Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rince-wind

Problem with Heretic textures

I'm having problems when I specifically try to copy and paste a texture or decoration from Heretic.

If I copy and paste a texture from Doom 1 or from Baker's Legacy Pack (Heretic styled textures) it works fine,

but if I copy them from Heretic the colours become messed up. Anyone have a solution?

For reference I use Slade v3.1.4

You must convert the textures. Heretic uses a different palette than Doom.  In Slade select the texture you need to convert and right click. Then move the cursor to graphic and select convert to. In the convert menu select either png (truecolor) or doom gfx. 

I tried this but when it asks me to save the changes to the texture and I click OK

it gives me this message: "Error: IWAD saving disabled"

Do not try to modify heretic.wad itself.

Also since you seem to be using SLADE, make sure to select Heretic as the Base Resource Archive when working on Heretic stuff, so that it'll use the correct palette by default.

8 hours ago, Rince-wind said:

it gives me this message: "Error: IWAD saving disabled"

Not being able to save changes to the IWADs is done deliberately, so that you do not eventually wind up with an unplayable IWAD. Instead, make several backups of the IWAD first and stick them into secure locations, just in case that the unthinkable happens.

So, you made a new PWAD and that is the place where to export the images to. As you found out already you have to be aware of which palette was used for the images in a resource PWAD.

However, in the case of images in the png format, as in Baker's Legacy Pack, you do not have to worry about the palette because png images contain their own palette, as long as you use a port which supports png images, as in G/ZDOOM.

https://zdoom.org/wiki/Image_format

Sorry for the late response, but I tried what you suggested Kappes and it works perfectly!

Thanks to everyone who responded!