Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koko Ricky

What are you doing to keep your mind healthy?

This could be an interesting thought exercise. By laying out my own methods and learning of yours, I think a wonderful learning process can come from this. I have been on a 24/7 healing process for several years now, and while I still make constant mistakes, there's plenty of room for growth. A few of my practices include:

- Mindfulness; awareness of my words and interactions, and how they affect others. This quickly becomes very multi-dimensional as you consider how a single decision could have a negative or positive impact on you and your surroundings. 

- Exercising several times a week, and in particular taking walks so I can absorb a bit of nature. 

- Spending time in nature, allowing me to breathe oxygen right from the source, and to stay in tune with the human fixation with the outside.

- Balancing my exposure to negative or aggressive media.

- Meditative practices designed to stimulate creativity and calm the mind, such as automatic drawing and freeform drumming.

- Non-reacting to information. This reduces anticipation of events, attachment to materialism, and the emotional fatigue that often accompanies knowledge of a tragedy.

- Running a simulation of a possible decision in my mind before actually committing, to test if the decision might be unnecessary or harmful.

- Learning new information from a variety of subjects, and subsequently teaching others this information, and seeing if they have anything to teach me in return.

- Modeling my behavior somewhat after Christ and Buddha, the idea being that, although superhuman modes of being are unlikely to be achieved while alive, one can spend their life working toward such a mode.

For me, it's pretty simple.

• Exercise. I ride my bike down my road often. I also run sometimes but it's harder for me. I need to do both more.
  • Meditation. Sometimes I sit outside on my front steps or back deck and just take in nature and breathe. Listen to nature, feel the breezes.
  • Music. Whatever you like to listen to, try to listen to some every couple days at the minimum. For me it's prog metal so I'll throw on some Dream Theater and my mind just goes free.
  • Food and water. Keep yourself fed and most importantly, water. Also it's nice to indulge sometimes and buy yourself a delicious milkshake or something, but don't go overboard.
  • Avoiding bad news. There's a reason I don't watch the news unless it's unavoidable or something local or important. Seeing bad news just kills my spirit. I don't want to be ignorant but I also don't want to hear news and politics crap all the time. There's no room in my head for that.
  • Gaming or other hobbies. Finally, when you have the time, play some games or do something you enjoy. Take some time to just forget about real life and immerse yourself in your own worlds.
  • Keeping busy. Of course, there's always jobs and work or school. It's good to have something real to be doing, and something to help you out either educationally or financially. Don't let it stress you though. If things are getting rough, just step back a moment and look at your situation. Maybe a job change is in order, or a break. Life's too short to stress this stuff.

18 minutes ago, Nevander said:

Gaming or other hobbies. Finally, when you have the time, play some games or do something you enjoy. Take some time to just forget about real life and immerse yourself in your own worlds.

I have been wondering lately if playing violent video games may have a negative impact similar to watching bad news or focusing on anything else which is negative in nature.

13 minutes ago, Avoozl said:

I have been wondering lately if playing violent video games may have a negative impact similar to watching bad news or focusing on anything else which is negative in nature.

Anything is negative when indulged in too much. I suspect that someone who only plays violent games, or only listens to death metal, or only watches sadistic horror movies, will probably develop a preoccupation with violent behavior. Moderating how much you expose yourself to it is the difference between whether or not it negatively influences you.

It's pretty simple. I just shitpost on Doomworld, so I don't do it in person or anywhere else.

3 minutes ago, geo said:

It's pretty simple. I just shitpost on Doomworld, so I don't do it in person or anywhere else.

I just shit on everything else, so I don't shitpost on Doomworld :)

The most important things for me seem to be avoiding news and social media (except DW of course). Without this I am actually quite happy. Throw in some healthy food here and there, a bit of exercise or doing things outside and I'm a happy camper.

I just stay away from people as much as I can. Can't tell if it's really helping or the opposite though. Also play guitar and write music, that's always good.

2 minutes ago, mistersector said:

Violence is not only natural, its necessary. It's part of life. Have you not observed nature? Nature wants to kill you.

It's in our nature as a species to be violent even to our selves, That's why we have war among other things, as bad and devastating as it can be, just bottling up our nature has the potential to make things worse, kinda like the constantly building tensions during the Cold War between the USA and USSR, people were convinced that the other side was going start launching nukes, that fear only grew and fear can be a good motivator for violence, no matter who is right or wrong.
Try as we might, there will always be violence for any reason, at any time, anywhere in the world. The best we can do accept this.

You can align yourself with nature, and still do your best to avoid violence.

To keep my mind healthy, I enjoy animals.

I just had a nice roast chicken, for example. ( Come on, I had to :)

My kitty-cats keep my head in check.

