Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jaska

Lost Civilization - 22-map fun and nonlinear megawad - now with download link!

[edit 12.12.19: When I read this afterwards it seems overly critical. I'm very happy with the end result! So I hid not so uplifting thoughts behind spoiler. ]

Spoiler

Random thoughts & feelings:

Everytime I play these levels I feel there is room for development. But there has to be time for release and I think these are finished enough. I've spent massive amount of time to this, anyone who has mapped should see this :) [There is no end to useless detailing]

Visions of areas in my head took over so many times. Sometimes gameplay vision shaped the areas. After all I ended up modifying many areas to serve gameplay. Sometimes it was very difficult. For example those vast open areas.

I wonder if there is players who check out for details, different routes and silent teleporters to make fake 3d and appreciates that kind of stuff.

map01: Mountain pass

There was a vision in my mind where would be abadoned place in a mountain with waterfalls and bridges. Got the idea when I was drawing with my brother's kids.  I think the map quite succesfully represents my vision. Map has many paths and secrets while they serve a little to the experience. Gameplay is ok for a opener I guess. This map started the overdetailing trend to me. I started to spend unlimited amount of time to areas. I stop when I'm satisfied or get bored/exhausted on it. I like still playing this even it's "old" map because there is many routes and it's a small map.

map02: Oceanside
Idea was to have fun experience with path on a higher level where you can shoot and blow enemies down from. I should have pushed the idea a bit further.
I had leftover parts like the house at the start and the area with two houses and fences which I kind of forced to the map.

map03: The farmlands

Valley with fields. Plain area with a field. I liked this at first. Now there is something.. I don't know. Too linear, too big open spaces. Was difficult to get gameplay decent. I like the red key area.

map04: River valley

Farm theme continues. One of my favourites. The map just got expanding while I mapped. Got ideas for new paths.. Very nonlinear and lots of secrets.
I had part of the ending building as a leftover and thought it might fit here. Also dam was a leftoever part.
I've noticed a slight lack of variation in rock formations now later on. It would be time consuming to break the patterns and shapes. And in nature, rock formations are uniform, aren't they. There are still a lot of texture misalignments on rock formations.

map05: Mountain village

I built the basic layout and idea in a day. A lot of modifications and tuning since then. I really have liked the idea and visuals. Gameplay was a headache. Too big open areas. Still feels gameplay isn't good enough.

map06: The secret city

Idea of having a nice partly underground cave where you don't expect to have a that kind of transformation.

map07: Lost in the forest

Idea for first open area was from my trip to Mestia (Georgia). What a beautiful place. Well, ingame experience is far away from the real one but as an inspiration, close enough. Got the forest idea (and textures) from "chainworm kommando". Map was a big mess for a long time. Took very much time overall. Idea was to have very nonlinear explorative experience. It didn't work out as intended. Spent a lot of time trying to get some sense to it. I still have mixed feelings about it. It's better now. I'm not pleased with it overall. Progression can be a bit confusing. After the forest part I think the map is ok. I hope the transition from cramped and quite dark forest to open outdoors is relieving. Detailing doesn't feel consistent enough.

map08: Castle

Built a facade which i liked. Then I just built whatever came to my mind.

map09: Courtyard. Basic idea of many paths and levels is old here. Tower structure opened the creativity and theme linked to the castle at last. Creation was quite fast. Ending is a joke. You start to drink and fall asleep.

map10: Idea of a dreamlike map. Nightmare. You don't know what to expect. Random things happen. Things are thrown at you. A map where I put "leftover" ideas which were out of context and had no connection to each other. Three barons trap was old idea and I like the area now a lot. It has nice dark and cramped feel. Wasn't sure what to do with the last area with the pillars. At some point there was a cyberdemon on each of them and like thousand imps roamed to the place.. But I think it didn't work too good.

map11:  Division. There was an idea of a division. Hellish type of environment where buildings were sunk into lava and other post-apocalyptic things.. Rich and poor. Castles and ruins.  Which I couldn't get together as I wanted.

"Dream" continues, I had quite much "leftover" ideas. First, the tower idea.. A vision of plain open area with high towers. People had to build towers to keep away from demon hordes. Obviously that would have been lame so I added cyberdemons and arcviles and at last, lava. But then I hadn't anymore ideas and I'm not too sure of the current state of the execution as well.

