Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
memes4lyfe

winquake thinks its sonic the hedgehog on my pc

quake runs very well on my pc. so well in fact, that it overloads on FPS and turns into sonic the hedgehog! on my old pc, it did not have this issue. on windows 10, is there a way to limit the speed on winquake? my school computers run quake just fine without being possessed by sonic.

What port? There's probably some option to turn on VSync, or console command to limit the framerate.

I've never tried using Winquake on Win10 (though it ran fine on Win7, except for the CD audio issue.)

I recommend trying the Mark V sourceport which has a winquake software renderer (and plays external music tracks just fine.)

Okay, but on my school computers, they run winquake just fine on windows 10. Is it a config thing? Or do i need to just exist properly?

Time to use any of the much better ports Quake has. That port shouldn't be touched unless you have windows 98 and an ancient cpu. Or try your luck with windows compatibilty or DOSbox, but don't expect much.

Official WinQuake does not support mouse wheel spins (can't bin them). Ports i mentioned above are identical to WinQuake, but have fixed bugs. Official WinQuake and my mentioned ports works perfectly on Win XP. Why don't you just try different compatibility modes? Relax, it's not dangerous.

Quakespasm is what quake community uses nowadays. Up to date and keeps up with Quake spirit. 

6 hours ago, Ajora said:

I wonder who will portray memes4lyfe in the inevitable Doomworld movie. 

I assume once Ronald McDonald and Wendy have a kid, thei wyll portrai Ajora.

2 hours ago, Misty said:

Quakespasm is what quake community uses nowadays. Up to date and keeps up with Quake spirit. 

One of the greatest source ports of all time. 

6 hours ago, Rimantas said:

Gilbert Gottfried?

Thank you so much for this. I'm going to read memes4lyfe's posts in the voice of Gilbert Gottfried from now on. You should try it yourself; I'm getting a kick out of it.

25 minutes ago, Jello said:

Thank you so much for this. I'm going to read memes4lyfe's posts in the voice of Gilbert Gottfried from now on. You should try it yourself; I'm getting a kick out of it.

Rodney Dangerfield is even better.

Just now, Dark Pulse said:

Rodney Dangerfield is even better.

You know, that could work, but I think Gottfried is better. His caustic, acerbic, whining voice just sounds so much better than Dangerfield's. 

Read this in Gottfried's voice: So I was having problems with my computer running a game too fast, so I called tech support and said "but seriously, how do i slow it down. it runs too fast." And they said "Have you tried breaking it's legs?"

3 minutes ago, Jello said:

You know, that could work, but I think Gottfried is better. His caustic, acerbic, whining voice just sounds so much better than Dangerfield's. 

Read this in Gottfried's voice: So I was having problems with my computer running a game too fast, so I called tech support and said "but seriously, how do i slow it down. it runs too fast." And they said "Have you tried breaking it's legs?"

"No respect, I tell ya."

I like Dangerfield and the work that he did. But honestly, in this situation, Gottfried is the better voice to imagine. Because Dangerfield didn't get no respect, but he held himself high. Gottfried will always sink to the lowest level possible, and revel in it. So I respect both of them for what they do/did. But Gottfried's voice is funnier.

And really, after watching Dangerfield's performance in Natural Born Killers, he really started to creep me out. Maybe he was just that good of an actor, but the way he played the incestuous father seemed a little too... natural. 

Nah, I'm not insinuating anything about a dead man, that happens too often. But he really fucking nailed that performance.

for some reason, it stopped running too fast. now it's operating at normal speed. maybe it had to do with my pc running out of battery?

(also, please don't mock me. it kinda makes me anxious)

Using a different port doesn't solve the original issue of why it ran so fast for you but didn't on school PCs. I don't see why this would happen unless the school PCs are not built for graphics rendering and are simply running it at "normal" speed.

Many old games have this problem. Usually because the CPUor GPU are much different.  Like Supaplex running 30 times faster on a new pc.

Just use a port if compatibility didn't fix it. You'll get 22 years of updates by fans, winquake doesn't even support everything the original game did. No reason to use it.

It'd be like someone on this forum insisting to use gameboy or doom 95 instead of a much better port.