Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Immorpher

Prodeus Kickstarter (Finished)

I am not only an Amid Evil shill, I am a major Prodeus shill too! Since I've put down money on their kickstarter I thought I would share it. It's clearly doom inspired, and has some interesting rendering techniques. I know kickstarter can be a real mixed bag, but the game has already had a lot of development done in the short time it was first announced, so I think it is promising.

Here's the kickstarter link: Prodeus Kickstarter

Edited by Immorpher : Updated the last kickstarter day.

And just in... Andrew Hulshult (Amid Evil, Dusk, Quake Champions, Full Doom Remake Album...) is doing the soundtrack.

27 minutes ago, Vorpal said:

"Content Distribution Service"? 

From talking with them, they have a level editor built into the game. So you can be playing your custom level and then enter the level editor right from that spot, make changes, and go back in. They want people to be able to share levels and campaigns with each other from the game itself, like mario maker in a way. This is what they mean by content distribution service.

I watched a live stream of one of the devs making a level and that's what it looked like he was doing.

Final edit: They are answering questions (when they can) on their Discord too: https://discord.gg/VEpebQr

Yeah it's just that the word "Service" carries with it a connotation of additional cost to the customer, alas

3 minutes ago, Vorpal said:

Yeah it's just that the word "Service" carries with it a connotation of additional cost to the customer, alas

I know what you mean! I haven't been able to play the Doom 2016 snap maps because I don't have an online service for my consoles. I don't think there will be an additional cost for their level sharing service, but I haven't asked yet.

SP Doomers/Quakers are so spoiled this year. Digging the amount of control we'll have on the game by the looks of it.

2 hours ago, mistersector said:

Tell us more about these rendering techniques. Is this an engine built from the ground up? Or a derivative of idtech? UE? Unity? Other? The kickstarter is vague on the technicalities. It looks fantastic, whatever it is.

unityengine.png

I dislike the copious amounts of blood/gore. You cannot even make out what you're shooting at since reddish blobs are obscuring your view all the time. This is further aggravated by the humanoid enemies not being distinct enough (in build, texturing, animation) to identify at a glance. I do like the look of the overall gameworld.

1 hour ago, Mordeth said:

I dislike the copious amounts of blood/gore. You cannot even make out what you're shooting at since reddish blobs are obscuring your view all the time. This is further aggravated by the humanoid enemies not being distinct enough (in build, texturing, animation) to identify at a glance. I do like the look of the overall gameworld.

I concur. Thankfully it looks like it has a bunch of visual settings (you can see them in the KS page), and some of them make the visuals more readable. Nothing about the gore itself though. Maybe @Immorpher knows more?

Edit: except maybe this screen in the same section, so I'm optimistic here:

67ad0823284e5dbabf68bb3c905b51e4_original.jpg

The devs seem to listen to the users (judging from the plenty of pixelation options, the less intruding HUD options, etc.) so I guess a future "less gore / no gore" option is quite possible.

Finally... a Doom 4 clone for those who can't afford Doom 4.

I haven't come across gore options yet. I seen another person wondering about them as well. I know they are writing up a FAQ at the moment since they have received a lot of questions. I'll see what I can find out from their discord and let you know.

14 hours ago, Mordeth said:

If the gore isn't in the way then you can see the stiff, robotic animations. Can't have that, need to build hype!

I rather like the choppy animations.

I'll agree about the gore, its very hard to see whats going on with the excess amount of blood blocking everything.

Looks pretty fun. I'm really loving the explosion of retro-styled FPS games, Dusk, Ion maiden and now this. 

Did the devs improved the resoultion of textures/sprites. Coz they look slightly higher res now than before, which is good. However I agree with Mordeth regarding the blood/gore obscuring the view and the enemies not distinct enough to identify at glance.

1 hour ago, ReaperAA said:

Did the devs improved the resoultion of textures/sprites. Coz they look slightly higher res now than before, which is good. However I agree with Mordeth regarding the blood/gore obscuring the view and the enemies not distinct enough to identify at glance.

This is much better in "3D mode". Honestly they should make a higher res "Sprite mode" because these designs do not lend well to that level of pixelation.

3dmode.jpg

as long as there's a way to disable the pixelization of everything, i'm interested. i feel that the look of the game is harmed by everything looking so fuzzy, and honestly it kind of makes me motion sick. the art assets looks good, the pixel aesthetic doesn't.

Indeed you can disable all of the pixel effects, at least that is what is being shown. Concerning gore, looks like they are going to have an option to adjust it. Specifically they mentioned "Or maybe a few clean boxes that say (Super clean! Super Gore! Middle ground)" on discord. It may not be implemented quite yet, but they agree that sometimes the gore is overpowering on screen.

Just wanted to chime in and say hi!

Yep! We have been following the communities pretty closely and reading all of the feedback. Our first art pass on the game has reveals too much noise and now we are in the process of refining that style to become more readable and less in your face. A part of that process will be giving players visual options, but mostly us cleaning up what is there. 

I asked Mike, he said (for Pc Platforms, confirmed) we would be able to allow resolution changes on the enemy pixel rendering. So you could make them higher res, but still keep them in their sprite form. 

We are using Unity as a base engine, but the editor is a custom tool we've build that runs in-game from the main menu seamlessly. Check out this time-lapse video here, and maybe slow it down to .5? it goes by pretty fast. 

The big thing for us at the moment, is to get our Kickstarter to 100% as soon as possible, the more money the studio makes, the more features we can add to the editor / polish the game / ect.

Kickstarter Page

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB44BlUMjnM&t

1 hour ago, joepallai said:

This looks fantastic!    I may have to get a new computer for this.  (what are the minimum specs?)

I believe it was mentioned somewhere they're targeting consoles so I imagine relatively low?

15 hours ago, Bauul said:

I believe it was mentioned somewhere they're targeting consoles so I imagine relatively low?

That's not necessarily true, but hopefully they are low so more people can enjoy the game 

3 hours ago, MrDeAD1313 said:

That's not necessarily true, but hopefully they are low so more people can enjoy the game 

Yes but I think they're targeting all consoles, including the Switch, so unless the PC build is entirely different it can't have the absolute highest requirements in the world.

Looking at the videos, I'd be amazed if it was particularly demanding.

On 3/27/2019 at 3:30 AM, Kira said:

This is much better in "3D mode". Honestly they should make a higher res "Sprite mode" because these designs do not lend well to that level of pixelation.

3dmode.jpg

I like the fact the sprite mode changes the resolution and does nothing to change the wall textures.