Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jaska

Lost Civilization - 22-map fun and nonlinear megawad - now with download link!

You should join this band.

<------- They have also been teasing and promising stellar content for years. ;)

Lost Civilization's entire development cycle has been the blink of an eye compared to a lot of things currently in progress.

Anyway, looking forward to the release!

Excited for this project! Think that these semi-realistic, nature-themed maps are the kind of aesthetic that is explored not nearly enough in Doom mapping.

As a shameless self-plug, I did a heavily modded playthrough of the previously released Episode 1.

Edited by AL-97

1 hour ago, HAK3180 said:

<------- They have also been teasing and promising stellar content for years. ;)

Don't quite get it.

Yes, I'm very slow on mapping. Had to work and do other stuff as well sometimes :) Now I can concentrate on this better as I'm recovering that surgery and can't do anything physical.

The screenshots look absolutely gorgeous, the architecture alone in a lot of those shots is really spectacular. Can't wait to see how these maps play!

1 hour ago, HAK3180 said:

They were never the same without Christian Älvestam anyways... :(

I was just giving you a hard time, comparing you to a band that has been "gonna release their next album soon" for like three years. This wad I'm quite sure will be worth the wait.

18 minutes ago, AL-97 said:

Excited for this project! Think that these semi-realistic, nature-themed maps are the kind of aesthetic that is explored not nearly enough in Doom mapping.

As a shameless self-plug, I did a heavily modded playthrough of the previously released Episode 1.

https://youtu.be/ZAz6_DYj7Qc

Thanks! I'm watching that video tomorrow or day after tomorrow. Those are very valuable for making the maps better. All feedback is very important because I want to make this as good as possible. I wonder if there is like IRC-channels, twitch streams that I'm not aware of where people comment wads they play.

@AL-97 Watched the video. That was fast and furious! You didn't seem to have problems at all, nice playing! Nice mods too.

@Jaska The hardest part, as silly as it might sound, was learning the route through MAP05: Lost In The Forest. It's one hell of a huge, maze-like, complicated level. And if you'll allow for a small criticism, MAP03 feels way too easy with its mostly cannon fodder enemies at its current spot. It was an opening level in an even earlier release, wasn't it? Maybe return it there for a final version?

11 minutes ago, AL-97 said:

@Jaska The hardest part, as silly as it might sound, was learning the route through MAP05: Lost In The Forest. It's one hell of a huge, maze-like, complicated level. And if you'll allow for a small criticism, MAP03 feels way too easy with its mostly cannon fodder enemies at its current spot. It was an opening level in an even earlier release, wasn't it? Maybe return it there for a final version?

I'm thinking of changing the progression on map05 but haven't figured yet how. Yes, map03 was the first map on earlier version. Have to think about it.

"So, maybe I should just finish and release all of the most finished ones and leave the others to make a sequel or something."

I think episode packs are the way to go, that way we can experience it without the long wait, but still have more to look foreword too.

And amazing work so far, but are you only doing ancient ruins? Because I was thinking Alcatraz would be perfect for this mod. But obviously take your time on it.

Edit:I already see theres a prison map so having two prison levels would be kind of redundant.  However I would still love more modern ruins, maybe something Chernobyl inspired?

Edited by Doomguy-1993

15 hours ago, Doomguy-1993 said:

"So, maybe I should just finish and release all of the most finished ones and leave the others to make a sequel or something."

I think episode packs are the way to go, that way we can experience it without the long wait, but still have more to look foreword too.

And amazing work so far, but are you only doing ancient ruins? Because I was thinking Alcatraz would be perfect for this mod. But obviously take your time on it.

Edit:I already see theres a prison map so having two prison levels would be kind of redundant.  However I would still love more modern ruins, maybe something Chernobyl inspired?

I have an idea of a map where is like division between natural and urban environment. But I'm very sure it won't be in next release..

Legxs7T.png

@Jaska just release stuff when you feel like it! Don't wait till you complete a thirty-level megawad. Everyone gets spurs of inspiration at different rates and you never know if your personal schedule will allow you to keep working on a project on a regular basis. Besides, episodic releases are more feedback-friendly too, they allow you to improve upon your weaknesses, making the next mapset that much better!

That looks amazing. But definitely take your time with individual episodes, and save the concept maps for later so you can finish up what your already working on.

This is Doom abstract-realism taken to its highest level. To say, "I'm looking forward to this" is the understatement of the year.

Soon!

Map16 need maybe some modifications and playtesting. Or if I'm lazy I'll leave it that way.

I have only the last map to complete. Not sure though if I split it into two maps. It has 2 quite different themes:

Spoiler

Progression pics:
Don't remember how long it was at this point
RCeeyv1.png

66BNWU3.png

1Eipurb.png

6b3G5G9.png

iND4tzm.png

8jLIX9l.png

1fUsoXK.png

Holy crap these screenshots are beautiful. If you'd like, I'd be extremely happy to playtest some of these maps and record video with commentary. Maybe even livestream, though I'd have to see what my internet connection thinks of that notion first.

27 minutes ago, meapineapple said:

Holy crap these screenshots are beautiful. If you'd like, I'd be extremely happy to playtest some of these maps and record video with commentary. Maybe even livestream, though I'd have to see what my internet connection thinks of that notion first.

Thanks! Well when I finish this last map I'm putting download link for all. That's because everytime I do the final wad where I remove unused textures etc. there has been problems. So I don't want to face them twice, huh.

I've made new maps from my "leftover" ídeas quite fast. Remaining problem for the rest of the maps is the same old.. I've created too big open spaces so the gameplay is now difficult to set up. Maybe I'll leave them just without monsters as a breather places.

DPbVCNE.png

hGffJ1I.png

KmVcCE2.png

iVtLVfK.png

Populating and designing action in wide open spaces is a great challenge, for sure. It's generally good not to try to force the issue too much unless your core design is focused on optimizing this kind of action, as this can quickly lead to a certain degree of slog or slow cleanup, but by the same token leaning too heavily on the atmospheric tack too often can lead to things feeling empty/underutilized after a while. Best advice, assuming that you have as many of these kinds of spaces as you seem to, is probably simply to avoid consistently treating them all in just the same way--do different things with them at different times, as the mood strikes you.

Anyway, those are great shots, as usual. The nocturnal scenes are particularly striking, emphasizing the actual darkness of night as they do, whereas outdoor night-time scenes in Doom much more often assume full moonlight, for practical as well as aesthetic reasons.

Yeah, everything in the second and third shots looks particularly striking to me too, one of my favourite rare settings in maps is exactly that spooky setting under the moonlight, added high contrasts of brightness for an even stronger experience (e.g. Sacrament map13), so that now has me eager for what's going to be like.