Second, the pyramid theme. I wanted to flip the pyramid, who wouldn't heh?

map12:  Nightfall. You wake up. It's night. Which turns into dawn. Copied some areas again from leftover map and It wouldn't want to fit in nicely and didn't have ideas to continue so it may feel like it's infinished.. because it actually is.

map13: Suburb    

For very long I couldn't figure out how to put this together. "Leftover" ideas saved me again and I copy/pasted the hotel and buildings near it form my "ideas" map.

map14: City centre

Idea was to have a big fight. Then I just left it, got back it, left it, got back it, left it... Very long process to have it done. A lot of different ideas forced together. Some textures doesn't seem to fit.. Had to add sector toilet at the very end. Nice secret paths and locations. Some are even not marked as secrets.

map15: Downtown    

Idea of a sandboxy city map. Just built it as I got new ideas. First time I did fake 3d tricks (silent teleporters) this big.

map16: Mansion    
Just built as I got new ideas. It has quite nice nonlinear feel. Multiple red keys.

map17: Fort
Built a facade and it set the mood for the rest of the map. Simple short map. First time I did fake 3d tricks (silent teleporters) at all. How far I could go?

map18: Prison    

Got idea from some map from doomworld thread. Quite basic doom map?

map19: Laboratory

Tried to do a techbase. Some interactivity as the item teleporters. One idea was to blast and/or chaingun low tier enemies. Not so succesfull, too linear, I think.

map20: Ending            

The the most epic, greatest, biggest,  and the most nonlinear map of the set. Had very serious problems to get this together. Very difficult to think how the map progression should be. Still not convinced if it's good enough. There surely can be point when you don't know where to go next. If anyone figures out how to improve maps progression I'm open for changes. I think this is a very good map overall.

map31: Spiderweb arena. Couldn't figure out what to do with spiderweb inspired arena. [added 12.12.19: I haven't ideas and/or the energy to implement the secret map. So I just put it there to who wants to check its architecture etc. with codes. I kinda want all my ideas out. This was so big effort I just can't even do the last playtrest run, heh(huh?). ]

I think this is like 32 wad megawad. For example, Division is like 3 maps. Map04 is like 2-4 maps, map20 is like 3-5 maps.
Overall, it was a bit of burden to get maps connected and feel like cohesive experience. You can see at some points that I wasn't too succesful.  I think some maps would have translated better to a "role playing game" -like gameplay. I thought to have death-exits on two points but left the idea then.

Edited by Jaska : 1st comment.

Wow, just... wow. Screenshots look amazing. 6 Months for „only 3 - 5 maps“? It took me 6 months for one! Very nice, I‘ll keep an eye out for this one. Keep up the good work. 

I played and enjoyed two of your previous demos for this project. Looking forward to this!

I'm so excited for this to come out! LOVE the screenshots! I want so badly to play it

On 3/29/2019 at 1:30 PM, XLightningStormL said:

DUSK? in my DooM?

It's more likely than you think.

I don't get it.

On 4/7/2019 at 6:25 AM, Doomguy-1993 said:

It looks amazing, i'm always a huge fan of realistic outdoor maps. Any sort of eta for when it will be don?

Thanks! Hopefully in 6 months.

4 hours ago, Jaska said:

Thanks! Hopefully in 6 months.

The secondary unit should be online within six months. 

It is currently undergoing preparation and should be operational within six months. 

My people will continue to report on its progress within six months.

On 3/29/2019 at 8:03 PM, Benjogami said:

The beta that I played is one of my favorite wads, greatly looking forward to the new stuff!

My sentiments exactly.

The screenshots look fantastic.

A minor point of criticism, in case you're interested: the sky texture in the map08 screenshots looks a little weird to me. It seems strange to have these enormous trees towering over everything else, including the significantly smaller player-scale trees that form part of the actual map.

Then again, maybe it looks less jarring in-game. In any case, the level geometry looks great (as I've come to expect based on the excellent beta).

1 hour ago, hedgehog said:

My sentiments exactly.

The screenshots look fantastic.

A minor point of criticism, in case you're interested: the sky texture in the map08 screenshots looks a little weird to me. It seems strange to have these enormous trees towering over everything else, including the significantly smaller player-scale trees that form part of the actual map.

Then again, maybe it looks less jarring in-game. In any case, the level geometry looks great (as I've come to expect based on the excellent beta).

Well, map08 was changed significantly after I chose that sky and I've also noticed that. So I have to change the sky at some point.

Wow! WOW! You've accomplished things that I always wanted to know IF they were possible. Apparently, yes, they are!

You have some really unique themes that are rarely, if ever, seen in Doom maps. I wanted to pick one of my favorite screenshots, and comment about it, but I couldn't figure out which is my favorite: they *all* look fantastic!

And, Boom-compatible? I am utterly amazed!

6 hours ago, kb1 said:

Wow! WOW! You've accomplished things that I always wanted to know IF they were possible. Apparently, yes, they are!

You have some really unique themes that are rarely, if ever, seen in Doom maps. I wanted to pick one of my favorite screenshots, and comment about it, but I couldn't figure out which is my favorite: they *all* look fantastic!

And, Boom-compatible? I am utterly amazed!

Thanks a lot!

16 hours ago, Jaska said:

Thanks a lot!

You are most welcome. I want that hotel map something fierce! You have real talent, hands down.

On 4/9/2019 at 4:42 PM, Jaska said:

At the city centre
PNXyzkm.png

Something gone wrong at the hotel
XJHwcx3.png
UBONfDK.png

City
BpFpeVV.png

Damn this looks gorgeous, you got me hyped for this wad.

Had a surgery about a week ago so I'm no feeling too good atm. But soon I should have good time for mapping, huh.

Yes, please heal thy self first. Hearing that you're healthy will be the news I most want to hear.