Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

First:

Second:

I played on UV and didn't have any issues with difficulty except for the chaingunners that pop up behind you and the archvile. The former is more cheap than difficult. Your use of the arch texture is pretty effective and I have to say for a first map it does look pretty good. Last thing, I would of prefered a different song for the map but I won't knock off points for having Running From Evil play.

I can't believe this is your first map.

It's amazing. The level of detail, the grandness in some sets... it felt like i was playing a Quake's Arcane Dimensions map.

And, more important, i never felt lost, wich is super rare in these huge Doom maps. Usually i don't like maps with 200+ enemies because they take too much time to finish, but this one i was capable of finishing it in 30 minutes (more than that i get bored) =D

Congratulations! Cathedral is awesome 

Spoiler

This is good. So good i have trouble believing it's your first map! Regardless, it plays very similarly to classic DOOM maps which is the highest compliment i can give. Difficulty was pretty good, slowly ramps up in difficulty without ever feeling cheap.

Good architectural flow. Good texture usage and light usage, only once did i feel cheaped but that's probably just my hatred for traps, overall very good and if this is your first then i'm excited to see what you do in the future. Keep it up!

Sweet midtextures!

Ahem. Really enjoyed it, looked great and played well. Played on HMP, found 3/4 secrets.

Just a few things to comment on:

* Most (if not all?) of your doors aren't lower unpegged, so the texture to the side scrolls up when the door opens. There's such attention to detail elsewhere though that it seems like maybe this was a stylistic choice?

* There are some very oddly placed "block monsters" linedefs, which make some groups of monsters pretty impotent, and some fights quite cheesable.

* Now, this might just be my less-than stellar Doom skills, but I found ammo to be extremely tight - Even having used the chainsaw as much as comfortably possible, I had to run past the final fight because I had nowhere near enough ammo to win it.

* Seems to be some texture alignment issues here:

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20190323_211515.png.7f72387fd656280cd0be09072891cf99.png

But overall, pretty great.

Really solid map, Aesthetic is pretty generic (De La Doom 2 Greens & Browns Overload) but works best when used with marble. Well detailed. Pretty solid map flow.

Smart choice to start your first map as a Hell one, rather than the standard techbase.

Only issues I have is that the Chaingun and Bullets should've been granted before the Mancubus turrets behind the Blue Door (unless there was one hidden in a secret I was unaware of) Pain Elemental trap was a bit, eh to say the least, but this is more of an issue with how Lost Souls, and PEs are balanced.

Not a big fan of the Red Key Area, basically a slog (even in HMP) and the Mancubi in the Blood Slough past the Super Shotgun are a complete pain in the arse (especially considering most Chaingun ammo is blown crowd controlling the Former Humans, and Revenants beforehand. The Barons afterwards felt like a giant overkill.

I get the feeling this was meant to be a "Ultra Violence" (inb4 I get hate mail from Pro-Doomers rambling on about how UV is the "doom experience") focus experience. But I suppose if that's what you wanted, all power to you brutha.

Also should've picked something other than D_RUNNIN, but I'm just pickin' at little things at this point.

19 hours ago, Nootrac4571 said:

Sweet midtextures!

Ahem. Really enjoyed it, looked great and played well. Played on HMP, found 3/4 secrets.

Just a few things to comment on:

* Most (if not all?) of your doors aren't lower unpegged, so the texture to the side scrolls up when the door opens. There's such attention to detail elsewhere though that it seems like maybe this was a stylistic choice?

* There are some very oddly placed "block monsters" linedefs, which make some groups of monsters pretty impotent, and some fights quite cheesable.

* Now, this might just be my less-than stellar Doom skills, but I found ammo to be extremely tight - Even having used the chainsaw as much as comfortably possible, I had to run past the final fight because I had nowhere near enough ammo to win it.

* Seems to be some texture alignment issues here:

Hide contents

Screenshot_Doom_20190323_211515.png.7f72387fd656280cd0be09072891cf99.png

But overall, pretty great.

Hey! Thank you for your review!

The highlighted area opens with you get the red key so you don't have to go all the way back to the entrance of the cathedral, and there's a plasma rifle in there. And at this point you should already have 300+ cells for the final battle. I just added a little bit of ammo and stimpacks... and difficulty levels (way less enemies on easiest and I removed some for Hurt me Plenty)

For the doors, I didnt even know they had to be lower unpegged and the side texture could NOT slide! It's my first map so I'm still discovering the editors and the more advanced features.

Thanks again!

sladeshot-2019-03-24-135900.png

14 hours ago, XLightningStormL said:

Really solid map, Aesthetic is pretty generic (De La Doom 2 Greens & Browns Overload) but works best when used with marble. Well detailed. Pretty solid map flow.

Smart choice to start your first map as a Hell one, rather than the standard techbase.

Only issues I have is that the Chaingun and Bullets should've been granted before the Mancubus turrets behind the Blue Door (unless there was one hidden in a secret I was unaware of) Pain Elemental trap was a bit, eh to say the least, but this is more of an issue with how Lost Souls, and PEs are balanced.

Not a big fan of the Red Key Area, basically a slog (even in HMP) and the Mancubi in the Blood Slough past the Super Shotgun are a complete pain in the arse (especially considering most Chaingun ammo is blown crowd controlling the Former Humans, and Revenants beforehand. The Barons afterwards felt like a giant overkill.

I get the feeling this was meant to be a "Ultra Violence" (inb4 I get hate mail from Pro-Doomers rambling on about how UV is the "doom experience") focus experience. But I suppose if that's what you wanted, all power to you brutha.

Also should've picked something other than D_RUNNIN, but I'm just pickin' at little things at this point.

Thanks for the review!

For the first 2 Mancubus, there's a rocket launcher right under/between them! You get the chaingun right after and I added a little more ammo. Yeah I'm not a fan of the red key exterior area myself, but it was meant to be a fireball rain. Hiding behind the Super Shotgun columns should provide enough cover to take the mancubus out pretty easily. And yeah the map was supposed to be hard and the version you tried didnt have lowered enemy count for I'm too young to die and Hurt me plenty. I just updated the file, have a look and thanks again!

played both maps , really good indeed .

I don't know if you plan to build other maps but you should.

hope you can make a full megawad with the same quality as those 2 levels.

did you think about a sort of storyline to connect those two maps ?

On 3/24/2019 at 8:24 PM, F0U said:

I didnt even know they had to be lower unpegged and the side texture could NOT slide! It's my first map so I'm still discovering the editors and the more advanced features.

so you don't know about texture pegging, yet managed to make THIS?! you know what? this is freakin' great and amazing! i can only imagine what wonders we will see when you learn some tricks... please, go on! if your first maps are of such quality... just don't stop. ever. ;-)

On 4/13/2019 at 12:27 PM, Suitepee said:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/410481821

Playtested this wad first as part of a recent livestream. Enjoyed both maps and their detailing on the whole.

Heyy thanks for your review. I watched the whole stream and I'm glad you liked my work! Yeah I'm a noob at Doom mapping... those were my 2 first Doom maps and I only used the very limiting Slade editor