Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Novaseer

Should secret levels make a return?

And no, I don't mean the gimmicky classic levels which you accessed from the menu. Proper secret levels that offer alternative exits and affect the main campaign, like in the original games. Thoughts?

24 minutes ago, Novaseer said:

And no, I don't mean the gimmicky classic levels which you accessed from the menu. Proper secret levels that offer alternative exits and affect the main campaign, like in the original games. Thoughts?

The scale of levels are far too large to allow for dev time to be put into them. But if they were too small, they probably wouldn’t be worth playing.

This is probably why classic levels were in Doom 2016 in the first place, they were the secret levels because they didn’t want to waste time on full-sized levels that would be kept secret. 

Secret levels could work in a way that even offers more lore and fits the game's universe.

But like Ramiel said, they'd take a lot of time and effort.

Yes they should.  In my opinion they add something to do after you completed the game without them.

I wish, I really do, but let's be honest, that would take a lot of time and energy, even by triple A game standards, I'm not trying to say they haven't or won't.
Something like a bonus level, finish it to get a power up, extra life, or ammo to use in the next level at will, maybe it unlocks a super secret area in the next level.
I think it's more likely that we'll get secret og levels though, a nice little thing, but not something I hunted for and not something I'd focus much on in Eternal either.
A nice twist would be secret levels that are remakes of Doom 3 and 4 areas in the old idtech engine, another gimmick I admit, but could be fun little romps.

I think that a full reinvented level of Doom 1 or 2 as a secret level, using the Eternal's graphic engine, would be really nice.

I think they should, even though I personally don't have interest in secret levels in Doom or any other game.

But if they are to make a comeback, I hope they'll make entirely new levels, or at the very least have some maps from Doom 2 re-imagined, with new textures and everything.

A secret level could work if say it allows you to play through a part of Wolfenstein TNO or at least go to Berlin and shoot super nazis. That would be very fun. A lot like Doom 2 where you access the Nazi levels.

4 hours ago, Martin-CAI said:

I think that a full reinvented level of Doom 1 or 2 as a secret level, using the Eternal's graphic engine, would be really nice.

To be honest, I think it would only work if it significantly deviates from the source material. Old Doom levels would work terribly in this new engine. They're designed for different paces.

IMO they should. They don't have to be fully fledged campaign missions, it'd be ok if they were something different, with more arcade or puzzle elements.

I like the idea of games only showing some of what they have to the player, and leaving the rest for them to discover on their own and share with each other. I think it provides some of the more rewarding experiences you can have in gaming. They kind of did it in the new Doom, but I didn't find many of the secrets surprising or provoking in any way. They were also kind of repetitive, ie. You know there's a lever that opens a classic area in every mission, so you already know what you're looking for.

If they bring back classic levels, i hope Final Doom and 64 get some representation, because i'm pretty sure some of the ones in 2016 were recycled in VFR.

Or at least levels from 1/2 that weren't represented yet, since Dead Simple could finally use the Arachnotrons.

To be honest, modern games are just way different than classic ones, especially in level design and campaign construction. True, classic style (not classic maps) secret levels just don't work in modern games.

Of course, I might not be the best person to ask as I skip secret levels in classic Doom typically.

Id rather just have nice secret areas to discover than secret maps. I find secret maps are a bit of hit and miss really.

Oh i just remembered that some of the classic levels had wrongly placed textures and the wrong music.

I just hope id does a bit better research for these types of easter eggs.

Maybe secret levels could be like the rune trials where they have new unique areas, but they're more focused on some challenges or something.

Do i think they should return? Hell yes.

Will they return? In my opinion, probably not.

Like a few people have stated it probably wouldn't work with how the level design/campaign is constructed in modern games. Maybe id Software will do the secret "classic" areas (or w/e they are called) again though, although it's not exactly the same thing.

I liked the classic maps in the new Wolfenstein games much more.

I dont understand the appeal of the classic maps.  I have played those levels a million times already and I don't need another remake of old.  If you are going to remake EP1 update every part of it and not just the monsters and weapons.

I think they are going to focus on single player DLC content after the initial release, like a continuation of the story. I prefer that to secret maps if they have to choose between the two.