Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Captain Red

Your ZdoomGL wish list.

How about we wait for timmie to get ZDoomGL upto what it was in 1.22 gl0.66 before we do something like this eh?

But sure, guess it can't hurt ;)

I'd like to add underwater caustics to the wishlist!

I was doing some poking around on the opengl.org forums and it doesn't look too hard to do :)

Ok, here's the wishlist of things I'm going to look at after getting ZDoomGL to where it should be (ZDoom 2.0 features + dynamic lighting + md2 models):

- NVidia per-pixel lighting (rather than lightmapping). Demo at http://opengl.nutty.org/nvidia/index.html (second from last)
- Environment mapping on specified textures (like mirrors.ini, which won't be used anymore since ZDoom has mirrors in it now).
- High-res/color Unreal-style (8-bit images each with a unique palette) textures stored in a new ZDoomGL specific lump (more for map editors).
- Duke Nukem 3D style automap (shows floor textures). I just think that looks cool :)
- underwater caustics.

Feel free to add your own...

OK heres a few ;) (I think timmie's heard most of these before from me too :P)

- Dynamic lights that can be placed around levels (heh, a Quake-style static lighting system would be nice too, but AFAIK it's not possible with the Doom engine :/)
- Flares / Coronas that can be placed around levels
- More advanced md2.ini:
- A transparency flag/value
- Multiple md2s per object (like, say, a torch pole which is solid, and the flame, which is transparent)
- 'Bobbing' flag (for Heretic/Hexen helth vials, etc)
- 'Pulsate light' flag (ala Quake 2's items/ammo etc)
- Md2 player skins
- High colour md2 skins
- Cooler effect for invulnerability (like JDoom's, maybe?)

Ohhh Good Idea :D Ill Just Combine My 2 Old Posts With This One
and one new one:

--------------------
Legacy Fetaures:
--------------------

New Open GL Menu System:

One For Lights -
Static Lights Toggle
Dynamic Lights Toggle
Coronas And Flare Toggle
Size Of Coronas And Flares
Monster FireBall Lights Toggle

One For Fog -
Fog Toggle
Fog Density
Colour Of The Fog

One For Misc -
Gamma Settings Like The Colour Of It
Md2 Support Toggle
Colour Settings Like 8 bit 16 bit 24 bit and 32 bit
Fov Settings
Texture Filter Like Nearest,Linear Nearest, Nearest Linear,Bilinear And Trilinear
Translucent Walls
Mouse Look Toggle - Like Full Up And Down Or Just Software Mouse Look

-------------------------------
JDOOM Features:
-------------------------------

rocket smoke or just smoke for anything else

better particals support - you know, when a rocket explodes or the bfg explodes and sparks from when the plasma balls from the plasma gun explode just like in jdoom

flares for instead of spirits for when you the pistol,shotgun, super shotgun or chaingun - the kinda "fire" stuff that comes outa yur gun
cool menu and text effects like when you select a something in the menu it becomes white and when a new menu comes up the options flash by and or when i new message comes on the hud ??

new hud system that when you pick a different ammo type for your weapon it shows that icon - same would be cool for health and armour

better explosions with flares and not spirits
like the barral when it explodes it uses those cool particals and flares for the "flame" part and all that green smoke comes out

the light that comes off of water/acid/lava/barrals on to the wallsa beside them.... that looks cool

support for jdoom style models

This One Is From Aya Reiko
Awesome Idea, So Awesome I Decided To Add It Here

How 'bout helmut mode on/off?

What I am thinking for a "Helmut mode" includes the lens flare and, if an explosion/bright light occur nearby, you get a quick image of you own face (ala Metroid Prime). Helmut mode off turns off both features. It's basically to simulate the effects of wearing the helmut.

and a new one from me

how about... vweps ?? just like in quake2.

anything I add would problby be more randys' department then timmes'

but ahh well:

- All of Eternitys' codepres and bits/flags (for *.bex files)

- A "team" flag. it would work like this: There would be a team1 team2 team3 ect bit, If you assigned team1 bit to, lets say, chaingunners and cacodemons, then chaingunners and cacodemons would attack all the other demons and the player, but not each other. (think the slaves and the marines from half life) That would be great in a mod I am currently working on.

- some how have extra weapon slots and monsters on top of what already in the game (though I've heard that randy has some kind of new script method to allow this...)

thanks for your time

As long as we're talking ... this is a neat effect from Deus Ex, something called detailed textures.

Close-up shot (option disabled):

http://arioch.net/images/screenshots/deusex/unenhanced.jpg

Close-up shot (option enabled):

http://arioch.net/images/screenshots/deusex/closeup.jpg

Here's the normal shot:

http://arioch.net/images/screenshots/deusex/faraway.jpg

Note that you have to be fairly close to any given texture to see it in effect.

SlayeR said:

- Cooler effect for invulnerability (like JDoom's, maybe?)

Alright, done.

Arioch said:

As long as we're talking ... this is a neat effect from Deus Ex, something called detailed textures.

Close-up shot (option disabled):

http://arioch.net/images/screenshots/deusex/unenhanced.jpg

Close-up shot (option enabled):

http://arioch.net/images/screenshots/deusex/closeup.jpg

Here's the normal shot:

http://arioch.net/images/screenshots/deusex/faraway.jpg

Note that you have to be fairly close to any given texture to see it in effect.

