Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MeetyourUnmaker

So Doomworld what is your favorite NIN track?

Once I realized that listening to Nine Inch Nails was like reading a frustrated 16 year old girls diary, I kind of stopped listening to them. Perfect Drug was ok. Pretty Hate Machine was a decent album when I was 14.

2 hours ago, Jello said:

Once I realized that listening to Nine Inch Nails was like reading a frustrated 16 year old girls diary, I kind of stopped listening to them. Perfect Drug was ok. Pretty Hate Machine was a decent album when I was 14.

So when you play Quake, whose soundtrack was composed and performed by NIN, does that mean you're listening to a 16 year old girl's diary when she's fragging people with a Rocket Launcher? :)

Hard to choose just one...

I love the tone here. Super heavy and satisfying. NIN is one of those bands I never grew out of.

Can't choose just one track.
My favorite albuns ordered by preference (there isn't a "bad" album, I like them from 1 to 13):

1. The Fragile
2. The Downward Spiral
3. Quake OST
4. Bad Witch
5. Ghosts I-IV
6. Year Zero
7. The Slip
8. Not the Actual Events
9. Hesitation Marks
10. Add Violence
11. Broken
12. Pretty Hate Machine
13. With Teeth

On 3/31/2019 at 7:28 PM, Jello said:

haha, this is so true! But I have to say, the strongest point of NIN was always the music for me. The lyrics really lose the appeal after the teenage years.

Edited by Noiser

I basically don't know any music that's from after 1992*, and while wiki tells me they pre-date that year, I hadn't heard of them then.

And I always turn the music off in games, so I haven't even heard the Quake stuff.

* this is an exaggeration, but not as much of one as you probably think it is

I like most NIN songs used in midi form in Doom wads (such as this and in many pwads - the first I recall being Surreal2). The original NIN tracks are mostly pretty awful though. The lyrics and screaming add nothing of value. Funnily enough, I had initially assumed NIN was some awesome instrumentals-only band, kind of like Ozric Tentacles.

Edited by Grazza

I don't have just one. I've probably heard "Pretty Hate Machine", "Broken" & "The Downward Spiral" the most. 

If i had to make a short list right now it would be (in no particular order):

-Down In It (or basically anything from "Pretty Hate Machine")

-Wish

-Happiness In Slavery

-Closer

-Quake OST

I need to start listening to them more. There are quite a few different mixes on the older "singles" that are kinda neat.

Edited by CyberDreams : Edited to make shorter

Despite not really seeing Quake's OST as full NIN (despite seeing other artists' soundtracks as proper for them; maybe because this has never been released standalone), it's some of Reznor's best work. Really focused, relatively short and tight dark ambient tracks that holds up really well against others in its dark ambient era. It's always fresh, even through hearing it in Quake and alone for god knows how long. Samples are used sparingly and mostly well (except when they're computer manipulated, which a lot of dark ambient back then couldn't get right either, so 🤷🏻‍♀️), and tracks less adherent to dark ambient fit right in. Track 2/ Song I is ridiculously good in this regard, blending tzhe 'industrial metal'-esque bit with a cathartic denouement and it works so well. If tzhe 'metal' portion was much heavier than it was (and there's ambient/musique concrète out there that does tzhe job splendid), this track alone would put this OST in my favourite albums list.

Alas it didn't, and so my favourite has to be Track 9 / Song VIII, my reasons for which become obvious when you listen to it below (maximum volume yields maximum results for this track), followed by Track 4 / Song III.

(also, always hated that people try and name Quake OST's tracks? There's a good interview by another artist in this regard, where he said that he didn't title his music so as to let listeners make their own interpretations (one reason anyway, and tzhe one that's applicable in this case). I feel that applies especially to atmospheric instrumental music a la this soundtrack.)

For NIN proper, Pretty Hate Machine (and track: Terrible Lie), and its main factor is being amongst tzhe first music I got into when properly listening to music (and it's amongst my favourite album covers), so - just memories, though Terrible Lie will always be a mainstay of one of my playlists. Couldn't really get into much else NIN, not even Downward Spiral. Closest I've got was Ghosts I-IV. Oh well, maybe one day.