Edited by kb1

39 minutes ago, mistersector said:

Taken at face value, you're saying every humanoid wishes to bash another humanoid's skull in due to a natural inclination. This might be true for you, but it is reductionist and misleading at best. Some sub-species are more violent than others. All sub-species are different. Genetic behavior is real. Nature is diverse. Egalitarianism is a lie.

I'm no saying it to be a hard fact, I'm speaking from what I've noticed about the world myself, there is a higher risk of violence in some people than in others that's true.

47 minutes ago, mistersector said:

The so-called Cold War was one giant psy-op

To be honest, I used the Cold War as an example, that was something I was too young to even understand at the time, though I always think of it as little more than a pissing contest nowadays, I don't care for issues such as that in the first place.

Ultimately, it's a matter of opinion, humans probably aren't the best choice for judging us as a species in the first place, bias and what not.

2 hours ago, UNERXAi said:

I just stay away from people as much as I can. Can't tell if it's really helping or the opposite though. Also play guitar and write music, that's always good.

Music's good. You can't find the good people without inviting the possibility for the disappointing people. Actually, music can get you in touch with good people. And disappointing people! I think, like many things, it can be a balancing act: learning to be a bit more selective, more careful, more discerning, without becoming completely isolated, might be a good place to start.

15 minutes ago, wolfmcbeard said:

I'm no saying it to be a hard fact, I'm speaking from what I've noticed about the world myself, there is a higher risk of violence in some people than in others that's true.

To be honest, I used the Cold War as an example, that was something I was too young to even understand at the time, though I always think of it as little more than a pissing contest nowadays, I don't care for issues such as that in the first place.

Ultimately, it's a matter of opinion, humans probably aren't the best choice for judging us as a species in the first place, bias and what not.

From what I've seen, it's usually an infinitesimal number of people that are ultimately responsible for the vast majority of violence. The foot soldiers are just doing what they do everywhere: protect their home, their beliefs:

Gen'rals gathered in their masses,
Just like witches at black masses.
Evil minds that plot destruction,
Sorcerer of death's construction.
In the fields the bodies burning,
As the war machine keeps turning.
Death and hatred to mankind,
Poisoning their brainwashed minds.
Oh Lord yeah!

Politicians hide themselves away
They only started the war.
Why should they go out to fight?
They leave that role to the poor, yeah!

Time will tell on their power minds,
Making war just for fun.
Treating people just like pawns in chess,
Wait 'till their judgement day comes, yeah!

Now in darkness world stops turning,
Ashes where the bodies burning.
No more War Pigs have the power,
Hand of God has struck the hour.
Day of judgement, God is calling.
On their knees the war pigs crawling.
Begging mercies for their sins,
Satan, laughing, spreads his wings.
Oh Lord yeah!

War Pigs

Black Sabbath

4 hours ago, Avoozl said:

I say no, strongly no. Bad real news is bad because it's reality. Violent games are, at the end of the day, just games. I've never felt like they've had any kind of negative impact on me, quite the opposite. Many games (violent and non-violent) are nostalgic for me and playing them is often equal to the same feeling of happiness any number of other positive things would give.

^ Not to mention the cathartic effect they can have. They most definitely make me feel good, probably because I'm kind of addicted to violence.

On topic, I try the following:

- Mindfulness.

- Reading stuff.

- Music & Video games.

- Non-reacting to information.

Guess we have some points in common.

What are you doing to keep your mind healthy?

Absolutely nothing, both my mind and body are an absolute trainwreck tbh

(EDIT: This was intended to come off as funny rather than snarky, just want to make that clear)

Though, I honestly do think I need to work a bit on my mental health overall. I've been having some unpleasant thoughts and feelings lately, to oversimplify it to a ridiculous degree. I'll manage to pull through and cope though, I just need to eat a bit better, drink more water, meditate a little more and maybe get back into doing a touch of light yoga..

I can thoroughly recommend Rock Climbing. It's like an instanced MMO physics based puzzle game with levels and servers and gear and everything. 

I go to the gym. Exercise prevents the deterioration of the brain, which starts around 25-27.

I realized I never even answered the question, so Here I am, on topic...

- Reading and writing, to keep my mind busy
- Music, listening to music  keeps me sane most days and I wouldn't last long without it.
- Games, a good way for to vent my negative energy.
- dog, good for body and mind and usually the goodedst boi.

- Music. Whether listening to other bands or my band, it's definitely great for the mind. Even though the music I listen to is Metal, still great.

- Doom editing. I've been working on my Jazz Jackrabbit Doom mod for the past year (still not finished) and it has been relaxing.

- Carpentry.

