Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
banjiepixel

Extra lives

So the game has extra lives mechanic. From what I have seen, extra lives seem to work like gold orbs in Devil May cry series, basically you die but can continue instantly without restarting from the last checkpoint. But what I have thinking is that if Doom Eternal gives you option not to use that extra life at that time.

In Devil May Cry games there is a option when you die not to use a gold orb so you can start over from the checkpoint without losing the gold orb. This allows that you do not lose gold orb just because you had bad run at that time. I am bit worried that if Doom Eternal forces you to use the extra life if you die. If not, extra lives would great way to give players more control over checkpoints and would make those players that want to be able save anytime and anywhere atleast tiny bit happier compared to Doom 2016.

My way to get around this would be to play on the hardest difficulty. Assuming that the hardest difficulty restricts extra lives.

So hording extra lives for the final boss?  I guess if you wanted to make the game very easy.  I bet there is a cap on how many lives the Doomslayer can horde.  3?

12 minutes ago, Zemini said:

So hording extra lives for the final boss?  I guess if you wanted to make the game very easy.  I bet there is a cap on how many lives the Doomslayer can horde.  3?

But if you would be forced to use them, you could still hoard them by just manually restarting checkpoint once you are about to die so the same issue exists anyway. Of course there should be a limit and 3 would be a good one.

Also if you hoard tons of them for final boss first time playing, but surely you will want to eventually go back and do it without using any extra lives? I mean, you must be very terrible Doom player if you can't complete Doom Eternal without using extra lives? Devil May Cry series also has a ranking system that gives you big penalty if you use gold orbs so the game encourages player not to use them unless they basically admit that they are bad at playing the game by using them.

Looks like it works the same as the Saving Throw rune from 2016... if you have an extra life and your health goes to zero, the screen goes gray, you are invulnerable for a few seconds and your health refills, so you just keep playing. You can clearly see this from the GDC gameplay footage when the player should have died while jumping over the arachnotron. The screen says “extra life activated.”

If your health goes to zero and you have no extra lives, you restart at the last checkpoint, same as 2016 (except Ultra Nightmare of course).

There’s an interview somewhere on Youtube of Marty Stratton saying this, and that they didn’t want people to have to restart at checkpoints as often.

Not sure if you can choose not to use an extra life though...

Just now, bj25x said:

Looks like it works the same as the Saving Throw rune from 2016... if you have an extra life and your health goes to zero, the screen goes gray, you are invulnerable for a few seconds and your health refills, so you just keep playing. You can clearly see this from the GDC gameplay footage when the player should have died while jumping over the arachnotron. The screen says “extra life activated.”

If there is no way to not have it activate once you die with it, I would get pretty stupid to try then avoid collecting them if you don't want to use them. Also runes were basically more permanent while extra lives seem to be item that you find in level and you lose it when used.

7 minutes ago, bj25x said:

There’s an interview somewhere on Youtube of Marty Stratton saying this, and that they didn’t want people to have to restart at checkpoints as often.

Extra lives definitely make sense to be for this reason. But I am sure that many will want to complete Doom Eternal without using even one extra life during their first playthrough. The mechanic needs to be designed with that also in mind. That is how I am going play the game when it comes out.