 Arch-Viles that teleport in while roaming the secret sectors really shoot the sprite count through the roof.

21 hours ago, Jaws In Space said:

I need help identifying the midis on maps 11 & 17. @cannonball 17 is your old map.

It is from Vile Flesh (Map18) - Composed by Gwyn Williams.

Alright guys this is it. Here's what Ill be uploading to IDGames tomorrow. If you spot any last minute bugs that I may have missed, let me know ASAP! Everything has been addressed in my things to do list from my previous post. I was able to address everything except for finding the source of the midi on SRforgot map 11, so I removed it from the wad. @traversd For map 32 I put a teleport line in the exit room so that the cyber can roam around the map. He still turns invisible in a few spots, but it's way better than being invisible all the time. I put a note in the bugs section of the textfile.

Edited by Jaws In Space

MAP18 - 2 player 3 starts and 0 player 4 starts

forgotten maps MAP02 - 2 player 2 starts and 0 player 3 starts

(both result in a voodoo doll in coop)

I don't suppose you'd want to wait another few weeks with the release but we're going to play the maps across 3 or 4 sessions on Thursday Night Survival and we happen to be be extremely talented at breaking maps.

Starting today with the first half of swtchrm2.wad. The session starts at 19:00 GMT/14:00 EST and you can expect it to be fairly active for 4+ hours.

happy new year, Jaws!

Thank you and all the mappers for this mapset.

Now time to blast both switcherooms at last :D

35 minutes ago, Magnusblitz said:

Hard to believe it's been almost 7 years...

Yeah, I just didn't believe it to myself for how long this megawad is in progress... Not at the levels of Mordeth, but that's a pretty long development time....

1st megawad release of 2021! Nice to see that the rejects all managed to be in their separate wad (I was actually about to ask). A few findings from the main wad:

MAP14: Zombieman thing 400 on ITYTD/HNTR is outside the map.

MAP29: Teleport destinations 987 and 966 are only flagged for UV/NM, meaning two hell knights (ITYTD/HNTR) or revenants (HMP) won't teleport in. I was also unable to trigger secret sector 374.

Guys, Switcheroom 2 playthrough as well as the forgotten maps are now complete!

Edited by Lingyan203 : Playthrough complete

I just reached map29 and I found out that the secret with the green armour (sector 374) after passing the yellow key teleporter is impossible to register without the noclip cheat.

I just finnished this today and enjoyed it very much. I also found a considerable number of things that might be of interest if there were any plans on updating, all of them minor with the exception of one important "pseudo-softlock" which I'll explain below. My playthrough was on ultra violence with pistol starts.

07. Line 486 has ZIMMER3 unlike in the other columns.

08. At the lift on sector 179, while waiting for it to raise I got inf-height-scratched a lot by an imp. Could line 184 be blocking?

15. A zombieman (thing 413) was stuck on a lamp. Also, how do you get on the secret on sector 278? I pushed myself with a rocket from an upper platform so I could land in the big pot though that didn't seem to make much sense for only a handful bonuses.

16. Few helmets on sector 11 slightly overlap sector 14 which is higher, thus they appear floating and are unreachable. 

18. It is possible to get locked in the right wing at the northwestern part of the map (room with big lifts) if you: jump on the blood lake, then go and take the secret computer path, and drop into the big lifts room without the YK, since the door (sector 167) will be closed and can't be opened from that room. However, you can still use the secret megasphere path to leave the area, although the cons is that it becomes mandatory and quite possibly a waste (I had above 100/100 by then).

23. Thing 565 is of the blocking type and almost caused a fatal death during the cyb/cacos medley had I been unlucky. Another thing, that archvile that spawns only if you open sector 307 seems pointless and very easy to miss, in the sense that I was already done with the map excepting that archvile that I had to look its setup in the editor to figure out how to release it, and then it spawned far away in that area I already fully explored before.

29. I saw a candle floating (thing 1161)

Is there a reason why I get no level names?

At first, I thought it was a bug on my end, but upon opening the .deh file, I get this:

Spoiler

Text 17 12
level 1: entrywayMap01: Map30
Text 19 12
level 2: underhallsMap02: Map16
Text 20 12
level 3: the gantletMap03: Map19
Text 18 12
level 4: the focusMap04: Map22
Text 26 12
level 5: the waste tunnelsMap05: Map21
Text 20 12