Currently:

It's pretty Quakey.

Also can't get enough of this instrumental version of The Big Comedown:

The Fragile is my favorite album by NIN, but the closing track to With Teeth is probably my favorite song by them.

On 4/2/2019 at 3:30 AM, amackert said:

The Fragile is my favorite album by NIN, but the closing track to With Teeth is probably my favorite song by them.

Do you mean "Right Where It Belongs", or "Right Where It Belongs v2", or "Home", or ""The Hand That Feeds" (Ruff Mix)", all of which were album closers on different variants. I'm guessing you mean the first one.

Too many to list. Can't narrow it down, really depends on my frame of mind at any given time. Here are most of my all-around favorites(not in order of preference):

Head Like a Hole

Terrible Lie

Sin

Sanctified

Down In It

Ringfinger

Mr. Self Destruct

Closer

Closer to God

The Becoming

I Do Not Want This

Reptile

Burn

The Downward Spiral (The Bottom)

Somewhat Damaged

The Day the World Went Away

The Great Below

The Way Out is Through

Into the Void

Where is Everybody?

Copy of a

Came Back Haunted

Find My Way

All Time Low

I Would For You

The entire Quake soundtrack

Oraculum (from Girl with the Dragon Tattoo)

That's quite a lot of cuts from "Hesitation Marks", an album I never listen to and can't even remember the track names from. The only NIN album that I really didn't get into, sadly.

But… listing big long lists of NIN songs isn't particularly interesting to anyone. It is very hard to pick just one (or even 5!), that's kinda the point of the question.

12 minutes ago, Jon said:

That's quite a lot of cuts from "Hesitation Marks", an album I never listen to and can't even remember the track names from. The only NIN album that I really didn't get into, sadly.

But… listing big long lists of NIN songs isn't particularly interesting to anyone. It is very hard to pick just one (or even 5!), that's kinda the point of the question.

I agree. It is extremely hard to pick just one which is why a lot of people (myself included) are more than likely going to post a bunch of songs.

I don't think i even have just 1 top favorite song from any of the bands that i listen too. Possibly a top 10 list if i were to sit and really think about it, which is why topics like these just seem a little far fetched to me. But so be it, i gave my opinion a few posts above anyways ;P

The perfect drug. Heard it first back in 96, and has never been surpassed in these 20+ years in my opinion.

Quake soundtrack (while I don't count it as NIN) is amazing. I always felt it was inspired by Coil first albums (How to destroy angels?)

On 3/31/2019 at 7:28 PM, Jello said:

I listened to NIN mostly for it's sound and less for the lyrics but have to agree with this.

I stopped enthusiastically listening to Reznor after many albums that failed to impress me as The Fragile did.

Hesitation Marks was a mess and unworthy of any comparison to TDS including Russel Mills art.

On 3/31/2019 at 6:30 PM, Master O said:

So when you play Quake, whose soundtrack was composed and performed by NIN, does that mean you're listening to a 16 year old girl's diary when she's fragging people with a Rocket Launcher? :)

That does strike me as an interesting question. Is listening to NIN's musical tracks the same as listening to the subliminal thoughts of a 16 year old girl which have been turned into music? I think it is. I have one person in mind when I say this from personal experience. And yeah, it is. And if she could've fragged people with a rocket launcher, she would have. 

But I've always loved the thought that I was shooting Trent Reznor with a grenade launcher when I hit a Scrag and heard that "Noh!'.

16 hours ago, Jon said:

I felt the same way for a long time. I was pretty thoroughly unimpressed with HM the first time I listened to it all the way through. When I gave it subsequent plays however, it really grew on me. You just have to listen to it in the right frame of mind. For some reason, the album grew a lot more on me after I listened to Trent's 40 or so minute monologue that's at the end of the track list, where he talks about the conception and recording of the album, and plays some of the scrapped tracks they didn't include. After listening to that and then giving the album another run, it grew on me a lot more. It's best if you just listen to it in a fresh state of mind, without thinking of Downward Spiral, The Fragile, etc.