Yeah, I've been thinking about that stuff. Definitely something to look at down the road.

timmie said:

Weeeeee! Must kill Moe. Weeeeee! Must kill Moe. Weeeeee! Must kill Moe...

The episode where Homer gets thrown in jail for stealing Moe's car (for an insurance fraud so that Moe could aford to wine and dine his girl friend a bit longer)?

Homer is on a scooter or skateboard (or something) hence the "weeeeee"s

I don't know the Simpsons well enough to say for definite, and it's bugging me. :-)

Enjay said:

The episode where Homer gets thrown in jail for stealing Moe's car (for an insurance fraud so that Moe could aford to wine and dine his girl friend a bit longer)?

Homer is on a scooter or skateboard (or something) hence the "weeeeee"s

I don't know the Simpsons well enough to say for definite, and it's bugging me. :-)

That's the right episode. He's on a book cart stolen from the prison :)

sparky said:

Any Comment On My 2 Posts Timmie ??

Well, there's some stuff in there that I'm not too sure of, because it would require changes to ZDoom itself (something which I'm not prepared to do). But some things are ok:

- practically all the available OpenGL options will be available in the OpenGL Settings menu. I only have a few things in it so far, though.
- "static" lights are really dynamic lights that aren't moving, so they'd both be treated the same, unless I added support for Vavoom style static lights (no promises there).
- I'll definitely be adding seperate toggles for coronas/flares when I get around to doing them.
- the color of the fog is already controlled by ZDoom. Also, the depth fog in ZDoomGL works differently than in other GL ports (it actually tries to mimic the software fog per sector).
- Gamma settings are for controlling the brightness of the scene, not the color (use testblend for that).
- an ingame md2 toggle will be added and it should also be much more forgiving about missing models (ie: won't crash).
- the bitdepth settings will be in the Video Settings menu (I just have to get it to work the way I want).
- fov settings will probably be left in the console.
- I plan on having a menu option for the texture filter.
- I could add an option to allow full mouselook or restricted (like software).

Most of the JDoom stuff falls into the "changing ZDoom" category, so I probably won't go there unless Randy goes there (ZDoom isn't my project, so I don't feel it's my place to change fundamental things about it. I just make it pretty.). The old ZDoomGL had the lights from the water, etc, so that'll be in there, too. JDoom style md2 models do fall into my range of things I'll change, so I'll probably do something similar (multiple md2's per object is a good idea).

Also, using md2's as a particle generator would allow me to make my own particle system for md2's (so you could have the cool smoke and whatnot from the model). I could probably tie ZDoom's particle system into that so the ZDoom particles would be handled by my particle system, but we'll see.

sounds good to me :)
i ment by jdoom model support, that it would support its format
so if i installed the model packs that are for jdoom it would work with zdoomgl
cus IMO the jdoom models are more detailed then the ones for zdoomgl already, and i want to use the weapon pack for jdoom :D
that is really cool, very detailed... and its off to the right side of the screen instead of the middle

Adding support for Jdoom's model pack itself would require DED file support, which is a change to ZDoom itself, so I doubt that would be possible. But, I will probably make a md2.ini for the JDoom model pack, just to keep everyone happy ;)

yay :D :D

what about this post timmie??

This One Is From Aya Reiko
Awesome Idea, So Awesome I Decided To Add It Here

How 'bout helmut mode on/off?

What I am thinking for a "Helmut mode" includes the lens flare and, if an explosion/bright light occur nearby, you get a quick image of you own face (ala Metroid Prime). Helmut mode off turns off both features. It's basically to simulate the effects of wearing the helmut.

awesome idea :D

Yeah, Detail textures are pretty cool, I know Jdoom has support for them, but apart from the four simple ones that are there as an example, the feature is unused. It's a cool feature though, and I would like to see it in ZdoomGL.

LorD BaZTArD said:

Yeah, Detail textures are pretty cool, I know Jdoom has support for them, but apart from the four simple ones that are there as an example, the feature is unused. It's a cool feature though, and I would like to see it in ZdoomGL.

ZDoomGL already has high-res textures support.

Oh, hmmm. What exactly are those "detailed" textures? Looks like some kind of mip-mapping to me.

Well, it'd be cool if zdoomgl supported jdoom type models and .DED file type things, different scripting for models and stuff with ded, all the cool things you can do with DED.

I've just had two more ideas:

Liquids rendered the same way as it is in doom 64. That wouldn't be two difficult, and it looks fantastic!

Also, MD2 Handyness. might look strange for the pistol, but moving the weapons slightly to the left or right would be neat. (optimal of coarse)

I wish that Zdoomgl would actually work and stop showing me this message "W_GetNumForName: CONCHARS not found!" and I also wish that it wouldnt set my computer to 256 colours!

I kno this is eazy to fix, but im lazy, Ill give u my address then u can come here and fix it for me, kay?

You probably don't have the correct zdoom.wad. For the current ZDoomGL you need the wad from ZDoom 1.22.

Grab zdoom.wad from this file: http://zdoom.notgod.com/ftp/zdoom122.zip

Also, make sure that the line "vid_defbits 8" gets changed to "vid_defbits 16" (or 32, depending on the bitdepth you want) in zdoom.cfg.