Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
AngelOfDeath

X And Y Offset ???

Can someone explain x and y offset to me.
Like what to set them at if my walls have the same texture
but the sectors go down 16 for every stair.
If it helps the line and sector height is 128 width 64.
I need to make txextures look smooth.

Most editors can set the offsets automatically, but WadEd can't, so I have quite some experience of this :)

All the lines are offset from left to right, so start with the side of your stairs that starts from left and up, then goes down. You didn't say if the lines on the side of the stairs are one sided or two sided, so this is the case of 1-sided linedefs.

The first line, if the ceiling also goes down 16 units, has to have an Y offset of 16, so it's moved up. If the ceiling height doesn't change, there is no need to change the Y offset. The second line, if the lines are all 64 units wide, and the texture is wider than 64 units, has to have X offset of 64, and 16 more of Y offset if needed, so it's 32. The third line's Y offset should be 48, and If the texture you use is wider than 128 units, X offset should be increased by 64, so it's 128, and so on...

mirror the Y offsets to the other side of the stairs, and align the X offsets, starting again from the left.

I hope this makes some sense, it sounds more complicated than it really is when one gets the hang of it.

Guest Fanatic

Y offset affects a textures left-right offset (moves it left or right by Y pixels).

X offset affects a textures up-down offset (moves it up or down by X pixels).

The Y offset is treated from left to right. So a Y value of 16 moves the texture to the right by 16 pixels. A Y value of -16 moves the texture to the left by 16 pixels.

The X offset is treated from bottom to top. So an X offset of 16 moves the texture up 16 pixels. An X value of -16 moves the texture down 16 pixels.

So you have to look at a stair case in two directions for Y offset, the left side of the wall to the right, and the right side of the wall to the left (like making a circle in the hallway).

You are probably having trouble with the X offset, since the stairs go down.

Int hat case, for each stair that goes down, you need to set the X offset to the height offset of each stair.

So for step 1, use this as your base stair, X offsets = 0.

Step 2 has a floor and ceiling -16 below the 1st step, so X offsets = 16.

Step 2 has a floor and ceiling -32 below the 1st step, so X offsets = 32.

And so on.

You might try using WAD Author or similar to align textures for you, because it's a pain in the ass to do it by hand, especially for outdoor or oddly shaped lines. Otherwise, get your calculator out. :)

Y offset affects a textures left-right offset (moves it left or right by Y pixels).

X offset affects a textures up-down offset (moves it up or down by X pixels).

(snip)

Marc, you got it backwards - X is left/right, Y is up/down.

Katgut is right. But what is this I hear about editors that can automatically align textures? That sounds damn nice...