Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
P-Spud

Help Needed

All monsters have become invisible. This began a few weeks after I switched to a new machine using Win10. At first I thought I had accidentally toggled something in the options but haven't been able to find anything there. I was using gzdoom v3.5.1 and zdl.exe (can't find version # for this) to launch. I've tried d/ling new versions of both in case they were corrupted. Next I tried changing compatibility settings back to Win7 in properties. I even went back to the old method of running the game from a dos batch file but still have invisible monsters. They operate properly - still kill me quite nicely but they don't show.

Does anyone have ideas what's happening?

16 minutes ago, Dark Pulse said:

Wipe the config files. Failing that, update your graphics drivers.

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure how to do that. I have 2 - default.cfg and modem.cfg. Do I go into them with a text editor and delete the contents, or just delete the cfg files hoping that they will be remade? Or can I just go to "Options" and click Reset to Default"?

I don't know where those default.cfg or modem.cfg files came from. The GZDoom settings file should be gzdoom-<Windows Username>.ini in the same directory as GZDoom.

If it's not that, something is very weird and very wrong.

They were probably from a very old incarnation of the game that I've had sitting around for years. I tried resetting to default state from inside the game through the Options feature with no success.
I copied DOOMII and the gzdoom items over to a new directory and sure enough, there is the gzdoom-user.ini file. That's what you're talking about, isn't it? (I've included a screenshot)
How do I go about wiping the config files like you mentioned? I assume you were referring to gzdoom-user.ini?

DOOMII.jpg

Yuck. You don't need DOOM2.EXE in there either. That'd explain the CFG files.

Just backup gzdoom-user.ini (zip it, copy it and rename its extension to bak, whatever), then delete it and re-run GZDoom. It should generate a new, clean, default INI.

Also, there's newer releases of GZDoom - latest is 3.7.2.

Do you have an AMD card? I had the same problem because of their goddamn drivers; rolling them back worked for me. That was a while ago though, and I assume that newer versions of the drivers shouldn't have that problem anymore.

Kveller: Yes, A Radeon accelerator, which is an AMD product. I'll look into that.

Dark Pulse: Downloaded 3.7.2 and installed it into a new directory. Everything works except soldiers are still invisible.  guess it's the AMD issue.

Okay, I replaced the drivers with new ones that AMD didn't want to admit existed and it worked. After two months I can play again!

Gentlemen, thanks for your help and patience with this less-than-savvy player.