9 hours ago, Avoozl said:

I think it depends alot on the context and type of the violence of the video game. Doom 2016 is a very violent game but atleast it is over the top violence in fantastical setting and context. Whole Rip and Tear mentality is based on very negative mentality of hating your opponents and that could have some negative influence to the person playing but it is toned down somewhat by the fact that your opponent are demons and main reason to kill them is to get them out of your way. But I do think glory kills focus too much on doing something horrible things to the opponent. I think it is great that Doom Eternal seems to heading to direction where glory kills can be also something more silly, it is direction that is less toxic towards the player's mental state.

Negative influences can have a big effect on us and that toxicity can grow and spread very easily to other people like a disease. Consuming alot of any hateful or hate glorifying media will make you feel more hateful. Same goes for media that spread other strong forms of negativity. It is important to balance these negative influences with positive influences or even let the positivity overpower them by a large margin. Person needs to careful not consume too much negative media or spend too much time around negative people and most of all you should yourself avoid doing things that are motivated by negativity.

Edited by banjiepixel

On the subject of the inherent violence of being...I've explored those darker parts of my mind and found a primal ape-man, fixated on sex and death. Both of these impulses--to procreate and kill--are interrelated, representing different forms of intimacy. To kill is to establish a personal connection with another human, not unlike sex, in which orgasm is sometimes called "the little death." Sex is also violent, mechanically speaking. You can see there is a yin/yang to the two.

Mitigating them in the modern culture is challenging. Between my marriage and the violent indulgences I allow myself (Doom, heavy metal, the occasional horror film), those ape-man impulses remain pretty satisfied. I think it's important to find outlets for this duality.

10 hours ago, Doomkid said:

I've been having some unpleasant thoughts and feelings lately, to oversimplify it to a ridiculous degree. I'll manage to pull through and cope though, I just need to eat a bit better, drink more water, meditate a little more and maybe get back into doing a touch of light yoga..

I went through a few phases of recurring, unwanted thoughts, and still have them from time to time. What seemed to help me involved dietary changes, exercise, altruism, establishing goals for my art, and direct confrontation of these thoughts in spiritual settings. I think of it as demonic possession, and try to find ways to exorcise myself of them. With enough practice, you can help exorcise others as well.

Edited by GoatLord

Exercise, both cardio and strength and the kind of stuff like taking stairs instead of the elevator.

Sword or other martial art practice.

Music, listening or playing, dancing combines exercise with music.

Playing games.

Eating healthy.

Sleeping and dreaming.

- Reading. I've been doing more reading in recent years. I always used to read a lot more than I do now and there was a period of quite a few years where I read very little. I think the internet happened or something.

- Food + Exercise. Eating more healthy for sure. I cut out most of the sugar intake. Rarely drink juice or pop now. Lost about 13lbs since late last year. That kinda leveled out so I could lose a few more, but that'll come when the weather gets nicer. I'll get to do more walking.

- Doom. Editing Doom. I find it very relaxing.

- Music. I listen to lots of music.

- Art. I gotta kick myself and get the art engine going.. drawing, oil and acrylic painting, etc... I got 2 sketch books that are empty. I was thinking of drawing up a monster manual type of thing.

- Optical Magnet. I don't watch a lot of t.v. / film anymore but I started to watch a few things on Netflix / DVD / Blu Ray (I have a large pile of movies) recently. I think it's good to break up the free time with different things, rather than just doing the same thing, which happens sometimes with me. There's so many movies and series I have yet to watch... One thing I do watch a lot of is Hockey but I find it's a good break to sit back and watch the Toronto Maple Leafs whenever they play. Good times.

I notice several you have (unsurprisingly) mentioned Doom modding as a form of relaxation or stress relief. Humans love to tinker and play with things, and I think Doom modding has that same satisfying repetitive feel to it that crocheting does, which a number of my friends partake in. When you're modding, you basically get to build a machine and then slowly debug it. It can be very calming.

I suspect that learning new things from scratch is a lot more effective in this respect than pursuing existing skills to ever higher levels (even if they are ones that involve a lot of brain activity). That probably applies to physical as well as mental tasks.

8 hours ago, GoatLord said:

I went through a few phases of recurring, unwanted thoughts, and still have them from time to time...I think of it as demonic possession, and try to find ways to exorcise myself of them. 

I'm not a scholar so don't quote me on this but, I think the classical use of the word "demon" referred to exactly those dark thoughts and bad habits / vices, not little red goblins with pointy teeth. I'm guessing somewhere around Dante is where they began to be thought of as beings that punished us. Anyway I think the core of the idea is that yeah, we all have these things present in our minds that take an effort of will to suppress.