Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

SCOURGE II - DIRECTION TO TRINITY

So, here comes my second Wad.

Instead of making multiple levels like the first Wad, this is a single map Wad. Like the first one, i must say its still very amateur-ish...of course i have tried to follow the advices of other members, with details, alignments...but still, i think it could be better, but i dont think its worst than the first one.

I have made some mistakes (well actually after you guys play, there should be more) like using corridors...but i must say, i thought it was necessary for the concept i had for this map.

It tooked me about 1h15 gameplay to finish the map, and i did it without using the secrets so i could see about ammo and health...i must advise you guys that, without the secret rooms you will have to manage carefully your ammo, and its a puzzle kind of map.

Like the first wad i have made, its meant to be played in HURT ME PLENTY dificulty, NO JUMPING, NO CROUCHING allowed.

I made this WAD in GZDOOMBUILDER....IWAD source DOOM2, game configuration: Boom (DOOM 2 ) Doom format, and tested gameplay in GZDOOM.

Hope you guys enjoy it. Please give me your feedback, criticism good or bad, im here to embrace it and try to do better for a next time. 

SCOURGE2.zip

examp1.jpg

examp2.jpg

examp3.jpg

examp4.jpg

examp5.jpg

examp6.jpg

examp7.jpg

examp8.jpg

I just played it. It was fun and creative with great music. The cliff-edge part was frustrating though. Died a few times there. 

There is an error at the end....I couldn't find a way to get up to the flesh-switch (just before the double cyberdemon fight).  I was trapped in that room with no way to activate the lift up. I had to "no-clip" up there. If there is a legitimate way then i couldn't find it after searching the same room for minutes. 

Also one secret (backpack / bfg) has an adjacent sector tagged as a secret and thus you get two secret notifications in one. 

Apart from that, good work. Keep mappin' and don't take the critics around here too personally. Hopefully we'll get a Scourge III in the future. 

Hello there, thanks for playing my Wad!

About the error, i have tested and there is no error to get up to the flesh-switch....there is a way, but not visible at first sight. Thank you very much for your feedback ;)

Ill be thinking about Scourge III in the future.

I like it, pretty good for 2nd wad. Gameplay was fun, it was nicely balanced yet the "cliff edge" and mastermind part was tough and not that fun for me but other than that i enjoyed the gameplay. I liked the music choice it was much more fun for me thanks to this. Other than that it was fun to play, keep working on yourself and try to improve your texture choices and Keep it up. Good work

3 hours ago, Marlamir said:

I like it, pretty good for 2nd wad. Gameplay was fun, it was nicely balanced yet the "cliff edge" and mastermind part was tough and not that fun for me but other than that i enjoyed the gameplay. I liked the music choice it was much more fun for me thanks to this. Other than that it was fun to play, keep working on yourself and try to improve your texture choices and Keep it up. Good work

Hello, thanks for playing my Wad. I must confess that the "cliff edge" was thought to be that way, hard and managed with caution...the first wad i have made, it seemed to lack on  dificulty so, in this one, i managed to push a little bit up. Thank you very much for your feedback! 

On 4/13/2019 at 5:31 PM, Suitepee said:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/410481821

Playtested this FOURTH in my most recent livestream. Perhaps a bit too lengthy, but an interesting experience. (damn crushers surprised me a few times) Quirky but in a good way.

Hi John, thank you very much for playing my Wad once again. Cheers...ill be working on my ScourgeIII.

Edited by Austinado

Huge HOM here: 

Spoiler

image.png.eadcf11fc02782a9d9495bd218c2b18c.png

Played in PRBOOM+ because the format allowed me to, I assume this looks fine in GZDoom.

Keep getting stuck on the wall here:

Spoiler

image.png.baa9b3b861f49e5f28801eb662c34c78.png

You can pass through these bars:

Spoiler

image.png.b767b4a2107aa300aaee4d358e12b094.png

@Austinado - congratulations on making this giant map! I've given it a play through now. Took me a little under 50 minutes on UV, missing 1 enemy and 6 secrets. It's an impressive effort, with lots going on, plenty of theme variation and a really good BGM selection. The crushers out of nowhere weren't cool, but it's good that you've got moving parts integrated into your design like that and are setting up traps. The mixture in scales between tight corridors, large rooms and big open areas was good to see, as was the greater experimentation with height variation. I can see you've been taking people's input on board and are clearly pretty enthusiastic about what you're up to. I like how the main hub really opened up once the key hunt was complete, and the wide open final area with the skull floor, all the fountains and other hellish bits actually looked pretty good! It wouldn't take much polish to make some parts of this map really shine.

I'm quite enjoying the evolution of your mapping as you go through the various phases I remember from learning myself and the wider experience that everybody who started in the 90s was enjoying. Errors were pretty minimal here too, with no massive glaring ones that I caught in GZDoom (although Egg Boy's post rather implies that's partially down to the hardware rendering). I think a bit more consistency in texturing themes to make each area feel cohesive would be the most welcome change for me (aside from not having crushers sneak up on me...)

I'll be sure to look into Scourge 3 and 4 in the near future.